need new exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need new exhaust

looking for an inexpensive but relatively decent exhaust system for my 1981 gs1100e. i dont want to rejet i like the performance i would like better sound. i have a k and n filter in the stock location but i dont want to rejet because of the exhaust. any suggestions?

what do you have now? If it is 4:2 then unless U can find another stock pipe U will need to reject because 4:1 is about all there is. Not that bad of a deal really.

I have an OK black pipe with some rust from an 83 GS1100ED 4:2 OEM pipe .

Pos

Comment

I remember there being a company that advertised a 4 into 1 that required no rejetting. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of them.

Comment

I think there is a manufacturer in the UK called Motad that makes the claim of not needing to rejet for a 4-1. Not sure if they ship stateside though. Looks like they even make a pipe for your bike.

Comment

If you're running with the stock airbox it is unlikely that you would need to rejet. That said, Mac exhausts claim that you would not need to rejet but they are not the best quality.

Comment

mac exhaust that is the name of the company. thank you. they have low quality products? anyone have any opinions on this statement?

Comment

Originally posted by roadhamr View Post
              mac exhaust that is the name of the company. thank you. they have low quality products? anyone have any opinions on this statement?

Ya, I personally think Mac is cheap and dont like the sound of them to boot. Check out Marshall Deeptone 4 into 1.. They are made nice and have a great sound....I think they even make some 4 into 2's for some GS bikes...just not mine.

Comment

i was speaking with my local parts guy and he showed me the vance and hines system but it is pricey! looks good and has a greta name so can tbe all bad. any opinions?

Comment

I've always liked the Kerkers as they are top-notch quality with no
                  jetting. Nice throaty tune and an excellent fit. If you can find an old
                  one meant for your bike, that is the way to go. New ones are expensive
                  compared to the ones that came out the same year as your vintage bike.
                  And you can repack them.

I remember buying a Kerker system in Van Nuys, CA for a 1981 GS750 back in 1981. At that time it was under $200. Now they are double or triple the price for a compete system......if they still make them.

I don't care for the Vance and Hines as they do away with your
                  center stand. Not worth any price for this option.

Comment

I have a V&H system on my bike and I love it! Nice deep growl.
                    AND I keep my center stand, so I dont know what model you are talking about, mine is an '82 GS750.

Comment

Hi,

I have the 1983 GS1100esd with the Vance and Hines "Super" 4/1
                      exhaust instead of the usual trademark "megaphone" version. I miss
                      the center stand as it defeats it. I gave away my stock black pipes
                      which was a huge mistake.

I don't like any exhaust that defeats the center stand. Does not
                      make any sense at all for a swap of a few pounds lighter. When you
                      are miles from home in the boonies with a rear flat tire, and need to
                      remove it and/or need the chain replaced, you'll know how important
                      this is. The center stand is one of the best features of these old bikes. You want to access the rear wheel whenever a crisis occurs in that
                      area.

I've heard some V&H have exhaust systems that retain the center
                      stand. This is the way to go as you have both worlds with more
                      options to your discretion.

Comment

i have a chance at a kerker 4 into 2 header. i think i should probably go for it yes?

Comment

I too have the V & H chrome 4-1 megaphone exhaust on my GS1100ESD and was able to retain my center stand. I was not able to do so with my prior exhaust which was the V & H black Sport exhaust system which also covered the drain plug.

Here is the web site where I got my current 4-1 exhaust.

Here is a link to the 4-2 MAC exhaust.

Good Luck!

Kichigai
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2009, 04:43 AM. Reason: Added Picture

Comment

videos?

Youtube has a terrible dearth of any video comparison for diff. exhausts on GS bikes-- can anyone help us all with some sound to these names/ attributes on exhausts?

Comment

Working...
                            X