Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't need 5/8 offset with 180 tire

well this is the part I hate.....

turns out you do have to use a 5/8 offset sprocket for the stock swingarm and the bandit arm. You see the bandit uses a .650" spacer but the swingarm is offset in the frame 4mm which brings us back to .490" spacer and a 5/8 offset front.

My previous measuring technique with the string was apparently inaccurate. I re-measured using a strait edge across the rim face extending to the front of the swingarm on both sides with both spacers and the .490" was the centered wheel.

Man it really sucks to be wrong again.

With a bandit 1200 swingarm or stock gs1100 swingarm using the following wheels:
    92-95 gsxr 750
    92-98 gsxr 1100
    97-02 bandit 1200
    (contact me if you can't find the offset sprocket you need. I can have them made)

The right side of the gsxr wheels are another story and a little measureing on your part will sort that out because of the diff of the brake hangers over the yrs.

NOTE.... If you cannot use a GS stock spacer between the gsxr brake hanger and the wheel. YOU HAVE TO use the gsxr spacer (they are diff sizes)even though they look identical. The brake will bind as the caliper will be misaligned. And again. you have to be sure of the yr of the wheel as the 91,92's are diff again than the 93 and up.
    Last edited by katman; 11-25-2008, 04:04 AM.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Shock clearance

This also keeps the chain from tickling the replacement shocks because the springs extend down further on Ohlins etc...than the stock GS OEM shocks.

Comment

pretty much what ive been saying since i joined the site but hey ho maybe someone will listen now

one point to remember even if the wheel is central in the arm that dont mean that the arm will be central to the frame so more measuring is required

Comment

Woooah katman slow down fella

i'm sure your measurements work perfectly well for you & your particular collection of parts mate, the point i was trying to make admittedly not very well is that everyone should measure things up for themselves as having just one part that is different to what you are using can easilly throw the whole thing down the pan

for example do you know the differance between a 95 bandit 12 arm & say an 04 one ? just asuming they are all the same as some people will is not good enough so measure measure measure same goes for wheels & sprocket carriers, frames differ slightly too even ones from the same year & model

the best way to prove the theory imo is to do it, which i have dozens of times so while i dont doubt your skills or measurements i would still measure things up & do it for myself & would always advise people to do the same

basically there can be no definitive answer to the question of wheel & chain alignment as there are too many variables imo

hope that clears that up

Comment

i've been an on and off member for a few years. i'm generally a lurker but i just wanted to say that i really appreciate all the hard work and engineering that everyone puts in to these mod posts.

tone has been a great help getting my 5.5" swap going. i think his approach is to treat each setup as a unique problem and solve it from the ground up.

katman has been an invaluable resource. he has been out there providing advice, parts, and kits for a long time. it takes a lot to completely rethink your engineering, find results contrary to your previous setup, and actually have the sand to post it and admit there is a better way. i really appreciate his willingness to let all of us learn from his hard work. i like that he's thinking wide application. why not try to come up with some universals. there's a reason so may people use the same generation gsxr setup. some time it pays to have someone else invent the wheel and ask them how they did it.

i think that both of these approaches are absolutely necessary. i like knowing that there is a tried and true rock solid setup using a basic common list of parts. i also like the fact that there are a ton of people trying off the wall parts and asking "why this?" or "why not that?"

that's what it's all about. constant tweaking and rethinking. none of these guys are happy to leave any piece of machinery well enough alone. not to get new agey but i think that tone, katman, and all of us are here to find inspiration, innovation, and advice. i'm really glad we've got such a great community of garage engineers doing it for the machines. i don't think another bike board can equal what we have here.

i don't want to hijack this thread but i thought katman's substantive posts were awesome. i'm sorry to see they're gone.

Comment

Agreed

I could not agree more..

Comment

I'm also sorry to see that katmans posts have gone
              Why have they dissapeared

i'm always willing to learn & was looking forward to trying the theroy on my next gs project, i believe that even though we work in different ways & also explain it in different ways we had both come to pretty much the same conclusion EG if i did it my way then run the numbers i doubt there would be more than a couple of thou differance

Comment

Working...
              X