GS1150E big bore kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
    I GUARANTEE the CPs will be lighter, stronger, & make more power! Also, for the price I quoted you, that includes lateral gas porting, anti-detonation grooves, pin oiling, GOOD pins, locks, & gas nitrided rings. MTC doesn't even have top of the line rings. The best you can get from them is a moly top ring. Less expensive is ok for some people but when I build a race motor for a customer I only use 1 brand of piston. Ray.
    Ray what are anti detonation grooves and what do they look like even more inportant how do they work? also what is lateral gas porting?

Comment

I build 1229s all the time & they are great "bang for the buck"! I build BIG motors also but a 1229 is the least expensive of your choices. It's not difficult to get 150 at the back wheel with a 1229 but it DOES require headwork to do it. You already have carbs so pistons, cams, springs, porting, & a GOOD valve job will get you there. There are other things you will need though. A modified clutch hub, oil pump gears, cam sprockets, cam chain tensioner, valve seals, cam chain, etc... It all ads up but can be a VERY fun package & very durable & user friendly when done correctly. Let me know if I can help you. Ray.
      Ray I had two GS 1150E's in the 1980's both of them 1198's, ported and set at 11/1 comp., web drop in cams, 36 mm flat slides, welded cranks, APE cam chain tensioners, Falicon clutch baskets. They were both dead reliable. I don't know what the HP was but they both ran consistent mid 6.70's at 106 to 107 MPH in the I/8 with stock wheelbase and ride height. Will this 1229 150HP engine package survive on the street at this HP level without welding the crank and using straight cut gears on the crank and clutch basket?? I didn't have the straight cut gears but I never ran a slick and bars. At a minimum I would weld and check the crank indexing for a motor this strong. I assume crank welding was included in the etc. you referred to.
      Last edited by Guest; 12-20-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

1150 cranks are already welded & reliability is no issue at this power level. The straight cut gears aren't really an issue until 170-180 or so hp, or till you run a slick. Call me at 714--356-784five if you ever have questions.
        Ray.

Comment

1150 cranks are already welded & reliability is no issue at this power level. The straight cut gears aren't really an issue until 170-180 or so hp, or till you run a slick. Call me at 714--356-784five if you ever have questions.
          Ray.
          Thanks Ray, my 28 year old memory about the crank welding is obviously fuzzy. Thanks for the phone number, I will call when I reach a stage in the restoration of the 85 GS 1150E I recently bought where I need help. I agree about the quality of CP pistons, I have used them exclusively the last 10 years.

John

Comment

CP pistons are in my big engine race bike. love 'em. after a whole season I tore down the top end and could not believe how light the wear marks were. ball hone, reinstall, keep on racing. third year and I'll skip the off season teardown.

just to add -I have put together an engine using a welded heli gear small end crank - I am going to run nitrous on a pro street chassis and see if it will last a season. thinking about spraying enough to run 9:50 street fighter index.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Go to the Brock Davidson Performance website and fish around until you find the 2012 ZX14R project bike Louisville Slugger. I sold the bike to Terron Babbage this year. The bike made 225 RWHP running stock internal engine parts. Stock wheelbase, stock tire, slammed, 0 wt. Ailsyn synthetic oil, ceramic wheel bearings, MR12 fuel, Brock's header & PC5 it ran a best of 8.80 at 160 at Indy Raceway Park. Having a 150 pound pro rider also helped. The whole story is there on video.

Comment

Troll alert
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

not sure what that story has to do with this thread but....

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    not sure what that story has to do with this thread but....
                    It had nothing to do with the original post, my apologies to the OP and the group.

John

Comment

Working...
                    X