GS1000 top end oiler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 top end oiler?

Does anyone with a GS1000 run a top end oiler or have you seen it done? I've got some lumpy .395 lift Web cams along with a 1100 cc Wiseco piston kit in the GS, run it to redline often, and sometimes wonder if the cams get enough oil.

Also, will these oil pump gears fit in a GS1000 motor? http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...showprevnext=1
    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 12:16 AM.

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Does anyone with a GS1000 run a top end oiler or have you seen it done? I've got some lumpy .395 lift Web cams along with a 1100 cc Wiseco piston kit in the GS, run it to redline often, and sometimes wonder if the cams get enough oil.

Also, will these oil pump gears fit in a GS1000 motor? http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...showprevnext=1
    I don't think you can run a top end oiler on an 8 valve...at least I've never seen one. Not sure where you would run the lines? The "mod" is with high volume oil pump gears. That's what I did. The ones you show in the link should work. You can double-check by looking at a Suzuki parts fische for the GS750 and count the teeth in the gears. Actually I think they tell you how many teeth there are.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Those gears fit, thats what I bought. I guess you can probably make a top end oiler. Maybe feed lines off the pressure switch to the to the valvecover or side of the head? But would you need too? I think the head gets plenty of oil as is. If you notice whenever you take off your valvecover. The buckets are always sitting in a puddle of oil. Once again, I'm no expert, just my opinion. I will be running the same cams with shim under buckets.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Do oil pumps ever wear out? Should I replace the oil pump along with those higher pressure oil pump gears while the clutch has been removed? The motor did 40K miles before the top end rebuild.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
          Thanks for the help guys. Do oil pumps ever wear out? Should I replace the oil pump along with those higher pressure oil pump gear while the clutch has been removed? The motor did 40K miles before the top end rebuild.
          If you have a manual, there is a way to check the clearances on the pump. They don't typically wear out, but I would replace the two orings that are behind it. They can get old and leak causing lost efficiency. I also replaced those nasty phillips head screws.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

I took my pump apart and cleaned it. The clearences were tight, It seemed like it was brand new still, so I put it back in.

Comment

Are you guys sure adding those gears is a good idea? The 8V GS engines are already prone to oil leaks at the upper end oil feed passages and won't this just put those joints under even more stress? The 8V cams/buckets have a large wipe area and wear on cam surfaces is just not an issue with these engines. Also, the valve pockets in the head hold quite a bit of oil so the cams are flooded so to speak anyway aren't they? Not sure about journal wear though.

Just asking.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

.395 are baby lumps!! using shim on top still

I have a .510 and a .480 set. running to 11000 rpm and I only put 2 Qt oil in the case. there is 2 options on gear ratio for your engine oil pump.

the 38-29 is the hi flow hi pressure option of the two--HOWEVER I use the 33-34 ratio for less drag. no need for a extra oiling
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

tip to tip and trichoidal rotor to flat pump body are the 2 measurements to see if there is excessive space that creates cavitation and lesser pumping effy.
                  oiling is never been a problem for 2V like nessism said there are 8 pools of beautiful oil baths up there, so much it just ooozzes out every sealing surface.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
                    Those gears fit, thats what I bought. I guess you can probably make a top end oiler. Maybe feed lines off the pressure switch to the to the valvecover or side of the head? But would you need too? I think the head gets plenty of oil as is. If you notice whenever you take off your valvecover. The buckets are always sitting in a puddle of oil. Once again, I'm no expert, just my opinion. I will be running the same cams with shim under buckets.
                    if you shelled out the money for under buckets why not just buy the bigger cams? I would go for bigger cams if I already had under buckets, but since I am being cheap I'll keep my stock buckets for now and run the web 110 grind like most people.

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                    If you have a manual, there is a way to check the clearances on the pump. They don't typically wear out, but I would replace the two orings that are behind it. They can get old and leak causing lost efficiency. I also replaced those nasty phillips head screws.

Hey Bruce, where did you get you bolts from? have any extras?

Trip, I reconize the 29/38 gears as 16v 750's but are the others just plain 1000 stockers?
                    Last edited by first timer; 12-09-2008, 12:25 PM.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post

Hey Bruce, where did you get you bolts from? have any extras?
                      If you mean the recessed allen heads, I got them from TomMLC. He has more I think. I used them where you see and also where the carbs mount to the carb rack bracket. Be careful replacing them... there are two different sizes. In a few spots, if you use one that's too long, it will rub against the tranny gears. You can cross-reference the length from the Suzuki fiche.
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

So are higher volume/pressure oil pump gears needed if you plan on using an oil cooler? I plan on using 10 row Earl's cooler like what Nessism has and an oil thermostat to divert oil back to the engine till it reaches operating temperature. A bit concerned too about oil leaks with the higher volume/pressure gears - anyone had a problem with this? According to the service manual for the 16V 750 the oil pressure on that motor is a minimum 43 PSI which is many times more than a stock GS1000 oil pump makes.

Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM.

Comment

The specs for the 750 are different because it is a plain crank motor. All the plain cranks run higher psi. All you will be doing by adding those gears to your motor is increasing the volume, not the psi. I have found that by adding the 750 gears the oil psi only goes up by 2 or 3 psi on the roller bearing crank motors.

You don't need to use the 750 gears just to run the oil cooler. My Skunk has stock oil pump gears, and they still run alot of volume. You can see my oil cooler lines "pulse" when you give it some gas.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Dont forget, a 16v 750 uses plain crank bearings. So it requires High pressure. I ran an oil cooler on my 8v 750 for a little while. No leakes besides the old cracked hose's I was using.

That oil cooler looks a little big. I will be running a 7 row setrab cooler which is a bit narrower also. No t stat.

Comment

Working...
                            X