GS550 front end onto 1981 GS450S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 front end onto 1981 GS450S

First of all thanks go to Colorado85gs550 for the parts and the killer deal. Everything for this swap including the front suspension, brakes, guages, and rear brakes came from his bike which now has a GSXR front end.

First pic is the bottom of the fork. I replaced these studs, one was stripped and for 10 dollars I got all new ones and nuts to go with. They hold the axle on.

Bottom bearing, grease this sucker up really good. This is the bearing from the GS550, it slides in like a glove to the GS450 race. Check and replace these as necessary.

Comment

Packing the top bearing. I have always put a shlob of grease in my hand and packed the bearing into it working it around to make sure it is squeezed into every nook and cranny. This is the top bearing from the GS450. The dust cap and the top nut from the GS450 worked great on the GS550 steering stem.

Comment

The fork assembly fitted to the 450. The 450 top nut and dust cover are visible where they should be.

Please disregard my messy garage I have two non-running race cars in my way most of the time. lol

Comment

GS450 ignition switch bolts right up to the 550 triple clamp.

Comment

GS450 gauge cluster bolts right up to the 550 triple clamps. I will be using the GS550 gauges as soon as I wire them up but if you don't have them to use, ride on after a few bolts. A note, I bashed the studs out of the gauge cluster bracket and used long bolts and steel tubing to lower the gauges about 3.5 inches on my 450 to match the clipons. The GS550 gauges need only about a 2 inch drop to look good. More on that later.

Comment

New 16" GS550 front wheel bolted up. It looks like I may need to drop the forks a little in the triple tree but I left it the way it was for now. When I finish and put it on the ground I can always lower it some. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do with the handlebars either.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Brakes bolted up like everything was meant to be there. I stuck the tank and tail on just so I could see how awesome it looks, It's not quite ready to ride yet. I don't really like how high the 550 clipons are and I may cut and weld them or get a set of clipons to put above the triple tree. One thing to note is that the 550 fork tubes will smash the 450 tank if allowed to go full lock right or left. I am hoping my steering stabilizer will solve this problem, or I will have to weld in some stops. Or maybe I'll be really careful who knows.

Comment

That's it for now, I will keep this thread updated as I get more completed.

Overall this has the easiest swap of anything I've ever done on anything. Everything just bolted up like the 450 and 550 were the same bike with a different trim package.

Extra thanks for everyone who ever gave me advise on this forum. I'm glad I can finally give a little back, hopefully this helps another 450 owner looking make their bike look and handle better.

Comment

Great project.
                    I canīt wait to see how you lower the gauges. Mine on the GS450 looks as huge as a wind shield.
                    JF

Comment

I haven't fooled with it this week but I saw your post and snapped a pic of my "bracket". I ground out the stud that was in the factory gauge bracket revealing a hole. got some round steel stock and cut it to the length I wanted to lower it. Got a big bolt from lowes. Flip the bracket under the triple tree holes and bolt up. Here's a pic of the 450 gauges with the new bracket.

Comment

High riding clipons flipped later (tarozzi, love em) GS550 rear wheel but no brakes.

Comment

GS550 rear wheel, new AVON Road Rider 120/80-18 tire and rear brake caliper mounted. On the sprocket side, it is the GS450 cush drive and spacer. On the brake side it is the GS550 spacer and caliper mount. The brake disc lines up perfectly as does the chain line, all inside the GS450 swing arm. With the 18" wheel, 120 is about the extent of what you can get in the 450 swing arm. If you went with a GS500 wheel, 3.5" x 17" you could probably do a 130 or 140 but I decided not to mess with it because there was other stuff to work out that I wasn't willing to fool around with (besides, with the 120/80, it worked out to be pretty close to the same gearing as the 450 and I already had the wheel and I'm cheap).

Comment

This is the GS550 master cylinder and the mounting bracket that I made and welded up. My rearsets were already there from the PO so I adapted the mounts to them. In the future I may replace them with some facy ones, but for now, they work fine and had safety wire hardware that I liked the idea of keeping.

Comment

Completed assembly. GS550 brake line, GS550 linkage that was inserted into the existing rearset contraption that was on my bike. 1/2" square steel rod was hammered flat, welded and ground down to make the brake support rod. 1/4" steel stock welded to swing arm to fasten the support rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X