Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to do something like this

(not my swing arm but similar)

on my gs1000 yosh replica at some point to give it that brace look Pops did back in the day
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Got some more work done.

For the needle bearing sleeves I cut down a gs1100 pivot then machined the od to interference fit the r1 pivot. All I have to do now is narrow the r1 pivot by 40mm slide in the sleeves, weld them into place press new bearings in and machine some bushings and its done.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

MOre progress today. Bearings are in, mockup bushings are in. Swingarm is in.

I went another route today. I used the R1 bearings instead of sleeving. I did have to sleeve one side cuz the R1 swing bearings are two diff sizes and I had the smaller side sized to match the larger.
        Everything pressed in nicely and the pivot bolt slides in perfectly. I used a set of bushings and the pivot bolt to press in the bearings and sleeve so everything was strait and true.
        I tried two different pivots for a check and very nice fit. In the pictures you will see the bushings are too small to protect the bearings from dust... they are just for mock up. I will be turning some more bushings later.

I lasered the rear sprocket to get some idea of chain pain I was going to have and I guess all the measuring and comparing with the GS arm paid off cuz there is lots of room for the 520 chain. I also centered the wheel. In the pic you will see a 25mm distance between the tire and each side of the seat rails.

The next major prob is the brake hanger. Busa hanger is way to wide for this narrow arm so this will take some thinking

As far as the shock mounts, they are pretty close. Chain side mount can center up on fork but the brake side mount will hang a little over the outside edge much like the zrx11.

All in all I am very happy with the fit. I don't have to go to rear sets either if I don't want to. There is less rear brake pivot modding that on a bandit 1200 arm.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Very cool Rob, does the brake stay and caliper mount on top or bottom ?
          Now that you have the R1 swinger, you may find some parts from an FZ1 that will work..I know someone who might be parting one out..
          I see you snuck the Supersprox in there...is that a Yami sprocket?

jw

Comment

Threw some cases and tranny in today. Well, a whole host of new issues.

pivot case hits the engine so I will need to machine the pivot a little. Fortunately there is a lot of meat where it is contacting so it won't be a problem. its about three times thicker than the GS pivot.
            Another issue is the chain clearance, surprise, surprise. it is contacting the inner surface of the bracing which is wierd since the wheel is centered in the swingarm. It must be offset on the R1.
            I was using a quite thick 530 for mock up so a 520 (which is what I intend on using) will go a long way to solve the problem. Also, there is an ugly weld on the bottom of the frame where the peg stays are welded on. sloppy job aligning the pegstay. I will need to remove most of a section of weld plus some material and reweld. NOt a biggie.

Checked swingarm travel and it all looks clear. About 5 1/2" of travel befor that fat tire hits the subframe. The shocks only have 4.25" of travel so no problem there.

I have decided to keep the original pegs and not go with rearsets. With a black frame and swingarm and the matching angles of the stays and lower bracing on the arm I think it will look good.

the other prob with the 25mm wide 530 chain (as thick as my 630) is contact with the shock springs. I have a set of Fox shocks which are as wide as the ohlins I am going to use and chian is just touching the springs. The 520 will fix that as it is only 16mm wide.

Everything is connected to everything else. You guys who are thinking of doing some mods have to think of all the areas that may see impact from moving one thing or another. It doesn't take much of a mod on one thing to mess up two other things.

This R1 mod is threading the needle with the limited chain space, shock springs and frame but its doable. I very much want this arm to work as I am in to it now for close to 500.00 and that is with much of the maching done myself.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Rob

U R turning this into an art form .

That really is a fattie on the back there.

Love to see the detailed pics.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                Threw some cases and tranny in today. Well, a whole host of new issues.

pivot case hits the engine so I will need to machine the pivot a little. Fortunately there is a lot of meat where it is contacting so it won't be a problem. its about three times thicker than the GS pivot.
                Another issue is the chain clearance, surprise, surprise. it is contacting the inner surface of the bracing which is wierd since the wheel is centered in the swingarm. It must be offset on the R1.
                I was using a quite thick 530 for mock up so a 520 (which is what I intend on using) will go a long way to solve the problem. Also, there is an ugly weld on the bottom of the frame where the peg stays are welded on. sloppy job aligning the pegstay. I will need to remove most of a section of weld plus some material and reweld. NOt a biggie.

