My new project w/pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
    I will look into scaring up a dial indicator and degree wheel locally.
    So, those numbers that Ray had were they at .050 lift?
    Yes.................
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
      Very cool project. Any mods planned besides the motor? I love the fact that you're 'blacking' the motor. Please share details on what all your short and long range plans are for this bike.
      I dont have anything radical planned for the bike right now. I do want to get better rubber for it, and improve the braking. Little stuff like recovering the seat and getting a new side panel for it and paint. An aluminum swingarm would be cool with a wider rear tire.

Comment

Engine is in and running!!!

Man is my back sore right now. The wife said you will never get it in yourself. I did it, just takes some sweat, patience and muscle.
        Running good, needs some fine tuning, but sounds crisper and nastier than before.
        How long will a new engine blow smoke for? I started it in our underground parking and filled it with smoke
        I hope the weather holds out and i can go for a ride tomorrow, supposed to snow

Comment

It looks good! Take it out & put some miles on it, varying rpm from idle to 6000 rpm but NEVER lug it! Ray.

Comment

Thanks, Ray.
            Thanks to this site and all the nice bikes that inspired me or this would never have been done.
            This project has been a real treat the last couple of days, FINALLY having all the parts to finish, getting the engine together last night and installing it today. I have built lots of engines from dirtbikes to hotrods but this was my first street bike.

Comment

Personally I would give it 2 or 3 heat cycles, then go out and give it some hard accelleration and engine braking runs to seat the rings. Like Ray said, never lug it. I'm a fan of "drive it like you stole it" to make sure the rings seal really good and as fast as possible. Engine braking using the gears is just as important as accelleration to ensure a good seal. BTW...really nice job you done!

Greg

Comment

Gearhead, where did you order your stainless bolt kit? Im about to tear down and rebuild my 1980 GS750 and never liked using steel with aluminum. This being my first Japanese bike I wanna do it all correct the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                  Gearhead, where did you order your stainless bolt kit? Im about to tear down and rebuild my 1980 GS750 and never liked using steel with aluminum. This being my first Japanese bike I wanna do it all correct the first time.
                  I got my stainless bolts from www.stainlesscycle.com
                  I ordered the 16v 1100 kit as they are virtually the same as the 80-82 750.

Comment

hello

what is that extra piece on the oil filter cover.. mine is an 84 so it doesnt have it.. just wanted to know.thanx

Comment

Originally posted by marz View Post
                      what is that extra piece on the oil filter cover.. mine is an 84 so it doesnt have it.. just wanted to know.thanx
                      That is the cover for the oil pressure sensor warning light and oil temp gauge sensor.

Comment

If you guys are using stainless screws, make SURE you put Anti-Seize on the threads as stainless galls in aluminum WAY easier than steel! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Bottle_Fed View Post
                          Personally I would give it 2 or 3 heat cycles, then go out and give it some hard accelleration and engine braking runs to seat the rings. Like Ray said, never lug it. I'm a fan of "drive it like you stole it" to make sure the rings seal really good and as fast as possible. Engine braking using the gears is just as important as accelleration to ensure a good seal. BTW...really nice job you done!

Greg
                          But drive it like you stole AFTER you have allowed the engine to get up to operating temp
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                            I got my stainless bolts from www.stainlesscycle.com
                            I ordered the 16v 1100 kit as they are virtually the same as the 80-82 750.
                            Thanks. Ive been looking for a sourse for a SS bolt kit. I hate using steel with Loonyum.

Comment

I have had time to take the bike out a few times and it feels like a rocket!
                              I would be riding it more, but its hovering around freezing temp here right now. Only about 20kms.

Comment

Nice build man she looks nice I only wish they had a piston kit for my bike.

Good job.

Comment

Working...
                                X