Mod Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Ideas

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to increase the HP, torque or anything to get more speed out of my 1981 GS 650E. And what aftermarket pipes will fit on my 2 to 1 Headders.

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
    Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to increase the HP, torque or anything to get more speed out of my 1981 GS 650E. And what aftermarket pipes will fit on my 2 to 1 Headders.
    1. Nitrous

2. Put in a 750 engine (don't know if you can do that in the 650 though)

3. On my 750, I can put an 850 top end--maybe you can do something like that with the 650?

Comment

Only nitrous would apply

The problem with 650s is, that most of them are Gs and therefore sport touring bikes

Not many speed parts out there for them

A 4-1 pipe and pods may yield a few HP, but not much

If you want more power, get a bigger GS!

Lots more cost effective

HMM

1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

A tow strap and hook it to the back of a porche.

Comment

You mean a chain and hook it to the back porch?

Or a tow strap and hook it to the back of a Porsche?

If you get desperate, here is another way to make it quicker:

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ACtually, if he TRUELY has a 650E, its a 550 bottom end with a 650 top end. Meaning, it has 6 gears. NICE, and rare as well... Just so you know, if its an E (chain drive) it might be worth a decent amount of money as GS's go if you return it to stock and make it look good.

Comment

My 650l has a Mac 4 into 1 and the jets were bored out. I've done some work to the baffle and I think its a pretty strong runner. My brother did the work to it in school and his instructor said its the strongest 650 he has ever had on the dyno there. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 54-56hp at the rear wheel. I don't think thats too bad for a 27 yr old bike with 20k miles on it.

Comment

6 gears? mine has 5.. cause its 82 perhaps?

Comment

Yup mines an E, chain driven bad boy. I was thinking of making it more custom. Drag bars, bar end mirrors, dual headlights and aftermarket pipes. This is all hopes of course. Anyone know if drag bars will fit on my bike? how do i measure if they will before i buy them? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PoppaDre View Post
                    Yup mines an E, chain driven bad boy. I was thinking of making it more custom. Drag bars, bar end mirrors, dual headlights and aftermarket pipes. This is all hopes of course. Anyone know if drag bars will fit on my bike? how do i measure if they will before i buy them? Thanks
                    If it's a bit of a rare GS I wouln't do anything but restore or sell it. Then you can get a bigger bike which would be a far better way to get the extra zip you want, but will never get starting with any GS650.

Comment

Drag bars do fit partially. I have drag bars on my 650G and they do hit the tank if you are not careful. I have heard you can't swap motors unless you go to a 550 because of frame size. There may be room to boar it out but why do it. You could find some can to fit onto the header with a little work. If you do that go get a header from the junk yard and save the original if its indecent shape.

A six speed would make for a hot setup but if speed is what you need it's not in any 650. I didn't want to fork out the cash for a crappy MAC exhaust so I made my own out of the stock and it worked well. I cut the pipes just behind the passenger foot rest and had open pipe inside a small megaphone and welded in baffles. Its odd but unique. Ill post a pic sometime. Depending on your build the 650 can be a small bike too. Im 6-3 and its a little cramped. Keep it or sell it but if you want a hot bike, step up to a 1000 down the road. Im keeping my 650 and picking up a 1.0L over the winter to build. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                      X