So I had my 650 dynoed this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I had my 650 dynoed this weekend.

My buddies and I went to a bike show sunday and there was a vendor that had a dyno. I wanted to see exactly how much horsepower I was puttin out. Once she was on the dyno, I was impressed, as well as a few people watchin, that she didn't pop or backfire like all the harley's did. After they were done, they gave me the print out. My carbs are PERFECTLY tuned, which made me happy. But the best pull was 50 HP and 35 ft lbs of torque. Is that about what it should be puttin out?? What are some tips/mods I can do to get more horsepower & torque?

If you go by manufacture specs, those seem a little low.

Being as the G and the K are the same engine. I have no idea what mine pushes at this point. Im sure a 26 year old bike that hasnt been rebuilt is running the same numbers it did years ago.

Comment

Keep in mind that dyno hp readings vary from one to the next, from operator to operator, and even depending on the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
        Keep in mind that dyno hp readings vary from one to the next, from operator to operator, and even depending on the weather.

Could be that site is showing DIN rated HP too. I know there is a difference between DIN and SAE ratings but I don't know which way it goes without.... oh here, check this:

http://tinyurl.com/lter86 it looks like about 70hp after converting from Kw

/\/\ac

Comment

Factory horsepower claims were rated at the brochure
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

my brother has a dyno and i'm thinking about putting the 850 on in at some point. Then in a year or two i'll need to replace the stock exhaust then perform another run with V&H to see the difference.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

50 hp sounds about right to me. There are losses getting the power to the ground compared to mfg ratings that are at the crank. My guess is that if the dyno were corrected for things like weather and pressure factors the hp may increase a little but not a whole lot.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The dyno was damn accurate. My buddy's 08 Fatbob was dynoed earlier this year after in did a stage 2 upgrade. It was puttin out 90 hp. He installed bigger baffalds (the kit came w/2) which made it louder. He put it on the dyno and it was still at 90 hp. He was a lil upset about that but I thought it was slightly funny.

I plan on puttin a MAC 4-2 exhaust on (whenever it comes back on eBay) and a K&N filter. Thats about all I wanna do now cuz I wanna ride more that work on my bike.

Comment

That does sound about right, a 1000 is only mid 80's (stock... at the crank) right?

Comment

Probably...ANY HP rating, be it from a manual, or or brochure or whatever is AT THE CRANK. Dyno ratings will vary from dyno to dyno, dpending on the program, calibration, operator, ambient interference, etc etc...50HP sounds pretty good, considering i believe that the 650 is rated at 67HP at the crank, a 17HP reduction thru the drive chain is a little much, but not completely out of the realm of reality...what a Dyno, IMO is best for is simply assuring that the bike is operating at desired levels THROUGHOUT the operating range, that there are no sharp spikes in power output, unless its desired etc etc.

Comment

yep there is more HP at the crank on a eddy brake dyno compared to an accelerometer dyno.

the transmission and chain take 15 ~ 20 % right off the top
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I don't really think I want to know what the dyno info for my bike is. It definitely feels fast for an old bike, and I can guarantee that it is faster than it was when I got it. Besides, we all know these bikes aren't actually fast so much as they are vintage-fast.

To me fast is a feeling, a perception. If your bike feels fast, a concrete number is more likely to disappoint than not.

Try to think of horsepower ratings as analogous to how many previous 'boyfriends' your girlfriend has had. It definitely effects performance, but do you really need to know the exact number? It might not make you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post
                          I don't really think I want to know what the dyno info for my bike is. It definitely feels fast for an old bike, and I can guarantee that it is faster than it was when I got it. Besides, we all know these bikes aren't actually fast so much as they are vintage-fast.

To me fast is a feeling, a perception. If your bike feels fast, a concrete number is more likely to disappoint than not.

Try to think of horsepower ratings as analogous to how many previous 'boyfriends' your girlfriend has had. It definitely effects performance, but do you really need to know the exact number? It might not make you happy.
                          Hey, I like your last paragraph. Yes, sometimes it's better not to know.

I only put my 850 on the dyno because I wanted to measure the increase in performance over stock numbers. I had a Aussie dyno test done in '79 to compare with. The Aussies got 57 hp at the wheel, mine did 73 hp. I'm pretty rapt with that. HP increased by 28%. Torque increase was even more impressive, but the Aussie curve was pretty flat in the 3000 -5000 rpm range and didn't improve as much as I would have expected to red line. I think their needles weren't set right.

I'm still running stock carbs and airbox too.
                          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                            yep there is more HP at the crank on a eddy brake dyno compared to an accelerometer dyno.

the transmission and chain take 15 ~ 20 % right off the top
                            I agree with this.....After an engine build on a souped up cage, I went to the dyno and pushed 625hp to the wheels. I was expecting more, and kind of bummin, but after I accounted for the drive train loss.....All was good.......tranny and chain ( or shaft) eat up some power

Comment

Originally posted by beergood View Post

I dont care who you are..THAT is funny! And so true too...

Comment

Working...
                              X