wanting to get into drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanting to get into drag racing

Ok, so let me start with saying that drag racing is in no way a new thing for me... I have probably made 300 passes in a number of cars and bikes. With that being said, I have never had a designated bike to race, just taken a few street bikes down on test and tunes. My question is a: what can i expect froma good running 77 750 with pods and pipe? Will this chassis be a good platform to build upon? (1100 swap, small car tire, nitrous... you get the idea) this will not be a overnight build as I have priorities before toys... But I would like to limp into the sport as opposed to jumping into it fullbore and try to launch a 14?? cc GS on spray off the 2step. My biggest concern is will I be able to have this bike grow as I progress? Thanks for the input. Also, this conclusion was drawn today while at tristate on my brother-in-laws 07 gsxr600. And the fact that i am playing hell to get the title for this sled.

You would be much better off to start with an 1100 chassis. The swingarm pivot bolt holes are smaller diameter than the 1100 & the 1100 frame is STRONGER to begin with. I've seen 2 different 750 framed dragbikes with 1100 motors, slicks, wheelie bars,& they were JUNK handling! As in DANGEROUS! The frames flexed. PLUS, everyone makes TONS of bolt on chassis stuff for the 1100/1150 frames. I've got an 1150 frame I'll let go for 50 bucks + shipping to get you started. Let me know if you are interested & give me a call at 714-356-7845. I am a drag racer, I build GS motors, have LOTS of motors & parts, & do chassis work. Let me know if I can help you in any way, Ray.

Comment

ray, i appreciate the 1150 offer as every little bit helps. I bought this 77 w/ the intent of just riding it and building something bigger ie: 1426 gt30 18-25 lbs of boost. but since this title fell through, i am now left w/ a 77 750 all stock save for pipe and pods and can't do $hit w/ it. Maybe i will just get the electronics set up on it and log some passes. never left off a 2step or on spray. this should be fun. also i hope you don't mind me picking your brain a LOT. one more question. how do these old GSs fare by comparison to this new crap (i say crap only bc I can't afford it)

Comment

Good there will be 2 GS's at Tri-State, amongst all the newer bikes. . (Theres a black one that comes up every so often). Would that happen to be you ? ? ? ?

Comment

Depending on your state ? Have you tried IT-title service??

Comment

not me... mine is still in the "not running" stage. But I will be there this weekend for the first time HOPEFULLY. Bike is currently a brick red w/ little to no clear. I should have it painted and together by sat. Its going to be a matte rescue green.(think new jeep wrangler) I am trying to get this thing to run and will worry bout the pretty stuff after the fact.

Comment

You will probably find it difficult to get that bike into the low 13s. Any 600 out there has the power to walk a stock GS1100. Let alone, a 77 750. That give you an idea? Let me know if I can help. Ray.

Comment

WOW... I had no idea these things were slow!!! I may be better off sellin this thing and starting w/ a moderately built 1100. When I was younger ,16 or 17 my neighbor had a pretty built 1150. The bike went 10.30s with him on it and he rode like the 65 y/o man he was. This bike was clean as clean could be. He was selling it for $1600 to me if I wanted it and my mom shot my down. This bike is too fast, you'll get killed. Mind you I was riding a ZL 900 at the time and it was a pretty fast bike, not to mention way outdated by comparison to the 1150. So he held on to it and said when you're ready for it, it'll be here. He has since moved and sold the bike off. Boy, I bet we all have a story like that "The one that got away"

Comment

Working...
                X