Anyone want to talk me out of a 170 Rear Tyre..... 750ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone want to talk me out of a 170 Rear Tyre..... 750ES

Mocked up the 83750ES in the garage with the 17x5.5" wheel fitted with a 170 tyre on it today..... looks mean

The wheel fits on there with minimal clearance. I have about 4mm a side when close to the back of the adjustment area.....

So 170 tyres are a little rare -- is it impossible or just a bit more difficult?

So other questions / thoughts:

1. How much clearance do I need between tyre & swingarm?
    2. I won't have much room for chain adjustments, in my experience so far you don't need a lot but that's all depending on whether the chain is an exact link fit in the right spot.... Going to be a big problem?
    3. On the subject above... could I lengthen the slots a couple of mm if I had to... there is about half inch material behind the axle which I would think is plenty (there shouldn't be any force against that end of the slot anyway, it's all on the adjusters & must force going forwards anyway...
    4. Think I'm going to probably have to open up the swingarm a little, I know that has been done by one of the other members on here. He jacked it out an inch to give an extra 1/4" clearance at the rear, I guess I may need a little more than that.....
    5. Looks like I'll either have to move the front sprocket out a little or the rear in a little (maybe a bit of both), seems to be plenty of clearance to tyre at the moment & plenty of meat on the sprocket carrier to do this... Is there an offset sprocket for the front that I can get (Thinking probably 520 chain but maybe 530).

That's all I can think of for now... I do have access to a smaller wheel to fit a 160 but it's going to cost me a little money to get it here & nobody else has a 170....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Hi dan

The if its a suzuki 3 spoke 5.5 wheel its designed for a 180 tyre so the 170 will be slightly out of shape on there, although this is a common thing to do its not right the 170 should be on a 4.5 & the width of it will be slightly different on there

Having tried this on a 750es i's say go with the 4.5 & 160 or 170 tyre to keep it right, you will struggle with a 180 on a 5.5 as the chain will be close to the frame

you can space out the front sprocket by putting washers behind it & if needed slimming down the nut so that the threads still fully catch, None of the available offset front sprockets will give the exact clearance you need for correct chain alignment, taking up to 8mm off the rear carrier can help though theres also plenty of gs/ gsx & gsxr carriers that will fit stock suzuki wheels (70's 80's & 90's ones) some of these are are little slimmer

hope some of that helps

Comment

Thanks Tone.

It's mainly because I have the wheel here already... Getting my mitts on a 4.5 means swapping this one out with a member in Canada.

I did do some research on 170's & a couple of manufacturers list a 5.5 as an optional wheel for them, is it that bad?

I don't think the Chain is the big issue with a 180 I just don't think I can fit it in the swingarm, I'm tight on clearance with the 170.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hi Dan

It can be ok having a 170 on a 5.5 mate, as you say some makers list it as an option, very few tyres measure up to the exact size quoted so personally i'd only go with a 170 that was recomended for that wheel, having said that i have run one in the past with no problems but my mate did the same & it felt like the bike was on marbles

Keep your eye on what profile it is as well mate as the lower profile ones will squeeze out of shape slightly more on a 5.5

Sorry i cant be more specific

Comment

Id be worried about the sidewall clearence to the swingarm. Not knowing the tire, youre going to want to know how much flex the tire is going to have. On my 1980 L theres only enough room for a 140 safely, maybe a 150 if I stuff it in. And since Im building a cruiser/chopper, I wont be "getting down on it" much. Id have to see a pic of the swingarm to say, but I would think if its the box style aluminum swing arm, its going to be a litle harder to widen it than say the tube style on my 1980.

Comment

Dan,
            You need to figure out where you need to have the rear wheel ride with respect to the frame. This is why I have a spare frame and it is upside down so I can measure offsets. The maximum allowable deviation from C/L is probably about 2-3 mm. As Tone mentioned you then adjust the front countersproket or machine the sprocket carrier to get the chain to alighn. You also need the right rear spacers made to get you there. Have you got the correct brake hanger for the rear rotor?

