No announcement yet.

1150 rear spring swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i took the leap today and removed the rear shock and measured up the busa shock, everything looks good but it has to be mounted upside down.the bottom that was the top is a direct bolt in. exactly the same so that was easy.
    as for the other end it wasnt, about a 1/4 in of material had to come out. i had 4 sides to work with so about a1/6 th per side was taken off with lots of material remaining for strength .after long hours of filing the two pieces fit with enough room for two thin shims to keep the aluminum from wearing against it self.
    the top eye from the 1150 shock had to be cut off and put back in its place for a spacer.
    reassembly took a short time and i was off on a test ride ,wow what a differance the settings have to be played with but it shure feels good better than ever before.
    ill update on the setting when i get them figure out. as everything is backwards rebound dampining is now compression and so on.
    i think this is going to work out good. ill up date soon.....toolman

Comment

Compression & rebound adjusters should not switch... normally you can run a shock in either direction no probs.

I guess being piggy back might change some things but I don't think so....
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

you may be right,i dont know exactly yet. ill find out more when i fine tune it. ill post the settings when i figure them out.....toolman

Comment

Very cool. I look forward to a further update.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            Compression & rebound adjusters should not switch... normally you can run a shock in either direction no probs.

I guess being piggy back might change some things but I don't think so....

That is funny, when Tool man said his damping was swapping with the upside mount, it did not think much about it but said to myself OK.

Of course compression is when the shock gets compressed or gets shorter and rebound the opposite. It has nothing to do with shock orientations.

Comment

ok so after thiking about it i was wrong ,thanks for the correction .
              with this enlightenment things should be easier .sorry for the confusion.
              settings will come and i might try the 1150 spring on the busa shock ,any thoughts about this are welcome.......toolman

Comment

Originally posted by toolman View Post
                ok so after thiking about it i was wrong ,thanks for the correction .
                with this enlightenment things should be easier .sorry for the confusion.
                settings will come and i might try the 1150 spring on the busa shock ,any thoughts about this are welcome.......toolman
                I would think the 1150 spring would be pretty well worn by now, at least more so than the 'busa. Couldn't we just compare spring rates for both of them and see if they're comparable?

Comment

the spring rates are very differant, i dont know how much but its alot.i do have a low milage 1150 spring to try but i think that a spring in between would be nice .i have seen busa springs in the after market maby there is somthing there. the busa spring is a bit too hard , even for me at 240 lbs and liking a hard stiff feel to the rear.
                  if anyone has the spring rates for the 1150 and busa the info would be very much apreciated......toolman

Comment

so i went out to the shop and tore the rear shock out one more time. pulled the spring off my low mile shock for the 1150 and interchanged it with the busa . now rebound is set at half way and the compression is out three quarters. it feels way better than anyting i have tried before .
                    the setup that i have in there now is the 1150 spring on the busa shock, the compression is 3/4 out and the rebound is 1/2 way.the spring is pre loaded to 1/2in of thread showing.
                    i think this is the set up thats going to work. my lovely wife and myself are going to spencis bridge for dinner tonight so ill be able to see how it handles two up.
                    thanks to everybody for there input and support throughout this whole rear shock and spring swap fiasco .......toolman

Comment

If this ends up being a good swap, what're the chances you could do some sort of official write-up - hopefully with pics - for the site?

We'll be your friend...

Comment

unclemike:this setup seems to work. the busa shock is a good candidate because they are available and cheap, the one i got from ebay was $30 for the shock and $40 for shipping.all the rest of the work was done in my shop with hand tools .
                        as far as a write up goes no problem. if i pull the shock out again ill take lots of pics and if i dont i will still write out the whole procedure in detail so others may try it to.
                        thanks again .....toolman

Comment

wow what a differance, with two up it handled perfect no bouncing and no wollowing in corners. it trasformed the bike from almost unridable to a very smart handling ride . this is a great mod for the money.......toolman

Comment

Working...
                          X