No announcement yet.

1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: Avideo after the 2009 Mt Shast GSR trip (2500 miles 8 days)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCjTS-TJc8

Comment

Here are pics of the super duper, combo ED highway peg/ anti-lowside engine guards; note bar end weight for balance and stability .

Actually it is to enhance "prettiness" as well as serve as a rubber mounted curb feeler

Last edited by posplayr; 12-09-2010, 01:52 AM.

Comment

The bike looks great naked but for god's sake put some clothes on Jim!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          The bike looks great naked but for god's sake put some clothes on Jim!
          I guess I need to hit the gym before it is too late

Work_that_boody

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            OK Since I'm back from the Shasta trip and have my chain well stretched, I cleaned up the bike and decided to do one last check on the wheel to wheel alignment and do a final chain alignment check.

I used a variation of the string method. I figured it out along the way .

So here is what I got from Katman
            • Qty 1 - 3/8" 530 counter sprocket
            • Qty 1 - Sprocket side rear wheel spacer 25.5 mm = 1.0004”
            • Qty 1 – 10.5 mm brake side Bandit pivot spacer
            • Qty 1 - 2.0 mm sprocket side Bandit pivot spacer.
            • Stock GSXR Gen 1 brake arm

Note with that spacer combination the Bandit arm will be offset 4mm away from the brake master cylinder to make room for the stock ED push rod.

The sprocket side spacer is usually 4

In addition I used:

• Stock GSXR Gen 1 right side wheel spacer
            • Modified Bandit Swing arm.

Results:

Chain aligned to 0.200" (countersprocket a NOT OUT FAR ENOUGH in otherwords a 5/8" offset would provide better chain alignment v.s. the 3/8")
            Chain to tire clearance 5mm
            Chain to upper Frame clearance 5.5 mm
            Chain to lower ED foot peg mounts 2mm (this can be ground down easily if it were and issue).

Conclusion, my chain is splitting the available space nearly perfectly, but I have a bit of chain mis alignment. I will try and measure it again when I change the chain. I do have alaser but I could not get the chain master link off and will not till I get a new chain.

This is all pretty tricky business to get right, I wanna thank Rob(Katman), for getting me this far.

EDIT Will update again after doing some more research and measurements.

Right now the chain clearance to tire and frame is very nice (about 5mm each side), although I think there is about 0.080” of misalignment in the chain (rear sprocket is more outboard than the counter sprocket) . This is less than I originally thought because of difficulty measuring the chain. I finally just put a construction level against the back tire under the sprocket and it lines up to within one master link plate. The rear sprocket is too far outboard but no more spacer is available. Not sure how this worked out but doing 0.050-0.080” on the sprocket carrier would align it perfectly (if I was anal)

When I replace my chain, I will try and get a straight edge across the sprockets
            Nice write up Posplayr!

I still have to recheck my allignment too! I guess mine is a bit off as well but its pretty close. So far my bike has not had any issues. What happened to the paint on the right side rear swing arm?? Looks like it has been rubbing on something!
            Dont forget to pick up your glasses from under your bike before you roll it backwards!!!! :>

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
              What happened to the paint on the right side rear swing arm?? :>

The paint was still soft, when I was wrestling the swingarm into the bosses.

I sanded it then but have yet to touch it up. There is no interference with the foot pegs.

Comment

OK Here is what I have been up to . Please don't try this at home. You will realize how anal I am (however it did work out well ).

Might have to loose the showchrome thingy it is pretty cheap. Boy i gotts a lotta pictures but can only up load 1???? What gives?
                Last edited by posplayr; 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

There is alot stuff goin on there Jim...

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    There is alot stuff goin on there Jim...
                    I like lights and knowing what my oil pressure is

Comment

Jim, good thing you've increased your electrical output. More input in your cockpit than a 747 pilot would get.

Comment

It's not to busy considering that when he does ride it's at one-thousand mile jaunts.
                        Also after what he saw me go through............
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's not to busy considering that when he does ride it's at one-thousand mile jaunts.
                          The cool think is going to be the batter charger to the left. Trickle charger input of Blackberry charger for trips.

I was gonna deep 6 the show chrome, but after cutting the clear shrink tubing off it restored the function (the shrink wrap was pushing the buttons in cornfusing the bugger)

Comment

Just got done, pulling the guage apart and putting the red condom on the back lighting to better macth the yellow/orange ED lighting. Also redrilled the hole on the pressure damper to get it a little more responsive. Still very smooth but moves better. At about 2K cold I'm at 10-11 psi

Comment

What, no data logging?

NASA would be proud with all those instruments.

Love the bike, bet it's a hoot to ride.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                                OK Here is what I have been up to . Please don't try this at home. You will realize how anal I am (however it did work out well ).

Might have to loose the showchrome thingy it is pretty cheap. Boy i gotts a lotta pictures but can only up load 1???? What gives?
                                That is too cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X