No announcement yet.

My new project w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Her are some before pics, one with the original exhaust and one after the header install.

Here is a pic of the block mocked up, side covers arent finished.

Comment

Did you remove the crank or rebuild the bottom end?

I have an 82 750 and might just replace the #1 bearing and throw it back in the bike instead of going ahead with the 1100 swap.

Vac. petcock stuck open and washed out the #1 bearing.

I ran the **** out of mine and had no problems...its a stout motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Harrop View Post
        Did you remove the crank or rebuild the bottom end?

I have an 82 750 and might just replace the #1 bearing and throw it back in the bike instead of going ahead with the 1100 swap.

Vac. petcock stuck open and washed out the #1 bearing.

I ran the **** out of mine and had no problems...its a stout motor.
        Its completely apart. The main bearings look good and measure between 1.5 and 2 thou so I am reusing them, the rod bearings are a bit chewed up so I am replacing them.
        Before the rebuild mine would do 100 mph in fourth way below redline. Any faster and I think my head would get ripped off from the wind

Comment

You may want to add an oil cooler and adapter to your shopping list with those mods as more power = more heat.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            You may want to add an oil cooler and adapter to your shopping list with those mods as more power = more heat.
            Yes, I would love to, but from my searches i can't find any way of putting one on my engine. Nearest thing I can see is an 1150 oil filter cover with the lines connected to it, but they were made for low pressure systems. I read that i could starve it for oil by using that cover.

Comment

Cases are together. Waiting for my stainless bolt kit and the top end from the machine shop

Comment

The barrels are on
                Had to order 8 new exhaust valves @$30 ea OUCH!!
                Better than the $64 each they wanted for them locally

Comment

Looking good! I need to take more pics when I work. I get too caught up in what I'm doing.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What cams are you putting in it? If using stock cams & you want top end power, degree the exhaust cam at 108 & the intake at 106. If you want bottom end & mid range, set them at 104 & 102. The exhaust always 2 degrees bigger #. If using aftermarket cams let us know which ones for recommendations. Ray.

Comment

There is a company that makes carbon fiber versions of the ignition covers. If you're interested I can get you more info (don't have it on hand).

Comment

I am going to run the stock cams for now and enjoy the extra midrange the displacement will give me, and if I need more on top I will get cams for it.
                        I dont have any equipment to degree the cams, so I am going to install them as the manual says.

Comment

Very cool project. Any mods planned besides the motor? I love the fact that you're 'blacking' the motor. Please share details on what all your short and long range plans are for this bike.

Comment

You really should degree in the cams. Get a dial indicator from Harbor Freight, print the degree wheel from "in the garage", drill a piece of metal to mount the dial indicator and either get some APE cam sprockets or machine the stock sprockets.
                            We'll help you do it.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hey Ray

How bout he do some 80-82 1100E cams? That is what I'm planning

Gearhead: Nice work.

Pos
                              Last edited by posplayr; 01-19-2009, 04:04 AM.

Comment

I will look into scaring up a dial indicator and degree wheel locally.
                                So, those numbers that Ray had were they at .050 lift?

Comment

Working...
                                X