Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Detroit Diesel Man View Post
    That is too cool!
    Thanks, not sure yet how good the Show Chrome multi gauage will work, but the analog VDO gauages are very nice. With the oil port damper the oil pressure is super smooth and doesn't bounce in the least.

I can also just plug in the trickle charger (for the bike) or my Blackberry charger (for my phone).

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      What, no data logging?

NASA would be proud with all those instruments.

Love the bike, bet it's a hoot to ride.
      The Blackberry has GPS which will ride in the tank bag powered from the handlebar. I can get Bluetooth to my ear piece and log data with 16 Gbytes of memory on board.

With the BB Storm no need for a laptop, just need power as the thing is pretty power hungry especially when running GPS.

Now I'm just trying to figure out where to mount the Laser

Comment

OK finally got the ED back on the road after installing the gauges, finding the battery was dead and swapping it out. Nice day in the mid 70's on Sunday. I went up on Camino Cielo for a late afternoon sunset ride.

getting ready for the ride;

View from the top looking away from the sun

Front View

and the rear

Watching the pressure gauge in real time is an interesting thing. On any kind of RPM it goes to 10 psi(3K), 12 psi (5K) if pushing some RPM's and it will peg easily if wrapped out to 8000+ This is all while warm after riding 45 minutes along the top of the mountain. With the hole I drilled the damping is perfect, there is no bounce to the needle.

now wish I could solve the same problem with the temperature gauge. But that will be a new thread.
        Last edited by posplayr; 02-16-2010, 12:15 AM.

Comment

I never get tired of looking at that thing...

Diggin that matching helmet Jim!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            I never get tired of looking at that thing...

Diggin that matching helmet Jim!
            That Shoei RF1000 GSXR in red helmet for $170

Comment

Nice bike, nice ride!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                OK finally got the ED back on the road after installing the gauges, finding the battery was dead and swapping it out. Nice day in the mid 70's on Sunday. I went up on Camino Cielo for a late afternoon sunset ride.

getting ready for the ride;

View from the top looking away from the sun

Front View

and the rear

Watching the temp gauge in real time is an interesting thing. On any kind of RPM it goes to 10 psi(3K), 12 psi (5K) if pushing some RPM's and it will peg easily if wrapped out to 8000+ This is all while warm after riding 45 minutes along the top of the mountain. With the hole I drilled the damping is perfect, there is no bounce to the needle.

now wish I could solve the same problem with the temperature gauge. But that will be a new thread.
                Exceptionally cool. That bike is dare I say, as close as it gets to "GS perfection" in my own opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by wkmpt View Post
                  Exceptionally cool. That bike is dare I say, as close as it gets to "GS perfection" in my own opinion.
                  Thanks; I agree and think i will quit then

Comment

Nice bike, nice ride!
                    Thanks; looking forward to this summer I'm setup for long haul truckin

Comment

Wow! Amazing job. I just read this whole thread and it's got me really pumped to get off my butt and hurry up and finish my bike. Again, nice work.
                      -Theo

Comment

Thanks; looking forward to this summer I'm setup for long haul truckin
                        Now go down to Isla Vista and terrorize some college students on that thing. Go Gauchos!

Comment

Now go down to Isla Vista and terrorize some college students on that thing. Go Gauchos!
                          Yea, i used to do that but no moto; 3 wheeled (leg powered) trike and about 25 years ago

Comment

Yea, i used to do that but no moto; 3 wheeled (leg powered) trike and about 25 years ago
                            Does that mean you were three years old?
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wow man, as always looking good, but I am floored by the number of gauges you have there. Do you get to spend any time watching the road with that much info in front of you?

Comment

Originally posted by cavehamster View Post
                                Wow man, as always looking good, but I am floored by the number of gauges you have there. Do you get to spend any time watching the road with that much info in front of you?
                                Well since i just got them mounted, I do spend alot of time looking at the oil pressure and voltage to see how they behave in normal/not so normal riding .

The Showchrome multi meter is nice to for Time/Temp even though it is redundant it also has battery voltage. Again I'm monitoring how well the engine cooler works relative to ambient so that is also interesting.

I have customized the ED for longer road trips v.s. around town riding so it is nice to have the extra monitoring. That is why I spent the extra time to make it look like it fits in even if it may seem a little busy.

In my early days, I always liked plenty of gauges in my cars and have wondered why motorcycles don't have at least a minimum complement (oil pressure, oil temp,volts) as standard.

If your are 1500 miles from home it is certainly a comforting thing to looks at.

Comment

Working...
                                X