81 GS650-G Dynojet + K&N pods?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650-G Dynojet + K&N pods?????

Hey guys, I have been thinking pretty hard about going to the pods and the dynojet kit....

Anyone that has done this to a 650, could you speak up and give some advice. I already got the 4 into 1 marshall exhaust and the motor is fresh and balanced to within .5 gram with a mild port and polish on the head. I am running the stock air box now but think going to pods+dynojet might help get the most out of my motor.
    Any input would be appreciated..
    Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Bribird View Post
    Hey guys, I have been thinking pretty hard about going to the pods and the dynojet kit....

Anyone that has done this to a 650, could you speak up and give some advice. I already got the 4 into 1 marshall exhaust and the motor is fresh and balanced to within .5 gram with a mild port and polish on the head. I am running the stock air box now but think going to pods+dynojet might help get the most out of my motor.
    Thanks guys!
    No point in having a nice head and stifling it with a stock intake and exhaust.

Comment

Hey Billy, thanks for the reply...ya that is kinda my thinking but dont know how much more power I would get out it. It seems to run ok with the 4 into 1 and the uni filter(stock style). I will let it brew in my head for awhile I guess....

Comment

jet kit and pods are 1/4 the cost of porting and balancing a crank, might as well spend the 250 bucks and complete the package.
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Hey First, its totally not the money part, it would only be like 200-250 bucks. Its the talk I hear about how the carbs only work right when left stock.
          My displacement is still the same, I do have a UNI filter in there which flows better than stock paper, the port and polish job was nothing drastic(like a stage 1 kinda job), the 4 into 1 exhaust was just necessary cause my orignal stock one had cancer everywhere.
          I would like a bit more power if it can be had without trading off drivability and reliability.

So far I figure I got 2 votes for the pods.

Comment

driveability will be fine once dialed in right. Might be a little touchy in the rain at least it was with the 550, the tank would drain water right onto the filters and choke them up.
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

I say do it. I would love to hear what your results are. I am planing on working jets pods and 4-1 pipe into my 650GL but i need the exhaust first. I have the jet kit and pods are no problem but I have some striped screws on my carbs so I thin I may need another set to do it properly.

I was worried about the rain and pods but i think if you leave the side covers long and maybe fabricate a little rain shield above the pods it will be fine. Let me know what gains you can git out of it. The power to weight ratio is the great on the 650 as is that thing should move really well when done!!

Good luck.

Comment

exhaust

Thanks guys!
                Where did you get your Marshal exhaust and what did it cost you? I thought the only 4-1 pipe was MAC and I have heard they are marginal at best. do you have a sound/video clip??

Comment

Originally posted by mpls-ugly View Post
                  Where did you get your Marshal exhaust and what did it cost you? I thought the only 4-1 pipe was MAC and I have heard they are marginal at best. do you have a sound/video clip??
                  Hey there mpls-ugly, I actually had a really hard time getting the 4 into 1 from marshall/laser, but it was worth all the headache. Go to youtube and search for marshall deeptone and you will come across a few videos/sound clips. It does sound nice, but not like the kerker sound on my Magna. It is a mellow kinda deep tone(as the name implies). Ya I hear ya on the Mac....I think they just look cheap for the most part and have heard a bunch of negative talk about them. The 4 into1 cost me like 475 a year ago. They are made in the netherlands I think. The Marshall systems are very popular over in the UK from what I understand. I have a brand new extra 4 into 1 setup that I have been thinking about throwing up on ebay....dont know though, at the time I thought I would be building another 650. Now, not so sure...

Hey First, I hear you on the rain. That was another one of my concerns....but I dont ride in the rain by choice....ever. So if get caught in the rain it would not be too bad I guess.
                  So what kinda gain could I expect....5....10 HP?
                  Alright, at this point I am leaning to the pods+dynojet set up. At least with the pods, getting the carbs on and off isnt as bad.

Comment

So what kinda gain could I expect....5....10 HP?
                    Alright, at this point I am leaning to the pods+dynojet set up. At least with the pods, getting the carbs on and off isnt as bad.
                    If you want a guess, I'd say 3-5. That's as seat-of-the-pants as I can get.

Comment

3-5, really...thats it? Hmmm, maybe I should rethink this.

Comment

Do it!

Please do it and document it for the rest of us in the 650 club! There isn't much info on the forum about 650s with pods and a pipe. With your mild porting work I'd be willing to say you'd see more than 3-5 hp. Plus it would make your bike that much more bad-ass.

Comment

3-5, really...thats it? Hmmm, maybe I should rethink this.
                          What's the stock hp, and what have you got now? 3-5 should be close to a 5-7% increase, which isn't too shabby.

The only way to tell for sure is to dyno it, and even then it's kinda iffy. You'll need to use the same dyno, the same operator, and have the same weather conditions for reliable results.

Again, my guess is just seat of the pants, which is probably where you'll feel it.

Comment

Alright guys, I am going for it. Will be ordering the dynojet kit and the pods today or tomorrow. Just got to do some shopping around to see where to get them from.

thanks for your imput guys!!
                            Bri

Comment

Good to hear and good luck. Keep us in the loop.

Something Ive heard over and over is that this set of mods helps power but really helps throtle response and smothing out the power curve.

The stock Hp on the 650 is 73Hp and at 466 Lbs for my heavy GL thats 6.383 Lbs. per HP. My friends KZ1000 is listed at 91 HP at 528 Lbs. so you get 5.645 Lbs. per HP. Another 5 Hp and the 10 Lbs. you save with the exhaust may get you in the 5.8 Lbs per Hp. not bad for a 650 in my eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X