Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6" wheel 200 tyre...

WEll here is the plan.

R1 swingarm which is much longer than the gs and the bandit arm but I run extensions anyway.
    5/8 offset a must? don't know. I do run a bearing support kit though.

The R1 swing is 1.5" wider at the pivot than my frame which will prove challenging. The busa rear wheel with a 200 may also be insurmountable.

I haven't seen it done or even know if it can be but if it can we will all know over the next few months.

Here is a little photoshop action

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Hello again, As i said on the other thread i'll be watching this one closely

The problem with the width of the arm could be sorted quite easily if theres enough material there to sink the bearings in a little more & trim off the exess from the ends ? although 1.5" does strike me as being a little to much for that to be an option

The next option i can think of is to replace the pivot tube with a more siutable one Eg one from an old suzuki arm, but again the problem will be the width of the brace where it joins the tube

The last & most drastic option i can think of is to widen the frame, not too hard to do if you have a jig & can weld to a good standard but maybe more work that you wanted to do, although it would help a hell of a lot with the chain run problem we suspect you will have

hope thats given you some idea's
    cheers tone

Comment

Thanks Tone,

I am thinking of two ideas. One is after lopping off the extra material, to sleeve the pivot as it is molded and hollow except for the bearing area which will be removed anyway when shortened.

The other was to weld a gs pivot to the front of the swing after removing the r1 pivot area.

I know..... its major surgery. I am doing it partly cuz I don't know if it can be done with a centered wheel and untouched frame. There is just enough room after its cut to get it into the frame. Of course rearsets will be a must I imagine.

It will be much like you said in the other thread.... lots of head scratchin and fabbin.

I am pretty sure I will get the 190 in with a 520. Its the 300 tyre that has me really worried! ahaha just kidding
      Last edited by katman; 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Why Not a 300?

I like the idea of a 300 but you would need a jackshaft or go with a 3" offset sprocket. But a simpler way could be just a Busa arm? It's about 2" longer than the GS arm and the pivot is the same width as the rest od the GSXR arms. I think 1/8" wider? Then your rear Busa wheel will also slot right in. Of a small note, the inner bearing races of the stock GS1100 have the correct diameter as the internal diameter of the Busa inner bearing races. As they are the same as the pivot bolt diameter. Hence, you could just use the inner spacers to mount up the Busa arm.
        Just a thought as I am trying to decide which way to go with my Kat as I have a widened GSXR600 wheel which is 6.5" wide.
        Laters
        GREG
        sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
        2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
        Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
        '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.:eek:

Comment

Thanks Greg,

I was kidding about the 300mm though.

I was looking at a busa swing a couple yrs ago and yes it would be a good fit but what I like about the r1 is its a bottom brace. I will be retaining my twin shock setup.

I have a gsxr 1000 arm here too which is also a much better fit but I rarely do things the easy way.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

300s dont hook up at all. bowling balls.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBars View Post
              300s dont hook up at all. bowling balls.
              yeh but you can get off your bike and not use the kickstand.
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Mine has a 6 inch wheel but only a 180 tyre and we had to do some serious frame massaging to get it to work.Although I am using a 530 chain so going to 520 would allow a 190 so I don't think a 200 is out of the question. One thing we did find when doing mine is not all tyres are created equal some 180s actually measure 185 some almost 190 at their widest point.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveA View Post
                  Well mine has a 6 inch wheel but only a 180 tyre and we had to do some serious frame massaging to get it to work.
                  Thats one beautiful machine Steve. What is the rim and what is your rear wheel spacer width and what is chain tire clearence, and, and, and.....I am guessing since your well into the frame your offset sprocket is over 5/8"

Is that a hydrolic clutch res I see on the left side?
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Steve just my opinion mate but a 180 on a 6" rim really isnt a good idea mate as the tyre will be well out of shape

Comment

Nice contact patch for drag racing though..
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Drag racing ? isnt that going fast in a straight line ? cant think of anything more boring tbh mate

Comment

wow

and they said it couldn't be done...Serious stuff here...gonna follow this thread to the end...
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM.

Comment

What about a R6 swingarm and R6 rear wheel? That'd get you a 5.5"x17" rear wheel which will prove easier in terms of chain alignment etc. Or is the point of this the super-fat 200 rear tire?

Comment

It's a Dymag wheel 5/8th offset front sprocket and slightly longer spacer as well. The rear sprocket carrier also had to have some machining done to it.
                              Profile looks good to me. A common mod on the gixxer thou racers is to fit a 180 rear to get the bike to turn quicker.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X