No announcement yet.

1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about to reach a point of no return. Doing the swap starting tomorrow. Other than a couple of caliper parts looks like everything is a go. A little concerned about brake line routing but should be manageable.
    The pics are of the spare frame with the 1st Gen 18" Gixxer parts. ED fender fits like a charm including the under fender brace.

Bandit swinger, chain guard, Ohlins SU-145 equiv, and 170/60-18 rear on 4.5x18" 3 spoker

Last edited by posplayr; 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Lookin FABulous Jim! Cant wait to see the finished project. That thing is gonna look MEAN!

Comment

what Josh said

Comment

Thanks Guys. Minor setback. I have to pull my tail section off so I can reweld this shock mount.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Just about to reach a point of no return. Doing the swap starting tomorrow. Other than a couple of caliper parts looks like everything is a go. A little concerned about brake line routing but should be manageable.
            The pics are of the spare frame with the 1st Gen 18" Gixxer parts. ED fender fits like a charm including the under fender brace.

Bandit swinger, chain guard, Ohlins SU-145 equiv, and 170/60-18 rear on 4.5x18" 3 spoker

Fabulous work Jim, I like that black swinger..looks great with the wheels. What kind of spacing did you use to get the Bandit chainguard to tuck behind the Ohlins?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              Fabulous work Jim, I like that black swinger..looks great with the wheels. What kind of spacing did you use to get the Bandit chainguard to tuck behind the Ohlins?
              Joe,
              Rob cut off the rear guard mount to weld on the shock mount. In addition that left mount is about 1 mm more outboard (to clear the spring). So I just had my welder add a tab close to the stock location that allowed a screw mount that came in just in front of the mount.
              Remember I'm running a 18x4.5 rear with 170/60-18 rather than 17x5.5" with 180/55-17 so I have quite a bit more room back there.

Rob and I worked out the spacing several months ago; I'm using a 3/8" offset front sprocket which seems to be working to pretty much split the difference between the frame and the tire. Even when I deflect the chain it doesn't hit either frame or tire.

The 530 conversion chain I was going to use was not long enough so I cleaned up that chain i got from you cut of 4 links and slapped it on. The only trimming I had to do on the chain guard was the bottom edge that was ruining into the rear shock mount weld. Took off about 1/8" right below the mounting bolt only. I was happy as I tried to "machine" another to bore a hole for the spring clearance but no need here. Other than the minor trim at the rear Mount, it is virgin.

I spent most of the day, getting the rear swinger/wheel mounted on the ED, but success it is ON . The good news is everything fit, and got it all aligned despite some issues with the shock mount. After the front is on I will check wheel to wheel alighnment but for now my laser shows an offset of about 1/8" perhaps on the rear sprocket.

That rear brake line , slipper right in on the Bandit arm and looks great. It only took about 3 squirts and the rear brake was firm. I'm using the stock rear master in the stock location with my modified brake level arm.

I have to give you credit for picking the color on the swinger.

Jim

Comment

Jim what sort of laser are you using to check alignment? Just a regular laser level?

I'm going to be nearing that stage soon. Think I'm going to go 520 on the 750.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan,
                  I got it off of ebay I think. About $30 or so as I recall. You can borrow it when I'm done. You clamp or hold it against the chain ring and shine it down the length of the swing arm to see where it lights your counter sprocket. I had previously checked it for alignment and it was pretty good at 6 ft as I recall.

I have only checked so far based on setting the rear wheel in the Bandit arm according to the marks. After the front wheel is on I will check wheel to wheel alignment and then re look at the chain alignment. I figure it close enough so I locked the counter sprocket down so it is curiosity now unless something is major off.

Quick peek attached

Jim
                  Last edited by posplayr; 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Man...i have full on CHUB right now for that! Man Jim.... That's really starting to sway me to trying that on the ES, with the stuff im getting from you and a stocker swinger with a underside brakestay arm bracket.... Hrmmmm hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....LOL

Lookin killer man... Im seriously diggin that!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Man...i have full on CHUB right now for that! Man Jim.... That's really starting to sway me to trying that on the ES, with the stuff im getting from you and a stocker swinger with a underside brakestay arm bracket.... Hrmmmm hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....LOL

Lookin killer man... Im seriously diggin that!
                      Thanks Josh,
                      After a buuureeto, and a nap I dove into the front. The front will be more tricky as I don't want to pull all of my harness apart (zipped tie and shrink wapped all connector).

Gotta get the air collars machined for the 41mm; they are used to space the the headlamp ears. Or should I just use some PCV?

