No announcement yet.

Fresh rejet, won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Burp, when you say it acts like it wants to start, what exactly is it doing? Have you pulled a spark plug to see if it's wet?

Actually, I'd recommend pulling all 4 plugs, Cranking it for 2-3 secs and let it sit for 30 minutes. You may have flooded it in your previous tries.

Also, did you bench sync the carbs at some point?

My weekend won't be complete if you can't get it started and ride it around the block a few times.
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hard start/no start is often a symptom of a poor bench synch. The bench synch, even if done well, still needs to be followed by a vacuum tool synch. The vacuum tool synch is as important to jetting as the jet selection itself. To me, the bench synch is basically to allow start up. It's not accurate enough to consider final.
      To do a good job of bench synching the VM carbs and to allow the bike to run decently in preparation for the vacuum tool synch...
      I couldn't get a link to work, so do the search I did. I made this detailed VM carb bench synch post that's easy to follow.
      Go to the Technical Section, using the search feature, type in 78 GS1K (be sure to put a space between the 8 and G). About 18 threads down is the topic "78 GS1K carb rejet"... click that and go to page 4, reply #36.
      After the bench synch, and assuming nothing else is wrong, the bike should start and allow you to warm it up. Once warmed up fully, adjust the side air screws using the highest rpm method. After that's done, vacuum tool synch. After that you can accurately test the jetting. If you later find that your jet needles must be adjusted again, you must re-bench and vacuum tool synch because every time the VM jet needles are disturbed, you must re-synch.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Hard start/no start is often a symptom of a poor bench synch. The bench synch, even if done well, still needs to be followed by a vacuum tool synch. The vacuum tool synch is as important to jetting as the jet selection itself. To me, the bench synch is basically to allow start up. It's not accurate enough to consider final...
        Isn't that one of the things I paid the guy in Oregon to do? I mean, if I were charging somebody $250 for a rebuild, I'd probably punctuate the job by finishing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          So, Burp, when you say it acts like it wants to start, what exactly is it doing? Have you pulled a spark plug to see if it's wet?
          Yeah, I pulled them all. Dry. Of course, that was when I was trying to start it without the breather hoses attatched. In fact, that was what led me to suspect that the capped off hose might have something to do with fuel delivery. I've got an hour on my hands right now. I'm going to go look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by burp reynolds View Post
            I've got an hour on my hands right now. I'm going to go look into that.

umm.. It's been a lot longer than 1 hour now. WE WANT ANSWERS!! lol

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
              umm.. It's been a lot longer than 1 hour now. WE WANT ANSWERS!! lol
              Alright, alright! Plugs were wettish and #3 had a weird chunk of soot connecting the probe to the post. It was the with of the probe and appeard to be laterally segmented, like a tapeworm. I stood the bike more upright and switched the petcock to the PRI position, and then watched the fuel level rise in the filter. Waited a few seconds and threw the switch. This time the cranking was much faster than previous attempts, and there appeared to be some kind of steady compustion occurring, then it slowed down to the speed of the starter again. I adjusted the fuel screws inward 1/4 turn. Signs of life disappeared. I left for work.

Comment

Isn't that one of the things I paid the guy in Oregon to do? I mean, if I were charging somebody $250 for a rebuild, I'd probably punctuate the job by finishing it.
                is that the guy in Sweet Home?

One would thnk he'd bench sync

But I don't see where he says he replaces the O rings
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

is that the guy in Sweet Home?

One would thynk he'd bench sync

But I don't see where he says he replaces the O rings
                  Yup. All that I can tell was replaced were the gaskets, and to his credit, he offered to take another look at them if I paid the shipping one way. Honestly though, I don't get the sense that he's making too much off of these jobs. He said that one in ten has problems like this. I can't imagine they'd keep offering this service if their success rate were worse than that. I'm not going to talk **** on the guy. He's trying to work on bikes that are 1,000 miles away. I wouldn't want that job.

Comment

Yup. All that I can tell was replaced were the gaskets, and to his credit, he offered to take another look at them if I paid the shipping one way. Honestly though, I don't get the sense that he's making too much off of these jobs. He said that one in ten has problems like this. I can't imagine they'd keep offering this service if their success rate were worse than that. I'm not going to talk **** on the guy. He's trying to work on bikes that are 1,000 miles away. I wouldn't want that job.
                    If you're going to send them back to him, go to cycleorings.com and order up a set for your bike. Send them with the carbs and ask to have them installed (this is assuming he didn't replace them in the 1st place)

It sounds like the jets are still clogged if the plugs are dry.