As you probably know, I'm doing 170/60-18 on the 4.5x18" wheel as it is a whole lot less drama and improves the ground clearance due to the extra height in the rear.
            Jim

Comment

Didn't know you were also going for a 170, think you're using a bandit swinger a la Katman?

It's a box section swingarm on the 750, monoshock.

I will likely run the Avon Vipers they state they work with a 5.5... Or perhaps the Bridgestones BT21 or BT20 from memory. There is a decent selection. Not too worried about the sidewall flex - there isn't a lot of it on the 170/60/17 tyre...!

From what I can see so far I should be able to run the wheel dead central to the swingarm, no issues there but I will need to move the sprocket over a bit (in board). I seem to have enough room to do that as I have both ends to work with & will probably go to a 520 chain to give a bit of extra clearance.

Also appears that I can open up the axle slots in the swingarm in order to run the wheel a little further backwards. If necessary I will slot it through to the end & change the method of retention for the wheel adjusters, do something more like the 1000/1100 setup.

I also believe I'll be able to use the GSXR rotor with the GS caliper seems to work ok, might have to get my hands on a shorter hanger/mount & obviously will need some work on the torque arm but nothing too difficult.

The GSXR sprocket carrier I have is about the same as the GS wheel in both height & fits both wheels (i.e. they are interchangeable). Anyone know if any of the GS/GSXR models have a much shorter sprocket carrier (with 6 slot cush drive).

So... so far the small resistance has only convinced me to go for it

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

After installing the 4.5 160 combo on mine, I don't see how anything bigger would fit. The little bit more that a 180 is in width is not worth the hassle.
                Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                  After installing the 4.5 160 combo on mine, I don't see how anything bigger would fit. The little bit more that a 180 is in width is not worth the hassle.
                  170, not 180...

Actually it has not a lot to do with the tyre width & more to do with what bits I have available here right now... (I have a 5.5" x 17" wheel already).

So... tonight I jacked the swingarm open a bit & I now have a decent amount of clearance when I mocked it up

What I could do with now is a longer 17mm or 20mm axles... Mine is 11.5" from top of the "stop" to the tip of the thread.... Anyone know if one of the other models is longer?

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
                    Tone,

I'm concurring with what you have said.

With respect to the Bandit Rear Wheel it is a 5.5". The Bandit and the RF900 used exactly the same part number for that rear wheel (rim). The RF900 (94-97) always came with a 170/60ZR-17.

I think the Bandit always came with a 180, at least all references I can find say it did. My FZ1 has a 6" rim and runs an OEM 180. Nothing I've written has any bearing on what might fit in Monk's swingarm, however I think it does indicate that Suzuki felt that rim could take either width. Which is basically what you've said above. Just some added data points.
                    Hmm strange i run an RF900 as my day to day bike both the sticker under the seat & the owners manual specify a 180 as the stock rear tyre (ive just been to check) maybe this is down to diferances in spec in the US & the UK i'm not really sure the rest of what you said re B12 & RF9 rims etc i totally agree with

cheers tone

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      Hmm strange i run an RF900 as my day to day bike both the sticker under the seat & the owners manual specify a 180 as the stock rear tyre (ive just been to check) maybe this is down to diferances in spec in the US & the UK i'm not really sure the rest of what you said re B12 & RF9 rims etc i totally agree with

cheers tone

Here's a UK link for ya. See specifications near bottom of page.

"It's not often that you get quality and style along with 'budget'" - MCN reviews the SUZUKI RF900, plus specs and owner ratings: If you need rapid transit, this is it.

Comment

my buell had a 170 on it when it was new on a mechanzi (sp) 5.5 rim i did put 180 michillen racing pilots on it at 3000 miles because the dunlop was toast . as far as stretching swinger i did it on an hd and have never been able to get axle from sliding forward and loosening chain

Comment

I might have a '93 GSXR axle around here I can measure up.

Comment

Found an axle now Billy thanks, 20mm - Now I just have to adapt the swinger to take it & get all the spacers right!!
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Found an axle now Billy thanks, 20mm - Now I just have to adapt the swinger to take it & get all the spacers right!!
                              Try to take most of the meat off the swingarm under the axle instead of over for strength's sake.

Comment

Working...
                              X