1st Gen GSXR upgrade for GS1100ED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Again I'm monitoring how well the engine cooler works relative to ambient so that is also interesting...

Well, I can't be the only one dyin' around here...how does the cooler work???
    -KR

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
      Well, I can't be the only one dyin' around here...how does the cooler work???
      -KR
      I'ne only been out in the extreme heat of 79 degrees, and the in sharp contast lows hovering in the high 50's . That is a full 20 degree spread

Comment

Jim,

Is the flux capacitor still fluxing??

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          Jim,

Is the flux capacitor still fluxing??
          Crap dont remind me about that ;

Long story

Comment

Picked up some Galfer Wave Rotors (full floaters) for a pretty descent price (it was my birthday couple of weeks ago ). I was actually looking for some EBC rotors but as it turned out these were even cheaper than the EBC and they are supposed to be much better quality.

Installed them this afternoon. Pretty simple. I read that it was best to change only rotors or pads at any one time. I cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner as they had a few finger prints.

I took the plastic inspection covers off the claipers and shot some brake cleaner down them as well but did not remove. They are EBC HH pads with about 6K miles on them so relatively fresh still.

Went and got some gas and put a few slow stops in to get them bedded in. At first there was hardley any bite, but the more I bedded them the better they seemed to get.

No panic stops yet but they they seem very smooth and have ZERO pulsating. I offset the rotors according to the instructions which is apparently pretty often overlooked.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-03-2010, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Ewwwwwwww, now THAT's nice!

Comment

Ewwwwwwww, now THAT's nice!
                Thanks after my last ride they are getting bedded in .

Smooth as silk and plenty of grab although no panic stops as yet

Comment

Can you tell a difference?
                  -KR

Comment

Can you tell a difference?
                    -KR
                    between what and what?

I had EBC 1st Gen rotors but they were a little to wobbly as they are full floaters. I could have shimed them and they would probably be OK but they also are NOT stainless which makes them rust. Carbon steel is supposed to grab better than stainless , but I would guess the Galfer wave grabs about like the EDC but I can say for sure. I can certainly bring the baby down in speed very rapidly and can give as much brake as the front tire will handle.

I hit a sale just right on these and got the pair for $360 delivered. I see them advertised at stupid prices like $260 for one rotor; not sure I would pay that much but is very nice t ohave a full floating rotor.

There are Chinese ebay rotors that seem to work fairly well for abourt $160 for all three (I have only found 2nd gen GSXR). They look like the Galfer wave rotor.

I think gearhead has a set on his EZ. I hapen to have found some other EBC XC lite rotors for a 2nd gen so I don't need them for my GSXR.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Good info; and very interesting, THANKS!
                      -KR

Comment

Finally mounted a steering damper I have been screwing with for some time. I was unsure about the mounting because it was so tight, but turns out it was so tight because it was a near perfect fit.

This is a pretty standard GSXR damper I think it fit many years including the 1st Gen 1100's.

The trick that I finally happened into was to mount the damper with polyurethane sway bar end links you can usually buy at an automotive store. They are pre drilled and fit 8mm bolts pretty well. They are pretty easy to cut and grind own to get the right fit. The polyurethane will compress quite a bit but t is much tougher than most rubber bushings so the damper will not rattle, but also gives if damper starts to bind on something (tight fit remember).

My bike is red also so the red bushing go right with

Comment

You will notice that the end of the damper is bolted to the lower triple. The hardened bolt is double nutted and was drilled to put a safety pin through it so as to not loose the damper if it came loose.

Comment

The damper has nice alignment and just enough travel.

I'm using the stock fairing mount that the GS1100ED/ESD's come with.

I split a bushing on the diagonal to allow for the angle to the frame.

There is also an end bushing under the lower triple. I cut it down a little to reduce the length of the 8mm hardened bolt.

The forks/triples are 1st Gen 1100
                            Last edited by posplayr; 10-21-2010, 08:16 AM.

Comment

OK I pulled the LM-2 and LMA-3 off and went for a ride up Camino Cielo. Took some pics with the new rotors and steering damper

Comment

The rotors look cool. Love the busy cockpit.

Comment

Working...
                                X