CV Flatsides pilot jet size and fuel screw turns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stain View Post
    You kept the 0.5 MAJ and ran the the larger mains for the 1100--correct? Did you tune with the MAJ at all and what differences did it make? I am fighting some inconsistant idleing on my BST's ( yes finally determined they were BST's ) and was wondering the role of the MAJ.
    It's hard to compare tuning with the Dyno-jet stuff and Mikuni parts due to the diffences in the jet needle and needle jet. I am going to stick with all mikuni parts for now
    I have been studying the various setup for all of these GSXR1100/750 configurations between most all years and I think I have come to more of an understanding(for now at least), been reading the Sudco catalog on theory of operation and talking to Chef1366 and here are my conclusions.

You can make a GSXR 750 BST36SS work easy enough on a GS 1000-1100. Most of the differences in carb setup are a result of fine tuning.

In the Sudco catalog is shows a standard tuning spec for a RS36 for all GSXR750 88-92 and GSXR 1100 87-92 and GS1000-1500 as using the same carburetor the main difference the GSXR 750 used a 120 main and all others are 130 main.

NOTE after disassembling a 3rd set of running BST36SS 17D40 (1990 GSXR 750 CA carbs) I have posted the results in the attachment.

I have two sets of BST36SS carbs (1989 CA GSXR 750 17C40 from a Hot GSXR 750 and 1990 CA GSXR 17D40 from by modified GSXR 1100G with pods and 4:1) ,

Both these carbs are setup very similarly to Tomas03's, both have FP 3 mm needles on the 3rd notch from the top, both use Y-5 needle jets, Both have MAJ 0.5, Pilot Jet 32.5 (the 17C40 has Pilot Air Jet 1.45 not sure about the 17D40).

If you have a GSXR750 carb, use a GSXR750 jet kit to tune it in. I'm not sure whether trying to make a GSXR 1100 carb run better with a GSXR 750 carb kit, but you are probably making life harder for yourself.

Tomas03 did take a GSXR750 carb (Aussie Spec) and adapt it to his GS1134 using OEM grooved needle 5E56-3rd and the OEM 0-9 jet that goes with it then that is a good alternative (again a 2.5mm needle/jet combination). The GSXR 750 needle Jets are 3mm (Y-5) as well as the FP and Dynao Jet needles.
    Last edited by posplayr; 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      I have been studying the various setup for all of these GSXR1100/750 configurations between most all years and I think I have come to a final conclusion, been reading the Sudco catalog on theory of operation and talking to Chef1366 and here are my conclusions.

You can make a GSXR 750 BST36SS work easy enough on a GSXR 1100. Most of the differences in carb setup are a result of fine tuning.

In the Sudco catalog is shows a standard tuning spec for a RS36 for all GSXR750 88-92 and GSXR 1100 87-92 and GS1000-1500 as using the same carburetor the main difference the GSXR 750 used a 120 main and all others are 130 main.

So my conclusion:

If you live outside of the US or can get the OEM grooved needle 5E56-3rd and the OEM 0-9 jet that goes with it then that is a good alternative and fairly inexpensive(what Tomas03 did).

If you are from the US (or can't get foreign kit) then you are limited to needles without grooves (unless you can buy the OEM kit from Sudco with the grooves???). The only two remain options are DJ and Factory Pro.

Factory pro uses Mikuni Needle jets and in fact manufacture a nickle plated Mikuni jet replacement (to reduce wear of the jets)

This is the kit that Factory Pro sells it includes #0985h-68t.2_std Needles which seems to work most places except Colorado which likes the #0985h-72t2.

I'm not sure if these are available in Titanium but the do make others for another kit that are.

In addition they sell Nickle Plated Needle jets for about the same price as OEM but should be more durable

CRZ-EMU-100102k
      $96 / 4pcs

The Dynojet 1366 kit includes both emulsion tubes and needles. They come in both stainless and aluminum. Not sure which combination wears longer. The condition of the carb slide inserts has a big effect as they are designed to capture the slide at the bottom of the travel but they get worn and allow for slop which cause the needles to bang around more.

I'm in a quandary because i already have so many Dynajet needles/kits . Also Factory Pro says they will not sell jet Kits in CA anymore Maybe they still sell Jet Needles and Emulsion tubes?