Checked swingarm travel and it all looks clear. About 5 1/2" of travel befor that fat tire hits the subframe. The shocks only have 4.25" of travel so no problem there.

I have decided to keep the original pegs and not go with rearsets. With a black frame and swingarm and the matching angles of the stays and lower bracing on the arm I think it will look good.

the other prob with the 25mm wide 530 chain (as thick as my 630) is contact with the shock springs. I have a set of Fox shocks which are as wide as the ohlins I am going to use and chian is just touching the springs. The 520 will fix that as it is only 16mm wide.

Everything is connected to everything else. You guys who are thinking of doing some mods have to think of all the areas that may see impact from moving one thing or another. It doesn't take much of a mod on one thing to mess up two other things.

This R1 mod is threading the needle with the limited chain space, shock springs and frame but its doable. I very much want this arm to work as I am in to it now for close to 500.00 and that is with much of the maching done myself.
                My GSXR swingarm contacted the cases with the added diameter also. I cut a bit off the cases, but I'm now reworking the enginine mounts to move her forward 1/4".

I'm also using a non O-Ring 520 for the clearance issues you just mentioned. They are considerably narrower.

You bike looks good.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2009, 10:03 AM.

Comment

On the zx12 build I had the cases/pivot issue too. didn't take much to clear the two. I also moved the engine ahead a couple hairs by fabbing a couple new front mounts.
                  my 530 is 25mm and a 520 DID I have here on anothre bike is 16mm. I can't take it off the check on mine but will pick another one up for mocking up. I have room to move the swingarm over 1 or 2mm as well to help clearence with with lower bracing but don't think That will be necessary.

Hey Jim... I thought I was posting detailed pics? Which ones are you wanting to see?
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Rob

Hey Jim... I thought I was posting detailed pics? Which ones are you wanting to see?
                    I was just saying I like the pics.

Comment

OH... I see now. I just woke up when I read your post. Thanks and I will keep them coming.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Ohhhhh crap!!
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

My laser was off so when I recalibrated it there was a problem. I fixed it with the 520 chain and taking 2mm off the sprocket carrier and moved the swing over 1mm. I now have the R1 chain runner on and as the pics show the chain line is straight up to the front sprocket.
                          you can see the laser dot running up the center of the chain guide.

I was getting prepared for a frame notching session but that won't e necessary. The lower peg stay mount was very much in the way as well and had to be cut down to get it out of the way of the chain return. Of course moving the swing over even that 1mm causes me grief with the rear brake pivot assembly.

Last edited by katman; 03-13-2009, 04:02 AM.
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I also checked with a straight bar running from the rear sprocket to the front. Adjusted the laser for the diff in offset and ran it again straight up the strait edge which is 1/8". I also used the straight edge to check chain height. The edge is aligned with the bottom of the chain rollers to see if there is an interference with the runner. The r1 runner is about 10mm off the swingarm on an arc. in the unloaded position there is a few thou of air.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Looking good mate ! have you checked wheel alignment ?

tone

Comment

Did some detail work today, mounted bat box, under seat plate and attached a couple things to bat box.

ON the right side of the new bat box lives the signal control module, on the left side lives the new starter solenoid home. (see pics)

Something that has always bugged me is the whole that is left when the air box is removed on the right side. That is the right side panel is out in mid air... so I fabbed a plate to hide the sigmodule and finish off the side cover. the left side is ok cuz the cover isn't open like the right (see pic)

I have angled the under pan down to pick up some air flow to cool the R/R by drawing air up under the seat. just above it in the crappy pic is the rear brake reservoir (ducati)
                                Last edited by katman; 03-15-2009, 04:08 AM.
                                KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X