Front end swapout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end swapout?

Among the many MANY things I'm considering to do to my 650 GL, I thought a GSXR front end is a fairly sporty upgrade. However, I wonder which gixxer front end will fit. Will all of them bolt on? Or do I have to find a GSXR 650 front end to get it to fit? I recently read a thread here that involved a gs1100 with a gsxr 1100 front end that bolted up easily. Is such a thing possible with my bike?

Originally posted by Rein View Post
    Among the many MANY things I'm considering to do to my 650 GL, I thought a GSXR front end is a fairly sporty upgrade. However, I wonder which gixxer front end will fit. Will all of them bolt on? Or do I have to find a GSXR 650 front end to get it to fit? I recently read a thread here that involved a gs1100 with a gsxr 1100 front end that bolted up easily. Is such a thing possible with my bike?
    No such thing as a GSXR650, you must have meant 600. About the only thing you need to watch for is the type of bearings, even then they can generally be swapped out. Look for tapered bearings on the triples. 1100 forks are longer which is why they get recommended. Just make sure te wheel and brakes come from the correct range of years. Up to '95 you can mix and match forks and wheels. Then there is another range of stuff from models called SRAD that can be used together. Beyond that range pretty much everything can be mixed and matched.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
      No such thing as a GSXR650, you must have meant 600. About the only thing you need to watch for is the type of bearings, even then they can generally be swapped out. Look for tapered bearings on the triples. 1100 forks are longer which is why they get recommended. Just make sure te wheel and brakes come from the correct range of years. Up to '95 you can mix and match forks and wheels. Then there is another range of stuff from models called SRAD that can be used together. Beyond that range pretty much everything can be mixed and matched.
      So as long as I get forks and wheels from a pre '95 gixxer, they'll match out? How do I go about replacing the bearings on the triples, and where isa favorable place to purchase them from? Do the forks bolt right up?

Comment

Originally posted by Rein View Post
        So as long as I get forks and wheels from a pre '95 gixxer, they'll match out? How do I go about replacing the bearings on the triples, and where isa favorable place to purchase them from? Do the forks bolt right up?
        You shouldn't have to swap bearings if you stay '95 or newer. Most bearing shops wil have them if you just want new bearings. They will just bolt up but you'll probably need to do something about steering stops to keep the forks of the fuel tank. You'll have to do something about headlight brackets too.

Comment

Rein

Here is the front end I assume you will need, these are from a 94 GSXR 1100. The 750 GSXR will work as well but they are shorter and ground clearance becomes an issue. You can also get a lot of info here www.robwilton.com go to the TECH section and click on CONVERSIONS. Rob is also a member here (KATMAN)

Last edited by Guest; 05-04-2009, 11:00 AM.

Comment

I've got a line on a GSXR1000 front end, fairly recent, I think it's 2005 or so, can it still be successfully swapped? It's a dirt cheap part out, but just wondering if it's worth the effort. I know that the newer gixxers don't have the speedo drive in the wheel anymore, so I'll have to go to an electronic speedo, which is fine.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2009, 12:30 AM.

Comment

the speedo conversion is as easy as getting the proper speedo to match the front end!!!!! can be found fairly cheap on ebay......

run with it.....and get creative!

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                the speedo conversion is as easy as getting the proper speedo to match the front end!!!!! can be found fairly cheap on ebay......

run with it.....and get creative!
                My question is if it will fit though. Is there any extra work (pressing/machining) I'll have to do, or does it pretty much bolt on? Will the 05 fit?

Comment

YES.........the speedo drive on the later models looks a lot like the older as it slides through the axle. It just has electrical connections/wires instead of a cable that goes up to the speedo!

Like I said.....get the one that goes with the front end! Get a complete front end, forks, triple, bars, axle, wheel, brakes, gauges, etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado85gs550 View Post
                    YES.........the speedo drive on the later models looks a lot like the older as it slides through the axle. It just has electrical connections/wires instead of a cable that goes up to the speedo!

Like I said.....get the one that goes with the front end! Get a complete front end, forks, triple, bars, axle, wheel, brakes, gauges, etc......
                    I wasn't asking about the speedo.

The triples are a bolt on fit right? Is there a need to swap the steering head bearings, or do they still match up? If so, how do I know what bearing to get? Basically just grab the whole front, undo the top and bottom triples ( and the axle thing that goes through it ) and replace?
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

You'll need to swap out the bearings on the 2005 front end.

Comment

It can be a bolt-on with the right bearings.....if you decide to go with this front end, I'll research the proper bearing sizes for you and send you the correct numbers for you to get them.

PM me the specifics:

year, make, model of bike it's going on
                        year, make, model of bike the front end came off of

I'll do the research to help you....will take me 10 minutes!!!

Comment

No.

Dont.

stop....

Whats MORE important than bearings, how they look, etc etc etc is HOW LONG ARE THEY? you better be sure they're long enough. While a 650 isnt one of the heavyweights, its no lightweight sport bike. How much weight are you putting on inevitably shorter forks? Are they long enough to begin with that you wouldnt bottom the bike out?

Even MORE importantly, Your bike is not only an "L" but a "G" on top of it. You can do NOTHING to your rear end to compensate for what you're doing to the front. So now, with a 2005 fork, running a radial tire in front, bias ply thats probably nearly the same width on the rear.... Not a good idea...

Colorado here, while trying to help and full of good intentions, isnt thinking things thru and might also not be familar with the model of bike you are trying to do this to...I would recommend that if youre going to do a "modern" front end, you stick with first gen gixxer stuff...

Comment

Working...
                          X