Dixie 4-2 slip-on Exhaust dilemma gs1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dixie 4-2 slip-on Exhaust dilemma gs1100

My stock exhaust set-up was completely rusted through on the right side so i went ahead and got a set Of unused old school Dixie brand pipes made in japan. They are originally tagged for a KZ900 but the measurements seemed to fit so i picked them up.

My problem is on deciding which GS headers to use. I have the original 1980 Gs1100e pipes which i cut the mufflers off right where the megaphone mufflers were welded. I also have a set of 1977 Gs750 headers which are uncut because that year used a slip-on crimp gasket to attach the mufflers.

The Gs750 pipes slip right into the Dixie exhaust as it were meant to, The Gs1100 pipes do not, they are the same diameter as the dixie.

The Gs1100 pipe set-up has an "H" pipe for the inner two cylinders. The Gs750 pipes do not have an "H" pipe, they are all equal length straight through. Would the "H" pipe be beneficial to equal out the exhaust flow for the 4-2 design?

Although the Gs750 pipes slip in the Dixie Mufflers perfectly they will need to be bend to shape on the Gs1100 engine and frame. I like that i would have a more closer fit tucked to the frame and engine for ground clearance since the rear of the bike is lowered 2"inchs and i may decide to lower the front. The exhaust gaskets may be a problem, the Gs750's pipes fit near snug in the port without the gaskets unlike the gs1100. of course the GS1100 pipes would match up no doubt.

now for the original Gs1100 pipes to work with the Dixies mufflers i would either need to cut a sliver out of the pipe and jam it into the dixie. Or I could cut the dixie at the right angle and have it welded right up against the gs1100e pipes.

What do you guys think about my dilemma? any insight would be greatful to get this done shortly.

The Gs750 exhaust is pictured above on the outer right side of the engine. the Gs1100 exhaust pipes in the middle are pictured above.

^the Gs750 pipes should fit with a small bend in them

Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X