You can always go to jetsrus.com and order up a new set of jets

However, if you're at all mechanical, you can just finish the cleaning yourself. Pull the carbs, pull the bowls, pull the jets and needles. Spray carb cleaner into all the passages. Put the jets into a 35mm film canister, spray it about 1/2 full of carb cleaner, agitate it, then put in in yout pocket as you doing stuff. Agitate it about every 1/2 hour.

After a few hours, dry the jets and check their bores by holding them up to a light.

Install the new O rings (if not previously done) , set the needles and bench sync.

It should fire right up.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

However, if you're at all mechanical, you can just finish the cleaning yourself.

Install the new O rings (if not previously done)

Doing it yourself isn't too overwhelming. Here's bikecliff's site with instructions for doing just about anything you could want to do to your bike:

check it out and see if it seems like something you might want to do when you read the instructions.

and don't forget the o-rings

Comment

I can't say what he did, didn't do or possibly did incorrectly.
                        I do know he wasn't correct in determining which main jet to use for the pod use. And I'm doubting he touched the jet needle e-clips from what I've read. Actually, the jet needles are more important because you typically spend the most time operating on them. So it sounds like he doesn't have much experience jetting for your situation. That's not saying anything bad about his work or an insult, just that he hasn't jetted them even close.
                        As for a bench synch being done, I don't know either. All I do know is going way back in my younger days, we started many a bike after a carb rebuild/cleaning and quickly learned we needed to bench synch decently or the bike will just crank and sputter 'til the battery dies. We then learned how important and how much better a bike ran once we learned how to synch with a vacuum tool. And of course, even if he did a bench synch, it may not be done well. If he did it well, then there's some other reason the bike won't start. Regardless, it still needs to be vacuum tool synched because the carbs have to be on the bike to do that.
                        Without being there to see the bike, there could be lots of reasons the bike won't run. A poor synch is one of them. Incorrect float levels is another (they should be right in the middle of the factory range which is .94/95"). Intake leaks will cause this too. It's best to replace the manifold o-rings when removing the carbs if they've been in service a number of years. The manifolds too, must be checked for good condition.
                        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yes! Yes!!! Yyessssss!!!

...Install the new O rings (if not previously done) , set the needles and bench sync.

It should fire right up.
                          Just tried some new plugs, and KER-BOOOM! Instant success! Thanks for the links, Big T, thanks for all of the tutorials, Keith and everybody, I would have lost motivation long before I did if it weren't for all the harassment. The bench sync is spot on, and if anybody knows where to get a vacuum sync tool, I'd appreciate a lead on that. The 100 jets are running great with the stock setup, so I'm going to leave them in and see if my fuel economy goes up or down. Thanks again, everyone, this thread is resolved.

Suddenly I feel like something's missing...

***UPDATE***

Just took it across town to deliver some coffee (I microroast if anybody wants to find out what the best coffee in the world tastes like) and the thing wants to rip the bars out of my hands. It won't quite do this, but it's got bawls considering the altitude.
                          Last edited by Guest; 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                            ...bikecliff's site ...http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

and don't forget the o-rings
                            Oh sure, like almost everyone who has turned to the GSR in times of trouble, I have bikeclif's site bookmarked and refer to it often.

And the manifold boots were replaced last year. I'd think the o-rings would have been too, but I'll order some anyway if it'll make you guys happy.

Comment

Just took it across town to deliver some coffee (I microroast if anybody wants to find out what the best coffee in the world tastes like) and the thing wants to rip the bars out of my hands. It won't quite do this, but it's got bawls considering the altitude.
                              This is why I said not to start out modding the motor. Get your tires, suspension and riding upgraded first. The 1000 is a torque monster and in everyday riding has more than enough oomph to outrun most of the vehicles on the road. I regularly ride mine up to 4,000' with no discernable loss of power.

See, BR, you did it just in time to make my week end.

As far as carb sync tools go, there's a few threads on that , so use Search. The Morgan Carbtune gets good reviews from everyone, me included. I've had mercury sticks in the past and would never go back to them.
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I fixed your link.. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X