Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
    blah!!!!!!
    Is that the extent of your vocabulary?

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
      Is that the extent of your vocabulary?

for the most part,
      yes.
      atleast on a thread where someone try's to explain to a person the correct way things should be done to make there motorcycle run properly.
      this thread is about the cheapest price on jet kits, not how to shim fat/blunt needles and install larger main jets just to get a sub-par running motorcycle.

Comment

for the most part,
        yes.
        atleast on a thread where someone try's to explain to a person the correct way things should be done to make there motorcycle run properly.
        this thread is about the cheapest price on jet kits, not how to shim fat/blunt needles and install larger main jets just to get a sub-par running motorcycle.
        You are certainly welcome to your point of view -- but I totally disagree that the Dynojet kits are the best way to go - they are a '1-size-fits-all' solution that doesn't always work. Jetting with the correct jets is the way to go.

By your reasoning, MacDonalds hamburgers would be the best food on the market as they sell lots of them... I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by pjm204 View Post
          I'm pretty sure he meant that he got two sets of main jets for $20 and not that he bought $20 pod filters.
          Yes I meant $ 20.00 worth of jets not the pods.

"your 20.00 <pods> are as/more restrictive than the stock air box.
          let me guess...
          really prettty chrome emgo's cones?"

If you think the pods are as/more restrictive than the stock air box with two 3/4 holes in it, you seriously need to put down the crack pipe!

Further more I am not saying what I did was right or the only way to do it I am just saying what I did. I spent less than $25.00 and my bike runs great it will break the rear tire shifting into second on a 81 GS750. I spent the other $75.00 plus dollars on beer!

Oh I did forget one small thing I had to dremel the slots on the coil pick ups to advance the timing a little.

So if you want my opinion, just my opinion on jet kits..... BLAHHH!!!!

Comment

jeff,
            so lets say an 85 suz 1150.
            are you saying that the stock needles are usable just by shimming?
            this is on a non air box equipped bike of course.
            i think your really missing my point.
            look at all the guys around here with CV carbs and no air box complaining of carb issues, not smooth/wont pull RPM'S ECT...
            my point is...
            if people would install a recalibration kit made by who-ever when they remove there air box and use a decent set of filters..
            there would a alot less carb/no air box/wont pull/runs rough ect.. related threads and alot happier people.
            and for the record,
            if the jet kit company's are assuming a bike is in a good state of tune..
            why should'nt they?
            **the wear issues you stated earlier would effect a stock carbed/air boxed bike also.**
            my information is for GS series 4 CYL. CV carb equiped motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
              Yes I meant $ 20.00 worth of jets not the pods.

"your 20.00 <pods> are as/more restrictive than the stock air box.
              let me guess...
              really prettty chrome emgo's cones?"

If you think the pods are as/more restrictive than the stock air box with two 3/4 holes in it, you seriously need to put down the crack pipe!

Further more I am not saying what I did was right or the only way to do it I am just saying what I did. I spent less than $25.00 and my bike runs great it will break the rear tire shifting into second on a 81 GS750. I spent the other $75.00 plus dollars on beer!

Oh I did forget one small thing I had to dremel the slots on the coil pick ups to advance the timing a little.

So if you want my opinion, just my opinion on jet kits..... BLAHHH!!!!

thanks for the advice,
              i'll send all my excess work to you

Comment

For some bikes I'm sure the jet kits work fine. But I can give you plenty of examples where is does not, and cannot.

Here's an example I'm very familiar with - Jet kit 2304 is for the 78-80 Kawasaki KZ1000's - one I have wrestled with (and junked).

In 1978 alone Kawasaki fitted 6 different configurations of carbs - some 26's and some 28's. In 1979 & 80 they added an accelerator pump to the carbs and continued to run a mix of 26 & 28mm carbs.

Not only did the carb size change, the slide cutaway changed, the pressed in air jets changed, and Kawasaki switched from air screws to fuel screws. Yet Dynojet has a single kit to cover this selection of 13 different models.

Even with the GS1000's, Dynojet doesn't distinguish between many of the different models. They say the jetting is the same for a Katana, a standard model and a shaft drive bikes whether 1000 or 1100 cc's. Nor do they distinguish between the different exhaust systems. Put a Kerker on the bike and it may run well, put a V&H on the bike and you may have a flat spot.

Another issue with the jet kits, there are many of the kits that require you drill the slide, or in some cases the air jet or other passageways. Once you do this, there is no going back... so the easy of installation isn't that good with many of the kits. I don't know about you, but I would rather entrust a customer to change jets than drill holes in carb slides.

I spend a lot of time on a large number of forums. When you read the negative comments on all the forums, I know it's not just me...
                Last edited by Guest; 12-31-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

my whole thing with the kit was to get it all in one place, and the fact i didnt know what the bike wanted. the way i gather, its called tuning for a reason. i was not aware of where to get the Mikuni jets from, and i didnt know where to start with jet-size, so i was going to need a few different sizes anyway, because i have no idea what the bike wants, nor do i know what ill need 6months from now.

to these guys spending 25.00 on jets, good for you, im glad you picked the right size jets your first stab. my luck is never that good.

Comment

your 20.00 <pods> are as/more restrictive than the stock air box.
                    let me guess...
                    really prettty chrome emgo's cones?
                    (No Contentiousness, just asking) I thought that the problem with the EMGOs
                    were that the paper element deteriorated, and let too much through, not
                    that it was too restrictive, but the opposite, at least a few miles down the road.
                    Either way, you're right, they're not helping anyone.

