oil cooler for 81 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
    You'll need an 1150 oil cover for a proper installation of any cooler.
    Is it necessary with an after market? like an Earl's?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2009, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Does anyone have a pic of this?
      Look a few posts back.

Comment

Is it necessary with an after market? like an Earl's?
        with or with out the 1150 cover itll still work ...however ...with the standard 1100 cover it wont be as efficient as the 1150 cover . it would only be getting 50 percent or so of the oil flow .

if i remember correctly either earls or goodridge do a drilled plug specifically for the 1100 engine that fits into the gallery which allows you to retain the original oil cover

Comment

if i remember correctly either earls or goodridge do a drilled plug specifically for the 1100 engine that fits into the gallery which allows you to retain the original oil cover
          BacoChef Performance Parts makes one 2.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            BacoChef Performance Parts makes one 2.
            I'll work my magic for $10.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              I'll work my magic for $10.
              I think I saw you on a street corner in SF once!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                I think I saw you on a street corner in SF once!
                That'd be site.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ok so i bought a 1150 cover for $10 at the local used bike parts dealer, i got a 700 or 750 oil cooler from billy ricks (thanks again). what i need now are the fittings for the cooler. i'm going to install a thermostat between the cooler and engine so stock line won't work for me. so where is a good place to find fittings and does anyone know the size and type fitting off an 83 750e cooler (same as 85 700e) any help is appreciated

Comment

you can use hose clamps or call Paragonperformance

Stainless Steel Braided PTFE Hose, Custom Brake Lines, Washing Machine Hose, stainless steel braided PTFE, heat pump hoses, power trim hoses, silicone vacuum tube and Audi Performance

The OEM suzuki stuff is some odd metric size.

Not sure why you need a thermostat as that is a small cooler and a big engine. Just more places to leak.

On mine GS1100ED I always ran to about 180 deg minimum. 220 when hot or possibly 250 in Death valley.

Comment

For both my bikes I went to Summit Racing for hoses and fittings. www.summitracing.com Stick with the Summit brand, rather than Earl's or Russel Performance, and it will be budget friendly.

I used -6 steal braided hose and AN fittings. And I had to fabricate or otherwise purchase adapters both at the engine and at the cooler. Easy to do if you are handy.

The cooler on my GS1000 has a built in thermostat. For my GS1100 I purchased an in-line thermostat, also from Summit. It helps to keep the oil in the motor until the temp gets up. But that happens pretty quickly out here in Cali.

On a recent road trip with the GS1000, at high altitudes I was barely hitting 150 degrees. At those temps is good to keep the cooler isolated. At lower altitudes, Death Valley & Las Vegas, I was glad I had the stat. Oil temps in Vegas were reaching 260 degrees in traffic!

Comment

Working...
                      X