Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Under cut gears which GS 750

Hi guys!
    Do ya know which year the 750 gears were under cut as standard and can they be fitted into a "78" GS1000.

Also, wish to up grade the front end but keep the forks rwu - at present thinking bandit. Any comments?

Cheers JR

I am not sure any 750 had undercut or backcut gears. They DID however have STRAIGHT cut crank and output gears, vs the later breeds having a helical gear set (supposedly because they are "quieter"...meh) I am pretty sure they are not interchangeable for a 1000 however. You CAN get the gears backcut, and even switch out to straight cut gears, but its not for the faint of wallet.

Comment

The 1000 gears are already undercut a bit. But you can send them to APE and they'll undercut them even more. Not neccesary IMO unless you plan on romping on your bike 24/7 or are building a drag motor.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
        The 1000 gears are already undercut a bit. But you can send them to APE and they'll undercut them even more. Not neccesary IMO unless you plan on romping on your bike 24/7 or are building a drag motor.

really?

mine looked pretty straight before i got them undercut.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
          really?

mine looked pretty straight before i got them undercut.
          Hmmm....maybe mine were already done? They are definitely cut at an angle.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I am not sure any 750 had undercut or backcut gears. They DID however have STRAIGHT cut crank and output gears, vs the later breeds having a helical gear set (supposedly because they are "quieter"...meh) I am pretty sure they are not interchangeable for a 1000 however. You CAN get the gears backcut, and even switch out to straight cut gears, but its not for the faint of wallet.
            Thanks - I read something a while back on one off the drag forums. The Yoshi 1979 racing gear box had under cut engagement dogs and polished/ground teeth and as I've faint wallet thought I'll better check with the enlightened ones

Fork length - I've been reading that the Kayaba fork tubes on the Yoshi were extended by 35mm to add 0.5 degrees to the rake. Wouldn't this only be necessary if the bike was having a tendency to turn in to quickly. Is it a common modification to increase the fork lenght.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              You can send them to APE and they'll undercut them even more. Not neccesary IMO unless you plan on romping on your bike 24/7 or are building a drag motor.
              I'm in the UK and as the $ is rather strong against the £ me thinks that I'll have to source locally.

Romping on me bike 24/7? Well don't you!

JR

Comment

My GS1000 gears were undercut a little when I took the motor apart. They have to be factory on this motor. They were a little smeared on some dogs so I sent them out to be undercut better.

Comment

Working...
                X