Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anybody know the exchangability of exhaust on the twins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anybody know the exchangability of exhaust on the twins?

I have a 1983 400, would the exhaust on a 400/425/450/500 be interchangable at all? I know they all LOOK similar, just wondering cause I am having a heck of a time finding something.

I also read that the 450 motor in the E model was the same as the 8v 400 in my bike, and also that the later 500e was a punched out version of the 450, so maybe?

also this makes thoughts of my 8v head on a 500e motor dance in my head

Comment

I think there's a real good chance you could use one from the late model GS500. Port size is the only thing you need to check. If they use the same exhaust gasket your set.

Comment

well, it seems the 450 and 400 DO take the same exhaust system, as I found a kit listed for both models.

And the 89-02 gs500 does take the same gasket, HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

also this really makes me wanna do a franken-twin

but a 2-1 exhaust with a nice new slip on is a good start.

be nice to see one in action first though, hate to do all the work and hate it

Comment

I think this looks like a gs500 exhaust, anybody with more experience know if it is? Doesnt look like it fits right by the can, but I would cut that off anyways...

Comment

Hanging in my storage building is a pair of pipes from a 450E( maybe it is called an S) ..

They were stock black .. we cleaned them and repainted but never installed them.

Let me know if you want to look at them.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-17-2009, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I dunno if it will work now, it seems the exhaust ports on the 500 are angled differently, so maybe not?

Comment

It's probably not enough to make a difference. I'm running a pipe from the last of the oil cooled GSXRs on my 700. Valve angles changed a couple of times between my 700 and the last oil cooled GSXR.

Comment

seems tough though, on the 4xx's the pipes angle out cause the frame is in the middle, but on the 500's they angle in cause the frame is on the outside, it looks like the ports are parellel with the motor, like "straight out", where on mine they angle out about 20 degrees...

only one way to find out if no one else has tried...

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
                    Hanging in my storage building is a pair of pipes from a 450E( maybe it is called an S) ..

They were stock black .. we cleaned them and repainted but never installed them.

Let me know if you want to look at them.
                    hey, your PM's are full, I would totally like to see them!

don_ferrario@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                    X