Question about replacing Stock Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about replacing Stock Airbox

I have a '79 GS550, and I am thining about taking the Stock Airbox off and replacing it with K&N pods. Anyone have any idea if this is going to cause me to have to adjust the points and Needles? I was looking at getting a 4 into 1 exhaust and it said that I may have make adjustments. I'm assuming it's because of backpressure issues and such, if they apply.

So, Am I safe to Just rip the Airbox out and replace with pods, or will it be a pain in the ass to make adjustments? Any help would be great! THANKS!

You're going to have people telling you not to do it, but if you don't mind a little carb tuning they work just fine. Add a free flowing exhaust and you can find a few ponies. You shouldn't need to mess with the ignition at all. The carbs will need to be richened up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      You're going to have people telling you not to do it, but if you don't mind a little carb tuning they work just fine. Add a free flowing exhaust and you can find a few ponies. You shouldn't need to mess with the ignition at all. The carbs will need to be richened up though.
      Thanks for your advice. I wouldn;t mind getting a few extra horses. Where do I find information on how to do that? Any help there?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo76 View Post
        Thanks for your advice. I wouldn;t mind getting a few extra horses. Where do I find information on how to do that? Any help there?
        There are lots of threads on carb tuning. I've never tinkered with VM series carbs so someone else will have to weigh in. That said, you will probably have to bump up the mains a size or two, raise the needles on the slides a groove then richen up the idle circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          There are lots of threads on carb tuning. I've never tinkered with VM series carbs so someone else will have to weigh in. That said, you will probably have to bump up the mains a size or two, raise the needles on the slides a groove then richen up the idle circuit.
          Sounds pretty complicated, but I'm sure if I do a little research I will be able to figure it out. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

It's really pretty simple but usually takes a couple of tries to get things right. Read up on doing plug chops. That will tell you when you are getting things right.

Comment

Working...
            X