No announcement yet.

cheapest jet kit around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about the pricing, but I get all my stuff from carb parts warehouse in Cleveland. Might be worth the call. http://www.carbparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
      Hey, they're junk, we agree, never implied you were making anything up. Was just asking.

Are the Z1 mains poor quality? Have you heard of problems from them? They're not much cheaper than the jets Sudco and JetsRUS.com offer as genuine Mikuni jets, for around $3-4/per. Are the jets that Dynojet uses genuine Mikuni? They use their own part numbers, so I can't tell...
      and on the dynojet jet question..
      years ago the jetkit jets supplyed wasnt the size marked on them.
      if they said 130...could be closer to a 125 or a 135 mik size.
      they did this to make it not so easy to try and duplicate there parts.
      now a days, im not sure if what the D/J jet says is the same as mikuni's.

Comment

Dynojet does, or at least did, use their own main jet design. And blower is correct, the needles in CV carbs ar the main reason for going with a jet kit. Certainly you can throw bigger mains in and shim the needles. But for CV carbs a jet kit will put you in the ballpark right off the bat. Years ago before picking up a set of RS Mikunis I ran a Kerker K2, K&N pods, and a DJ kit. The bike ran just fine with the DJ kit.

Comment

i guess i didnt research the topic enough. i read alot about the dynojet kit, and thought it was what i needed. my bike has VM26 carbs. oh well, if the kit doesnt work, ill just buy the mikuni jets. i thought i was doing the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
            Dynojet does, or at least did, use their own main jet design. And blower is correct, the needles in CV carbs ar the main reason for going with a jet kit. Certainly you can throw bigger mains in and shim the needles. But for CV carbs a jet kit will put you in the ballpark right off the bat. Years ago before picking up a set of RS Mikunis I ran a Kerker K2, K&N pods, and a DJ kit. The bike ran just fine with the DJ kit.

thanks for the honest opinion billy.
            im not sure why im the bad guy here.
            im not trying to sell anything.
            in the off months in ohio i am dead in the water and get bored.
            i offer the folks from this board what ive learned over quite a few years of doing the GS's and i wont back down when someone questions my knowledge..period.
            i have nothing to gain by offering help here except knowing i maybe saved someone a few bucks or several headaches from the trial and error and mis-imformation that runs amuck on the internet and in person.
            sometimes people should think and think again before typing.
            happy newyears

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
              i guess i didnt research the topic enough. i read alot about the dynojet kit, and thought it was what i needed. my bike has VM26 carbs. oh well, if the kit doesnt work, ill just buy the mikuni jets. i thought i was doing the right thing.
              If you haven't already bought the kit try tuning your carbs first. The VM series carbs already have adjustable needles and a pretty broad amount of tuning can be done to them as they are with the addition of bigger mains. This may seem in conflict with what blower and I have tried to get across, but his and my comments are related to CV carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                If you haven't already bought the kit try tuning your carbs first. The VM series carbs already have adjustable needles and a pretty broad amount of tuning can be done to them as they are with the addition of bigger mains. This may seem in conflict with what blower and I have tried to get across, but his and my comments are related to CV carbs.

i have a 4-1 dragpipe and will have very unrestrictive filters on the carbs, or maybe just velocity stacks. ive read about shimming the needle, but my goal is to get the a/f pretty much nuts-on thru the entire rpm band. i figured the jetkit was a good place ot start. im no stranger to tuning, albiet cars and 2strokes, but i figured the kit was as good a place as any to go from stock. im not versed with the mikuni VM26, but i asumed with what i had, stock needles and jets wouldnt get the job done.