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                    ..i was not aware of where to get the Mikuni jets from...
                    Z1enterprises.com has Keihin and Mikuni main jets for around $1-$2 a piece, just FYI. They have pilot jets too. If you're lucky to have an older bike (like me) with adjustable needles it may be a good option for you. You can 5 different size mains for all 4 carbs for under $25, plus shipping. This is assuming you know what you're targeting, which is something that all those onerous "Carb/tune problem" threads are good reading for.

Just sayin'

Comment

my only information being offered is for what i know about very well....
                      suzuki GS series VACCUM CARBORATORS.
                      i offer information here to try and save people the headaches ive went through over MANY YEARS.
                      im not talking about jet kits for mechanical carbs..i never once mentioned mechanical gs or kz carbs.
                      i state once again,
                      with the large/fat/not much taper needles that the GS SERIES vaccum carbs offer it is impossible to get the transition correct on a bike without an airbox without changing the needles..PERIOD.
                      jeff,
                      i believe your a smart guy that has totally avoided my earlier comment about the GS series CV needles and also about if a tired engine has alot of worn parts that it doesnt matter if your running stock carbs and an airbox or a st.3 jet kit..
                      a half worn out engine has nothing to do with hamburgers and is not going to run correctly unless worn parts are replaced..
                      this conversation is just goofy.
                      so you suggest letting these guys spend hours apon hours shimming CV needles and playing with main jets when they could just spend a 100-130 bucks or so on a st.3 jet kit and be finished..
                      correctly finished and running properly.
                      please address my comments and dont talk around them,
                      i have installed 30+ jet kits and yes 99% was CV GS bikes.
                      the only time i had to make very serious changes is when the engine was far from stock...those guys needed RS flatslides in my opinion but was out of cash at the time and could only afford jet kits.
                      in closing..
                      i have almost zero experiance with older kz/gs mechanical carbs and i will take your word on jet kits and some of the problems surrounding for those model bikes...
                      happy newyears

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
                        (No Contentiousness, just asking) I thought that the problem with the EMGOs
                        were that the paper element deteriorated, and let too much through, not
                        that it was too restrictive, but the opposite, at least a few miles down the road.
                        Either way, you're right, they're not helping anyone.

Z1enterprises.com has Keihin and Mikuni main jets for around $1-$2 a piece, just FYI. They have pilot jets too. If you're lucky to have an older bike (like me) with adjustable needles it may be a good option for you. You can 5 different size mains for all 4 carbs for under $25, plus shipping. This is assuming you know what you're targeting, which is something that all those onerous "Carb/tune problem" threads are good reading for.

Just sayin'

emgo chrome cones are non flowing pieces of trash.
                        there is a reason they are only 5-10 dollars each.
                        i have nothing to gain by making this stuff up..
                        i do this for a living, work on motorcycles and mostly GS BIKES.
                        all i can say is take jet kitted correctly running bike and remove the K&N's and pop your buddies emgo's on it and go for a ride..
                        thats all it takes..
                        ive proved that to people over and over in person.
                        also,
                        origanal mikuni replacement jets are differant from aftermarket(mikuni type) jets and what i mean by differant is...the price of real mikuni jets are quite a bit more money per jet.
                        im also talking about brand new/ not used or on a trade basis.
                        they both get the job done, its just the real deal is more expensive.

Comment

Blower - it is you that miss the point. The person starting the threat HAS a ROUND SLIDE CARB GS1000... I don't care about your bike - the majority of GS owners do NOT benefit from dynojet kits - they create more problems than they are worth. I did say that the kits probably do work on some bikes - but I know firsthand they on many they do not and cannot. And for you to say you only use jet kits and you call yourself a mechanic.... that says a great deal... sadly...

Comment

emgo chrome cones are non flowing pieces of trash...i have nothing to gain by making this stuff up.........
                            ...the price of real mikuni jets are quite a bit more money per jet.
                            Hey, they're junk, we agree, never implied you were making anything up. Was just asking.

Are the Z1 mains poor quality? Have you heard of problems from them? They're not much cheaper than the jets Sudco and JetsRUS.com offer as genuine Mikuni jets, for around $3-4/per. Are the jets that Dynojet uses genuine Mikuni? They use their own part numbers, so I can't tell...

Comment

this thread is about jet kit pricing..
                              jeff,
                              your point is mute.
                              you have to replace the needles in suzuki GS CV carbs to get them to work properly without an airbox.
                              why do you have a hard on for me?
                              im stating facts.
                              you want to question who i am or what i know and what i do?
                              sad sad..
                              just tell me what you would do to the 85 1150 i mentioned earlier..
                              the one with the airbox removed, 4 into one pipe ect...
                              how would you tune these carbs?
                              you need to read my entire post..not just rush through them.
                              what you recomend on this 1150 jetting?

Comment

Originally posted by Shaughn View Post
                                Hey, they're junk, we agree, never implied you were making anything up. Was just asking.

Are the Z1 mains poor quality? Have you heard of problems from them? They're not much cheaper than the jets Sudco and JetsRUS.com offer as genuine Mikuni jets, for around $3-4/per. Are the jets that Dynojet uses genuine Mikuni? They use their own part numbers, so I can't tell...
                                mikuni jets have there own markings..like a square in a square or something.
                                if non OEM mikuni jets are used, as long as the sizing is right..save the money.
                                i ve seen dealerships sell the mik jets for 7-8 dollars each before..OUCH!

Comment

Working...
                                X