Marzocci Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marzocci Shocks

Has anyone used them? If so what are your thoughts?

Another pic

Comment

Those appear to be the gas charged Strada (street?) shocks, the 1980's & 90's series normally have the bodies painted red with black springs. Never seen a chrome sample. The Strada's are low end gas charged shocks sorta equivalent to a Fox Street Shox. You can expect a very firm ride with stock springs unless you are over 200 pounds. Marzocchi followed the Italian suspension philosophy of make it firm first and we will worry about compliance or dampening later.

Marzocchi later introduced the Symbol shock which was based on the Strada with additional rebound damping. They looked great but were stiff as a board. Cosmopolitian Motors, PA was the distributor back then and may still be.
      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

The 'bees knees' back in the day. Originals (red & black ones) are highly collectable and sought after now. I have two sets that I won't part with.

Comment

I've had them fitted to my Katana for 24 years and they have performed very well on all road surfaces and conditions, solo, two-up, sport and touring. I also like the fact they are inexpensive to rebuild and the seals are still available. I get 60,000 km out of them between rebuilds, yes they've been there for 180,000km now. There are better shocks around, but these are fine for the job in my case. Yes Zooks, mine are the red and black model as well, with the yellow decal, cheers.
          Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM.
          Shin-Ken 1074
          1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
          1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Lookin at the pic those don't have a clevis mount for your GS and the spring diameter "looks" fairly small. Are they for the Kawi or RD350 . . .
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
              There are better shocks around, but these are fine for the job in my case.
              Agreed. They are a bit 'dated' now but are still pretty good. I also love the fact that they can be rebuilt. I love the fact that they are 'period' correct for the era as well.

Trivia - Ducati used Marzocchi shocks and forks for decades. I'm not sure if they still do???

Comment

Probably the best off the shelf shock in their day. As the guys have said above there is better equipment around nowadays but I've run them on a few GSs and, with them being period correct, I think they are my favoured shocks - Konis edged in to second place.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post

Trivia - Ducati used Marzocchi shocks and forks for decades. I'm not sure if they still do???
                  Not just Duke but a few of the other Italian bikes came with Marzocchi as standard - some still do - and the Ities know a thing or two about handling.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post

I thought the Italians were using Showas, Sachs on the the mass production models & top flight Ohlins on the high end 1098R's etc.

Comment

I picked up a set recently that were actualy in pretty good shape. Here is a link to my question about rebuilding and such. A picy of the guts as well. Looks very well made

Last edited by posplayr; 07-24-2009, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I've got the red and black ones on my 1100. It rides great!.

Comment

Here's some info on rebuilding kits. My e-mails copied and pasted.

you can order directly through us. Just call 661.257.6630 and ask for Moto Sales

----- Original Message -----

Thanks for the quick reply. Do I buy directly through you, or a dealer?

Thank You,

Marzocchi Moto <moto@marzocchiusa.com> wrote:
                          Your rear shocks are the AG-Strada shock, and we do have a seal kit for these. The part number is 850193/C, and the proper air pressure is 28-42 PSI.

Comment

Ok let me see if I get this right. They seem to be the Strada model, red and black is the norm for these, rebuild kits are still available. Thanks guys for the information. Maybe I can e-mail a pic to Marzocci and they can definatly id them for me. Yea I bought these for my 73 Z1, It got ran over in a parking lot and I am trying to get it back together. Yall guys have been a great help. I am interested in more info on these if there is any.

Comment

Best shocks on my original GS1000E back in 1982 when I was a youngster. The original gas and air OE ones failed and it was the tried and tested route for the period.

Hard or impossible to find in the UK now.

Comment

Working...
                              X