Comment

ok, i know you guys are havin a heated thing bout jet kits but here goes
                  i got a 1982 gs650g running pod air filters with a 4 into 1 pipe with the stock carbs. i've bored out the main with a bike mechanic friends kit and a larger pilot... only went up 1 size in the pilot and ended up puttin back in the stock size. so now the bike runs fairly good but does still have somethin missin i feel. i don't think i should have ahd to go up quit as mush as i have with the main and i've been thinkin stage three jet kit mainly for the smaller needles.
                  sorry to be so long winded in the setup but what the hell are they including drill bits and a screw in the kit for? i'm thinkin there is appearently more to this than i had realized. so what all IS invovled in installin the stage 3 kit?

Comment

Originally posted by kokopelli View Post
                    ok, i know you guys are havin a heated thing bout jet kits but here goes
                    i got a 1982 gs650g running pod air filters with a 4 into 1 pipe with the stock carbs. i've bored out the main with a bike mechanic friends kit and a larger pilot... only went up 1 size in the pilot and ended up puttin back in the stock size. so now the bike runs fairly good but does still have somethin missin i feel. i don't think i should have ahd to go up quit as mush as i have with the main and i've been thinkin stage three jet kit mainly for the smaller needles.
                    sorry to be so long winded in the setup but what the hell are they including drill bits and a screw in the kit for? i'm thinkin there is appearently more to this than i had realized. so what all IS invovled in installin the stage 3 kit?
                    It's the needles in the kits you really need for CV carbs. The drill bit is to enlarge the hole in the bottom of the slides to compensate for more air flowing through the carbs and causing more vacuum, thus raising the slides higher than needed. The screw is there to remove the caps from the idle mixture adjustment screws.

Comment

I agree that the Dynojet kits may not be the "end all" product for every circumstance, but they seem to take a lot of guess work out of the equation and get you at least in the ballpark for about $100. You may not be out $100 by trying different jetting/needle configurations on your own (although you might), but the time involved in pulling/reinstalling the carbs (if you keep the airbox) on some models will quickly make $100 seem like a bargain if it saves you two to five carb removals/installations.

My own experience with Dynojet kits is fairly limited (three bikes, all GSes with CV carbs), but I'm happy with the results in each case. All of my bikes have the stock airbox, stock exhausts, and K&N OEM-style replacement elements.

On the 700, I purchased the combined Stage I/III kit that normally sells for about $110. I got one off ebay for $40. I installed the Stage I stuff and followed the directions verbatim. Bear in mind that I've owned this bike for over 20 years, and it was entirely stock the whole time. What I immediately noticed was:

- warm up time on a chilly morning went from 3-5 minutes to less than a minute
                      - the midrange stumble from 4K-6K rpms was gone. Power is now much more linear from 3K through redline
                      - the plugs went from grey (a bit lean) to the perfect toasted marshmallow beige color on plug chops at all throttle positions
                      - mileage during general riding dropped from about 43-46 mpg to 40-43 mpg

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the results.

My '81 750E and my wife's 550L both became happier as well with the Stage I kits. The 750's warm up time also dropped drastically, and it's mid range improved noticeably. I didn't have enough experience with the 550 to really get all the details on it's operating performance (I installed a kit as soon as I had it running), but I can say that it takes a lot less choke to fire up, and idles well within a minute or two, not five to ten minutes like it needed before (the cv-equipped 550s were notoriously lean, and even borderline unrideable in '82, their last year of production).

Stage III kits with pods and such I can't report on firsthand, but I've talked to many people who have used them, and generally the consensus is that they are either spot on, or close enough to save you a lot of time.

Your mileage may vary, of course....
                      sigpic

SUZUKI:
                      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

i've got a good deal of hands on with carbs for someone who just "plays" with them and doesn't do it for a living

my two brothers have had between them, a '79 cb750k, '82 cx500custom, '93 750 virago, and a '81 650 maxim
                        i've had 6 different bikes myself, honda yamaha and suzukis... all old... all needed work but got em at good prices
                        i've spent more time than i even wanna think about learning carbs and carb tuning through the school of hard knocks. i've never bought a jet kit aside from a couple rebuild kits but i can say this, if they can even come close to what you need with the first attempt then they are worth it!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X