What aftermarket exhausts fit 83 GS850L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What aftermarket exhausts fit 83 GS850L

I'm trying to find an exhaust that will work for my 1983 GS850L. What years and models of other bikes will fit? Is the port spacing on the head the same as a 750 or 1000? I've also found exhaust for the 850, but only for up to 1981 model year if I remember correctly, or will that one work?

If i remember correctly, ANY exhaust will BOLT UP from a 750 to 1100 all years but bracketry may need fabbed. port spacing is all same. I have a 16v 1100 kerker on my 8v 750 and it fit no prob.

Comment

i know this is an older thread but still a good read as i've been searching for 850l alone. at least i can search from the 750-1100 range, now. i have a question, though. i'd like a 4-1 but dont want to mess with jetting and whatnot, i dont plan on getting pods or anything because making it breathe more wont really net that much more horsepower compared to me upgrading to a v65 sabre like i want. if only it were possible to get around 90-95hp at the wheel in these ole' girls lol.

Comment

I have heard that w/ MAC exhaust you don't NEED to rejet. That being said, I can't see upgrading and exhaust for power and not having to rejet. It only stands to reason that a motor that is breathing through stock intake setup and exhaling through stock exhaust would not benefit from breathing through bigger tubes unless it was infact pulling more in. Thus, no need to exhale more than you can inhale. Am I on to something here?

Comment

Originally posted by 77GS750inCincy View Post
          I have heard that w/ MAC exhaust you don't NEED to rejet. That being said, I can't see upgrading and exhaust for power and not having to rejet.
          Who said the MAC is a 'power' upgrade?

Yeah, it might flow a bit better than stock, but some people change pipes for looks or sound, not just for power.

My son's 850 came with a pipe on it, not sure if it's a MAC or not, and it had non-stock jets in the carbs. After getting the bike running and testing it, it appears that 120 main jets work OK in this bike. It is my understanding that the stock airbox imposes more of a restriction on overall airflow than the exhaust system, so just changing the exhaust won't require as much of a jetting change, but it will require some.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

all 1977 750-1986 1150 pipes will fit with the exception of the 1983 gs750E/ES.
            some will fit closer to the pan than others and visa versa.
            a hanger will have to be made to hang the meg or collector.
            simple huh?

Comment

Working...
            X