Twinpot Brake upgrade on 78 Skunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi salty
    I have GS 750 1979 Model and wiuld like to upgrade the calipers.
    Do you have the brackerts for sale?
    steve
    79 GS 750 E

Comment

Yes I still have some kits on my shelf. It's about $135 (USD) all-in to Australia depending on what shipping you want. I wish a few more of you guys would club together, the flat rate boxes would easily take half a dozen sets for no more shipping cost
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Please advise by PM if you have a kit still available for a 79 Gs1000L. Thank you, Alan

Comment

The kit doesn't work on a typical L fork (leading axle). You'd have to either change to axle under type fork legs or use the brackets as a template to cut one specifically for the L. All the spacers etc would work....
          It's been done before using one of these kits as a base but not by me. I've never had an L to play with (and there's not a lot of demand).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Good afternoon,

i have had my 1983 gsx 1100es for several years and have recently become aware i would perhaps like to stop a little sooner, old age and reaction times perhaps, bit of a long shot but you wouldnt happen to have an adaption kit and list of parts for a 1983 GSX 1100 es? im in the uk.

regards Neill

Comment

Hi Neil - I just got back from there, could have bought you a set of brackets over... I do still have some on my shelf. I'll PM you. Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Finally bolting up the salty monk twin pot upgrade on my 1979 gs1000e and I see the speedo drive dust seal (#10 in parts Fischer metal shield with 6 holes for rotor bolts) extends about 4mm past the wheel hub. I don't see why I should trim the dust seal in fact I think it should be longer to further envelope thd speedo drive. Now I'm wondering if I trimmed it before powder coating. I remember in this post with directions there was something about trimming the dust seal and just read that was for some later bikes. So I laid the wheel up the speedo drive and see that the drive fits into the dust seal and there's a ledge on the drive so the seal extends around the drive and that ledge on the drive is sbout that same 4mm.
                this is where I'm scratching my head because the tabs on the speedo drive only extend about 0.030" into the hub notches barely giving much drive surface. But the speedo drive itself laid up against the hub hits home to the wheel bearing inner so even with the old stock rotor, or untrimmed dust seal (if I did trim it), I would not have deeper contact between the speedo drive tabs and the hub notches. This is looking like I should trim the speedo drive itself so the drive tabs extend deeper into the wheel but that don't make sense because I'm sure the drive inner is flush with the wheel bearing inner acting like a spacer in which case the only way I'd have more tab contact area would be to use a different speedo drive (or tab washer which is removable with a snap ring.
                now I know I'm sounding like an idiot because even with just 0.030" tab to hub notch contact, the wheel does drive the speedo. All that said, the dust shield definately isn't holding the speedo drive out so I'm thinking I should bolt it up because it will be how it was with the old rotors​
                Attached Files
                1979 gs1000e (everyday) 1977 gs750 for sale
                1983 yam xj550 maxim streetbob sold
                1995 gsx750F everyday fighterjet 1990 gsx1100F for sale
                2000kaw zx600
                2003 BMW K1200GT sport tour
                2000Buel Cyclone M2 motorwork
                1984 Yam venture xvz1200 -long ride/cold ride ride gf ride..
                1978 Honda cb750F3 supersport top end (still)
                1976 Harley FL 3/8" S&S stroker - motor out way too long
                1980 Harley fxs80 - wacked good on this one

Comment

Working...
                X