GS1150E big bore kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150E big bore kit

Hello all, I'm new to the board. I'm also a big fan of the GS1150. I had two brand new ones , one ES faired model in 1984 and one E unfaired model in 1985.

Curently I have an 85 GS1150 with just on 12K on the clock. It is stock except for 4 into 1 pipe and 36mm RS Flatslides. I am considering running a big bore kit. I don't drag race but am looking for a reliable hot rod for the street.

I'm considering the following options:
    1230cc kit w/10.25:1 compression
    1327cc kit w/ big block and 7.8:1 compression
    1327cc kit w/ big block and 11:1 compression

Which do you think would be the most reliable for the street? Living close to Chicago I occasionally may get stuck in rush hour traffic. Would the 1327 with lower compression yield more power than the 1230cc kit with higher compression? If I went to a 1327 size would I have to swap out my 36mm flatslides for 38mm?

One other option may be to go turbo but I doubt that my $$ will be that long. Thanks in advance for your help!

Those 7.8 pistons are for a turbo right?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

7.8 pistons

Actually I originally thought they were turbo pistons to by APE told me they were not due to the location of the rings on the pistons.

Comment

They are turbo.

How much head work do you intend to do? If not much, go with the 1229.

Jay
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I build 1229s all the time & they are great "bang for the buck"! I build BIG motors also but a 1229 is the least expensive of your choices. It's not difficult to get 150 at the back wheel with a 1229 but it DOES require headwork to do it. You already have carbs so pistons, cams, springs, porting, & a GOOD valve job will get you there. There are other things you will need though. A modified clutch hub, oil pump gears, cam sprockets, cam chain tensioner, valve seals, cam chain, etc... It all ads up but can be a VERY fun package & very durable & user friendly when done correctly. Let me know if I can help you. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray for the great feedback! My intuition was telling me that but my addictive mind (5 yrs sober) was telling to go to the extreme. Also thanks for the "beef up" advice. I plan to do some headwork and clutch work but did not think about the cam chain and oil gears. Thanks again.

Comment

Jay are you from APE? I thought the 1327 7.8:1 pistons would be turbo. I thought about going that route in case I wanted to add a turbo later. When I called an APE tech he told me that they were not turbo pistons due to the location of the rings on the pistons. I never heard that before put assumed he knew what he was talking about. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Someone, I forgot who, told me that a 1327 big block would run cooler than a 1229 because there is more meat around the cylinders. I probably will go with the 1229's , like Ray says just because of the cost.

Comment

Jay,
                Doesn't the big block run hotter due to no air flow thru the block?

Comment

The big blocks run HOTTER because there are no air passages BETWEEN the cylinders. I still run them on the street but there ARE things you have to do for additional cooling to make them work WELL in traffic. Ray.

Comment

Would anyone happen to know if there are any other (1150) 1230 12.5-1 piston kits beside MTC?
                    So far haven't been able to find any other off-the-shelf sets available. Don't need or want any custom made.
                    And for the record, don't have anything against MTC...have always treated me right....just thought it strange haven't been able to find anything else.
                    Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

Wiseco does the 1229, but 10.5-1 compression.

Comment

Now this is just me but MTC pistons and me don't get along. I do just fine with Wiseco's but would like to try some JE's next if my Wiseco's ever go south one of these decades.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I can get you CUSTOM made CPs for $650.00 a set. How much will the MTCs cost you? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            I can get you CUSTOM made CPs for $650.00 a set. How much will the MTCs cost you? Ray.
                            $517 according to their website.
                            Thieves.....kill them all.

Comment

I GUARANTEE the CPs will be lighter, stronger, & make more power! Also, for the price I quoted you, that includes lateral gas porting, anti-detonation grooves, pin oiling, GOOD pins, locks, & gas nitrided rings. MTC doesn't even have top of the line rings. The best you can get from them is a moly top ring. Less expensive is ok for some people but when I build a race motor for a customer I only use 1 brand of piston. Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X