Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

97 yzf1000 front end and swingarm fit gs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 yzf1000 front end and swingarm fit gs?

So I got this 97 thunderace for FREE and although the forks are not inverted, they do have full adjustability, are 48mm and have 298mm discs. my question is: has anyone fitted these forks to a GS and if so, was the spacer the same 5mm that the 600 forks require? also, the swingarm, rim, braker assy. is in good shape and was seriously thinking of trying to fit this setup on the bike as well. I have yet to pull the bike apart, and was just wondering if this is something i should try to tackle?

If you have the time, anything can be done

Comment

What are the steering stem bearing sizes for that Yamaha? And how long are those forks compared to the GS forks (ground clearance can be an issue with newschool forks)

Most any front end from pretty much any bike will fit on another bike so long as a) the stem length is correct and b) you can find appropriate sized steering stem bearings. All GSXR triples will bolt up to a GS frame for example with a bearing swap.

Comment

They're a bit longer than my FZR600 forks, and much much better forks. You'll need a 5mm~7mm spacer to stack under the lower bearing in order to get the right clearances on everything. Then just bolt it up and it'll look a little like:

...except maybe a little cleaner...my bike is a beater...

Comment

You can even get a new steering stem machined and pressed in if you really wanted. I have a friend putting a GSXR750 front end on a 79 CB750 and that's what he had done.

Comment

There's no need to unless you're just really offended by the extra length...the FZR600 and YZF600/1000 all share the same stem dimensions with the GS except those few mm of length.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              There's no need to unless you're just really offended by the extra length...the FZR600 and YZF600/1000 all share the same stem dimensions with the GS except those few mm of length.
              Off topic here but, what kind of pipe is that ?

Comment

old-school-cool kerker

Comment

should I use the GS bearings or the yzf? I also have that pipe on my 750 but jet-hot coated aluminum finish. I am fabbing a midpipe and jardine can off a gsxr1k to fit up to the kerker. those are some huge primaries on the kerker

Comment

Well, its my understanding that unless you want to change the headstock tube, you're gonna want to use the GS bearings

Comment

You can use either the GS bearings or the YZF bearings...they're the same...use which ever are in better shape. I'd prefer the GS bearings just in case there's a mild difference in pitch, but there was not a measureable one that I found.

Comment

thanks for the help w/ the forks... any idea about the arm?

Comment

I'd measure the width, if it's wider than the GS swing arm then I would find a different swinger. Easier to make a spacer than to mill the swing arm.

Comment

Working...
                          X