header wrap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

header wrap?

Thinking about, well I want to, wrap my header to help control radiant heat, But I have a chrome V/H. Will this ruin the finish on the pipe in case I want to unwrap in the future?
    Also if I find and use an old unplated pipe will wrap accellerate the rust problem from moisture being held in the wrap when it rains or washing?

this is like an oil thread

Wrap them, loose the finish, was my past experiences.
    It depends on many variables, but if you have a nice set of pipes I personally would not (if you ever plan to remove it sometime down the road).

JMO nothing more.

Ron

Comment

Probably better to have your header ceramic coated (inside & outside) for best results, or shoot some ceramic paint to coat another un-chromed header, if you want to DIY. I bookmarked this link for a product I would like to try....should be a fraction of the cost of having the pipe professionally coated. Let us know, if you do try it.

If you wrap an old header, rust problems are inevitable, IMHO.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

In my experience with cars wrapping your header is only for track cars that are never driven in the rain. On a bike the problem would be the same I think. Since most bikes don't see rain then it may not be an issue. The wrap will hold onto moisture and accelerate rust. If the pipe is rusted to begin with it will just rust faster. I would also suggest ceramic coating your header.

Comment

Working...
        X