New pipe for my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New pipe for my GS

Got this brand new stainless Supertrapp pipe on eBay for a good price. Problem was... it was for a 89 ZX750R. Some cutting, welding and pipe wrestling, I got it to fit, but it leaked like hell at the exhaust ports. I wound up using two sets of gaskets and some copper pipe found at the hardware store to adapt the smaller pipe to the larger ports. Now she's all sealed up and it was even warm enough today to go for a ride and listen to the sweet, sweet music. Man! this sure beats the old pipe with the hole in the #3 header! Not to mention the much needed ground and front wheel clearance.

Looks sharp

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
      Looks sharp
      I'll second that.

Comment

I still love the look of those wheels... Any reason you haven't cut off the right side brake bracket? Would make it look cleaner?

Exhaust looks good too
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

what are the forks and swinger from? that is a killer bike

Comment

Sweet pipe, haven't see a SuperTrapp in a long time. I had a 4-2 stainless SuperTrapp on my '85 FZ750 way back when and loved the sound and the way it was tuneable.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              I still love the look of those wheels... Any reason you haven't cut off the right side brake bracket? Would make it look cleaner?

Exhaust looks good too
              I haven't cut off the bracket (I think you mean the brake caliper bracket) because I was on the fence about running one disc or two. Still not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jabberjoe87 View Post
                what are the forks and swinger from? that is a killer bike
                99 GSXR 750 forks, and GS1100 swingarm

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
                  I haven't cut off the bracket (I think you mean the brake caliper bracket) because I was on the fence about running one disc or two. Still not sure.
                  Ahh I thought it was a supermoto wheel with no option to run a right side brake

What wheel is it?
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It's a sportster hub with a 19' aluminum rim.

Comment

So custom rim on front Sportster & matching custom rim on GS rear? I was thinking of doing something like that on my skunk...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

A friend had sold me the rear wheel with custom rim already on it. He had a front wheel but it was just a stock GS1000 wheel. I sold that, and was lucky enough to find a matching rim (rim only) on eBay, then laced it up with a hub I had layin around. I love the way these turned out, wire wheels are the way to go.

Comment

I'd love a set like that... Priced it up at Buchanans a while back (I think that's the place) but it's kind of a lot of $$

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

what are you using for rear shocks? length? Im using exact same suspension parts but havent figured out rear shocks yet.

Comment

They came off an Iron Horse chopper, but made by Progressive. 418 series 12" shocks. Available from 11.5" to 13.5". They work but don't have the proper clevis on the botton like the stockers did.

Comment

Working...
                              X