Dirtbike petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirtbike petcock?

I have a 1981 GS750. The petcock is gay...leaks and fuel doesn't fully shut off and that, mingled with my dirty carburetors, fills my motor up with fuel. It's fun.

I want a petcock with an OFF...like they're supposed to be. Will a standard dirtbike petcock fit?

Cheap getto fix... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=136322
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

no no no...not just leaks into the carbs...but leaks on the ground...from the petcock. I have to either get a new petcock or rebuild anyway.

Comment

Get a new OEM petcock and find something else to worry about for the next 20 years.

It's not worth farting around with ghetto fixes, half-assed replacements, or shoddy rebuild kits. And spending double the money on a Pingel or something like that is just plain silly.

http://z1enterprises.com is a good source, or visit your favorite source for Suzuki parts.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

nah you misunderstand...the improperly working petcock is only half the irritation. I want an OFF. It's a standard flange...just about any off road petcock fits.

$7, to boot.

oh yeah...and the petock currently on the bike is only 4 years old, genuine suzuki part. Only reciept that came with the bike...bleh...

Comment

You must have some other problem than. My original petcock worked fine on my bike being 30 years old. I replaced it with a pingel because of my carb swap.

Comment

With the OEM petcock, if the engine isn't running (no vacuum applied to the vacuum port), "ON" is "OFF".

So if you install a properly functioning OEM petcock, just leave it in the "ON" position, and it will shut off automatically. Fuel will only flow when the engine is running or if you hook up a vacuum pump to the vacuum port.

If I understand the situation correctly, it sounds like your petcock isn't working correctly for whatever reason. These petcocks are normally very reliable and safe for at least 15-20 years.

Perhaps the PO didn't actually install that new petcock, he screwed it up somehow, it's incorrect, or he removed the filter, or there's corrosion in there. Whatever the reason, it's not working as designed and you need a new one.

Z1 should be able to hook you up for around $50.

If it's not leaking, other than fuel flows when it shouldn't, you could also hit the local lawn mower shop and get an inline fuel valve. This is a temporary solution, since you must also grow an utterly infallible brain so you remember to shut it off every time you stop. If you're still working on the rest of the bike, it might make sense for the time being.

If that doesn't answer your question, then perhaps we don't have a complete description of your situation.
              Last edited by bwringer; 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM.
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                I have a 1981 GS750. The petcock is gay...

I didn't know these things had sexual preferences. Thanks, I'll be careful how I touch mine in the future. I wouldn't want to get any of "the gay" on me.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  With the OEM petcock, if the engine isn't running (no vacuum applied to the vacuum port), "ON" is "OFF".

So if you install a properly functioning OEM petcock, just leave it in the "ON" position, and it will shut off automatically. Fuel will only flow when the engine is running or if you hook up a vacuum pump to the vacuum port.

If I understand the situation correctly, it sounds like your petcock isn't working correctly for whatever reason. These petcocks are normally very reliable and safe for at least 15-20 years.

Perhaps the PO didn't actually install that new petcock, he screwed it up somehow, it's incorrect, or he removed the filter, or there's corrosion in there. Whatever the reason, it's not working as designed and you need a new one.

Z1 should be able to hook you up for around $50.

If it's not leaking, other than fuel flows when it shouldn't, you could also hit the local lawn mower shop and get an inline fuel valve. This is a temporary solution, since you must also grow an utterly infallible brain so you remember to shut it off every time you stop. If you're still working on the rest of the bike, it might make sense for the time being.

If that doesn't answer your question, then perhaps we don't have a complete description of your situation.

Yeah I understand how it's supposed to work. That isn't the point. My question was if anyone knew whether or not standard ATV petcocks shared the same bolt pattern. That was the question. Not "how do petcocks work and where can I get a stock one". I have a stock one. You're correct...the PO may not have isntalled the new one, or he may have screwed it up, or he may have done one of a thousand other things...not the point.

A standard off/on/reserve RM250 petcock bolts up perfectly, and cost $15.00, not $50.00.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                    Yeah I understand how it's supposed to work. That isn't the point. My question was if anyone knew whether or not standard ATV petcocks shared the same bolt pattern. That was the question. Not "how do petcocks work and where can I get a stock one". I have a stock one. You're correct...the PO may not have isntalled the new one, or he may have screwed it up, or he may have done one of a thousand other things...not the point.

A standard off/on/reserve RM250 petcock bolts up perfectly, and cost $15.00, not $50.00.

Good to know! As far as I know, no one has discovered that bit of cross-compatibility before. It will come in handy. Hopefully Basscliff will add it to his Hall of Wisdom.

I hope you'll understand that it's far more common that when the GSR Hive Mind is asked a question, it is rarely asked the right question. Especially when it concerns petcocks. People get weird about petcocks, for some reason. (There's a crucial valve controlling a highly flammable substance six inches from my crotch, and I suddenly have a powerful compulsion to repair it using bits of chewing gum. Should I use Grape Dubble Bubble or Tropical Bubblicious?)

You actually asked the question you wanted to ask, but based on years of bitter experience and hundreds of similar questions, we had to assume that you didn't know what you wanted to know.

Very Zen, but it sort of explains the frustration all around. Again, I'm glad you persevered and posted your findings.
                    Eat more venison.

Comment

But will it flow enough gas to feed your 750

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                        But will it flow enough gas to feed your 750
                        A 1/4" hole is going to flow the same no matter what gravity fed contraption it's attached to. Considering the RM250 puts down about 5 more ponies than my GS anyway, I don't think it'd be an issue even if the laws of physics bent around petcocks.

Comment

Working...
                        X