1983 GS1100E Cheap easy mods thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update ..

I have purchased (since this thread was started)

- oil pump from a 1979 GS750

- 1984 GS1150 cams

Josh .. you up for some tinkering this summer ?

Comment

Oil pumps are all the same, it is the pump GEARS you want to change. Ray.

Comment

Yep .. this just came that way

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Oil pumps are all the same, it is the pump GEARS you want to change. Ray.

Comment

degree the intake cam and you can get a little more out of it also! even the 1150 cam. Generally, change the main jets, with pods and 4into1 go up 2, so if the jet is a 110 go to 115. a/f adjust and you can toy with the floats a bit for lean to rich adjustment.

Comment

OK thanks .

Now.. how does one go about degreeing a cam ?

Comment

First you need to get some slotted cam sprockets. Try APE for these.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

oil pump gears

use 16v oil pump gears on 16v gs1100.I used them when I roadraced a gs1100.It doubles oil pump volume.never had top end problems again,even when VERY low on oil while endurance racing.

Comment

Aren't the stock ones 16v ?

Originally posted by limeex2 View Post
                  use 16v oil pump gears on 16v gs1100.I used them when I roadraced a gs1100.It doubles oil pump volume.never had top end problems again,even when VERY low on oil while endurance racing.

Comment

can the stock ones be milled out at a machine shop or is there another advantage to the APE ones ?

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    First you need to get some slotted cam sprockets. Try APE for these.

Comment

Open up the tiny vent in the side of the fuel filler neck, lets the tank be topped off completely in a few seconds, rather than a few minutes...Note to newbs, don't top it off unless you are going to hop on and ride several miles immediately.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good one ..

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Open up the tiny vent in the side of the fuel filler neck, lets the tank be topped off completely in a few seconds, rather than a few minutes...Note to newbs, don't top it off unless you are going to hop on and ride several miles immediately.

Comment

You can slot the bolt holes in your stock sprockets instead of buying sprockets. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray

Do you enlong them both directions ?

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            You can slot the bolt holes in your stock sprockets instead of buying sprockets. Ray.

Comment

Do you enlong them both directions ?
                              I myself setup the degree wheel and take measurements as to where the cams are. With this info decide which way you want to move the cams and how far.
                              You can file the slots by hand, start with say ½ diameter added to the slot.
                              Assemble with the cam rolled to the end of your new slot and measure again.
                              Look over your numbers. Determine if you went the right way? How much change you got and do you need more or can you back it off a bit.
                              With this you can end up with the minimal removed from the area the bolts clamp onto.

The first time you do it, take your time and check each measurement. Some people get confused with the math involved so take it as a learning experience.
                              Each engine wants a different setting so start with what is recommended but you may ride it and after awhile go through it again with a bit different timing and see how it feels.

Comment

Thanks Charlie ..

Over my head right now .. but I will learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X