Didn't find THIS in the search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't find THIS in the search

I have a 1979 GS750, what the biggest (widest) tire I can put on the rear on a stock swingarm? I kind of like the look of the original old school swingarm. Would a 190 be too big? (just joking of course ). Any ideas? Thanks guys!!!

120/90 is all you can go without a different wheel and mods
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If you look at the Avon site it has recommended & "allowable" wheel sizes listed for all their tyres. I use & like Roadriders.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thabk you guys! I love this site!

Comment

Remember that going wider will often make the bike handle WORSE, not better. If the tyre 'moves around' too much it will not feel as stable in corners. It quite often also upsets the overall geometry of the bike.

Comment

I have a 130/90/18 on the rear of my 750 with a 2.15x18 stock spoked rim.
            I just installed it a few weeks ago but so far so good.
            I was a little concerned about pinching and handling but as the tire has worn off its new tire shine it has nice wide patch where it is making contact with the road.
            As far as handling I haven t noticed any difference from the 120/90/18 I had on there last year.

Just remember I am not an expert nor am I saying this is the way to go just sharing what I have done right or wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
              I have a 130/90/18 on the rear of my 750 with a 2.15x18 stock spoked rim.
              I just installed it a few weeks ago but so far so good.
              I was a little concerned about pinching and handling but as the tire has worn off its new tire shine it has nice wide patch where it is making contact with the road.
              As far as handling I haven t noticed any difference from the 120/90/18 I had on there last year.

Just remember I am not an expert nor am I saying this is the way to go just sharing what I have done right or wrong.
              A 130 is too wide for a 2.15 rim, but it's not going to throw you off or anything. You will notice the sidewalls pinch in significantly to meet the rim which causes excessive curvature of the tire tread. You will most likely wear out the center of the rear tire more quickly due to this extra roundness to the profile.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree, I was very reluctant at first about putting the 130s on the 2.15 rim.

But after looking things over and really thinking about it......

I had a 120 on there last year and it only lasted for 1 season approx. 10K give or take a few. But it wore very evenly and across the whole rear tread and the 130 is not that much bigger.

So even if it does wear a little faster or just wear in the center a little more
                I am going to be replacing after one season maybe a season and a half anyway.

I was going more for the "look" than for performance.

What will be real interesting is when I get my front rim relaced with a 2.15x18 rim and fit a 130/90/18 on the front!!!!

Comment

Wow, that's some god input. I'm not trying to get one too wide (although, I'd love to put a wide one on there), so 130 is pushing the wears too quickly mojo. The pinching of the sidewalls, is it noticeable on the 130 or dangerous? This is my 3rd GS 750, but I've never had one long enough to wear out the tire. Had other bikes in between-but keep coming back (and now I'm staying!) to her classic beauty!

Any recommendation on inexpensive, but still safe tires? I have to replace front and rear soon. Thank you!

Comment

There are more choices min 130 than 120. I've used both. Bridgestone BT45's wear fast for me.
                    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Good to know, thanks 850Combat!

Comment

Working...
                      X