I'm keeping track of what I need only one more opprotunity to order stuff. Leaving in a week for Shasta via Baco .
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Thanks Josh,
                        After a buuureeto, and a nap I dove into the front. The front will be more tricky as I don't want to pull all of my harness apart (zipped tie and shrink wapped all connector).

Gotta get the air collars machined for the 41mm; they are used to space the the headlamp ears. Or should I just use some PCV?

I'm keeping track of what I need only one more opprotunity to order stuff. Leaving in a week for Shasta via Baco .
                        Jim
                        Lookin forward to seein the front. How low will it be with the pipes on? I saw the pic sans motor, but how much clearance did you end up with?

Also, sendin you bucks for the stuff this week, midweek, but dont worry bout shipping that stuff out till you get back, im not in a hurry at all..LOL

I got Griffin's 82 1100E frame painted. It looks pretty darn good if i say so myself! Gotta get the swinger taken care of, clean up wise, and then paint the frame, then its time for re-assembly. ...Ohh BTW...you have a PM...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Lookin forward to seein the front. How low will it be with the pipes on? I saw the pic sans motor, but how much clearance did you end up with?

Also, sendin you bucks for the stuff this week, midweek, but dont worry bout shipping that stuff out till you get back, im not in a hurry at all..LOL

I got Griffin's 82 1100E frame painted. It looks pretty darn good if i say so myself! Gotta get the swinger taken care of, clean up wise, and then paint the frame, then its time for re-assembly. ...Ohh BTW...you have a PM...
                          Josh,
                          Clearance should be fine. The forks on the bare frame dont have no springs . I figure I loose no ground clearance. The spreadsheet figures -0.8" loss, but I sucked up 0.75" with the 4:2:1 and I can go an extra 1" on the rear shocks that is worth 0.5" at center.

Sound like U been busy as well with Griffins's bike . I'm just talking to Jose' before talking to my pillow.

Jim

Comment

Yeah been workin on a little bit of everything. Got a good dent in Bretts bike tho. I meant to say i need to paint the motor next.. frame is done. I also FINALLY got the shop organized and cleaned up so i can actually find what im lookin for..that was a two day adventure! LOL Its been rediculous hot here, Ive probably lost about 15 lbs in sweat over the last couple days workin out there, but we're moving forward, which is feelin good. Im excited to get his machine together. Then i can get my 1000G done, and start on the 76 750 before the winter hits. Then my darling ES will be going in for surgery.... Gonna be a LOOOONG but eventfull winter..

Comment

Wow, your suspension is pretty close to where I want to go, although I am aiming for USD fronts.

I've got a Bandit 1200 swinger, which I have not modified yet. Did you find somewhere with suggestions of where to weld up the tabs for the shocks, or did you do this yourself? I'd love to see some more pics of how that all goes together.

Also, I have access to a CNC if you need something made up, just let me know. I'm going to have to machine stuff for mine anyway.

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by cavehamster View Post
                                Wow, your suspension is pretty close to where I want to go, although I am aiming for USD fronts.

I've got a Bandit 1200 swinger, which I have not modified yet. Did you find somewhere with suggestions of where to weld up the tabs for the shocks, or did you do this yourself? I'd love to see some more pics of how that all goes together.

Also, I have access to a CNC if you need something made up, just let me know. I'm going to have to machine stuff for mine anyway.

Looking good!
                                I got the Bandit swinger from Katman. It was pricey but he did all the running around. Basically he did the following:

1.) machined off the rear mono-shock mount
                                2.) made swingarm bolt bushing/spacers for the 20mm GS1100E
                                3.) cut the rear chain guard mount (which I restored)
                                4.) welded on left and right CNC suspension (for clevis) mounts and pressed in bearings.

There are a few tricks to sort out like how to route the brake master cylinder. For an GS1100E it will not fit with the Bandit swing arm on center in the frame. I was able to retain the complete stock unit, but had to shift the swing arm over and compensate with wheel spacers.

I would suggest welding the shock mounts on while mocked up on to the frame (with shocks) as mine would have been asymmetrical preload if I did not have a set of $1K Ohlins shocks with adjustable height adjustment.

This thread has many of the details, although I don't have mechanical drawings for the parts from Katman.

There are alot of details to getting the rear wheel aligned in the frame and then getting the counter sprocket aligned to the rear sprocket. Depending on your wheel/tires size and what you do with the brake master you need to get the swingarm spacers, rear wheel spacers and countershaft sprocket matched. Mine works for what I have, but will deviate some (and be more challenging) if you are going USD and 17" wheels.

Joe Whelan is going this same mod now with 17" wheels; you can see his thread as well.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X