Otherwise Tomas03 had a basically stock GS1100E save for a 1144 overbore kit 4:1 and pods. He used the Aussie jets/needles and 140 MJ and 37.5 Pilot with the MAJ=0.5 (from GS750) and 2 trund out. He seemed pleased.
      I ordered 3166 kit should have tommorrow Stock gs 1100 1983 This will be my starting point 135 mikuni mains. 32.5 pilots 4th clip from top 2 1/4 air screw.Not sure what the deal is on pluging slide holes,Mine appear to be tapped already? stock? (No plugs)89 gsxr 1100 bst carbs

Comment

If your slide holes are tapped it might have had a Dyno jet kit at one time.
        I just went for a highway test drive and results are
        147.5 Mains, 37.5 pilots, needles all the way up. 1.5 MAJ. I had to go 4turns out on my fuel screw to get a good idle which tells me I might need a 40 pilot. Small stumble on the bottom less than 3k rpm. Runs really well midrange and a little rich on top. Plugs on the dark side. Next step is to probaly drop a main jet size and tune from there. I might also drop my needle 1 clip
        Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2010, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          I ordered 3166 kit should have tommorrow Stock gs 1100 1983 This will be my starting point 135 mikuni mains. 32.5 pilots 4th clip from top 2 1/4 air screw.Not sure what the deal is on pluging slide holes,Mine appear to be tapped already? stock? (No plugs)89 gsxr 1100 bst carbs

The Dynojet (Whoops EDITed to correct part#) 3136
          http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3136.pdf
          kit includes both emulsion tubes and needles. They come in both stainless and aluminum.

Sorry If I got you to order the wrong part but there is no part 3166 Dynajet .

Comment

If your slide holes are tapped it might have had a Dyno jet kit at one time.
            I just went for a highway test drive and results are
            147.5 Mains, 37.5 pilots, needles all the way up. 1.5 MAJ. I had to go 4turns out on my fuel screw to get a good idle which tells me I might need a 40 pilot. Small stumble on the bottom less than 3k rpm. Runs really well midrange and a little rich on top. Plugs on the dark side. Next step is to probaly drop a main jet size and tune from there. I might also drop my needle 1 clip
            Maybe i should start at 140 mains?Stock 1100 16 v motor.
            Droping your needle to 4th ?Your running 8 valve with head work?What is the purpose of pluging slide holes?

Comment

What is the purpose of pluging slide holes?
              Changes the slide response. Dyna recommends 1 holes plugged for aggressive riding

(Fig. A). Screw the white plastic correctors (DCO351) into the tapped
              holes. If correctors do not go flush, cut excess off with a razor blade.

NOTE:
              For racing or hard street riding, remove one corrector from each

slide for better acceleration.

Comment

Maybe i should start at 140 mains?Stock 1100 16 v motor.
                Droping your needle to 4th ?Your running 8 valve with head work?What is the purpose of pluging slide holes?
                I am running a Factory Pro kit. Factory Pro also recomends plugging 1 slide hole, Which I assume makes the slides rise quicker.? I was thinking of drilling the hole back out to see what happens.
                My needles are currently all the way up ( rich ). i am probaly going to drop the needle 1 clip ( leaner ).
                All my exhaust temps are within 20 degrees at idle with the middle cylinders a little warmer

Comment

I disassembled my 3rd set of BST36SS carbs from my GSXR 1100G (17D40 1990 GSXR 750 CA) and updated the post and added another attachment there.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...3&postcount=31

Comment

Sorry If I got you to order the wrong part but there is no part 3166 Dynajet .
                    Ok 3136 made offer to orient express 110.00 shipped good deal I thought

Comment

Ok 3136 made offer to orient express 110.00 shipped good deal I thought
                      That must be a closeout because it is usually much higher over $175 shipped. If doesnt work out I PM'ed u about mine.

Comment

That must be a closeout because it is usually much higher over $175 shipped. If doesnt work out I PM'ed u about mine.
                        Are dynojets 140 mains same as mikuni 140, I know for my kawi a 130dj jet is larger than kehin 130

Comment

I am running a Factory Pro kit. Factory Pro also recomends plugging 1 slide hole, Which I assume makes the slides rise quicker.? I was thinking of drilling the hole back out to see what happens.
                          My needles are currently all the way up ( rich ). i am probaly going to drop the needle 1 clip ( leaner ).
                          All my exhaust temps are within 20 degrees at idle with the middle cylinders a little warmer
                          Drill out slide plug you may develop a bog.Im thinking im going to plug both of mine.
                          For agressive street riding ill take the ZRX 1200 out of the stableWhoa nelly!

Comment

Are dynojets 140 mains same as mikuni 140, I know for my kawi a 130dj jet is larger than kehin 130
                            In the 140 range you subtract 10 to get the Mikuni jet size. So a 140 Mikuni would be about 150 Dynojet.

Comment

BTW U might be interested in O-rings for the BST36SS

Comment

Gsxr carbs on WOW

Installed 3136 kit today went 4th clip from top 32.5 pilot 155 dj jet =145 mikuni. 2.5 on air screws.She is much snapier.Ran great to second stop sign. #2 #3 cylinders went out.Installed dyna 2000 ignition last week.something wrong with digital box.Long story short never made the highway the 2000 is boxed & shipping to dynatek tommorrow.#2 #3 cyl intermitantly cutting out.
                                Guess Ill ride the other bike!

Comment

Working...
                                X