Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather + pods on a '77 GS400

Howdy,

For a learning project, I recently picked up a 1977 GS400 that is a bit leaky and has white smoke. I'm looking to build it into something of a rat/bob kind of thing, and have welded up a solo seat, rigid struts on the back, etc. It came with gaskets and o-rings so I'm going to freshen the top end down to the jugs.

To improve power and to make room for my fender (now that the rear end is lowered), I'm looking to take the air box out. Also, because my mufflers have holes in them, I'm thinking of replacing them with straight fishtail pipes (maybe with 1/2 baffle from a friend). I know that this will likely mess up my carb, but with white smoke, from what I've read I'm guessing it's either running lean or maybe oil 'misting' from valve guides/seals. In any case, I'm doing a lot of stuff at once, so I expect to have to fight with the carbs a bit in the end.

My question is this: if I use the crappy EMGO pods, don't I need to find a way to hook the crankcase breather into the pods (so I don't lose the vacuum for scavenging crankcase air)?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Atchbo

No, just vent it to atmosphere via a K&N filter on the end of the breather pipe, that's what the rest of us do... You could also pipe to a catch tank I guess.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Really? Wouldn't it be better to put a PCV valve in there at least?

My other thought was to see if I can find a few inches of 52mm hose that could be used to make a 1 or 2 inch velocity stack before the EMGOs. The breather could then be plumbed into that piece of hose to maintain the breather vacuum. Maybe that's not necessary.

Atchbo.

Comment

No... most performance applications remove a PCV valve & go to a catch tank on cars.

You can do whatever you like, your idea of plumbing it into the side of a carb inlet just means it gets recirculated - better for the environment, that's about it....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X