progressive shock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

progressive shock question

I put a set of Midi shocks on yesterday, and these are going to have to be replaced! They are too stiff. My question is what weight of spring should I be getting for the Progressives when I order them? Also, PM me if interested in the Midi's

I think folks are going to need to know what you weigh, and how often you ride two up. I've also read recommendations to call progressive directly and discuss it with them.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I weigh 230lbs and went with the 105/150 heavy duty springs on my bike. The shocks are set at the #2 setting (1 being the lightest) and this is very comfortable for me. The bike rides like its on rails.

Comment

I'm 200lbs and rarely ride 2 up.

Comment

You would probably be better off with the regular springs.

Comment

Im interested in the MDIs...what length? Wanna trade for some forks and a triple tree?? Lemme know.

Comment

I weight 175 and have the heavy duty springs. Set on the second setting, is great for jumps!

Eric

Comment

You can also try Hagon. Go to thier website and pick the style shock you want and then call them. They will ask you questions about your weight, riding stlye, two up percentage and then match the spring rate with what you tell them. I have a set and they are good shocks. Progressive also has a tech support number, the 12 series are also supplied with the damper and they have different choices on the spring weight available for the dampers.
                82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I weigh, um, a lot... (about 270) and I ride like a bat outta you-know-where.

My Progressive 12 series shocks are wearing the extra-extra-heavy duty springs -- they're actually only listed for very heavy older bikes like the Kawasaki Voyager and the Gold Wing, and the rating is 120/170.

In your case, the Heavy Duty springs should be perfect -- Progressive lists regular and heavy duty springs for the GS850, so just go with the heavy duty.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

At 200lbs you are sort of on the borderline. The heavy duty springs are stiff, you probably could use them at the lightest setting but if they were too firm then not really much you can do. If at some point you plan on 2 up riding you would want the HD springs.

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                      At 200lbs you are sort of on the borderline. The heavy duty springs are stiff, you probably could use them at the lightest setting but if they were too firm then not really much you can do. If at some point you plan on 2 up riding you would want the HD springs.
                      Not even two up, if you plan on packing for a rally, you can easily end up with 100lbs of crap on the bike in tools, clothes and whatever else...

Comment

Not even two up, if you plan on packing for a rally, you can easily end up with 100lbs of crap on the bike in tools, clothes and whatever else...
                        Good point..I hadn't thought of carrying any gear. Perhaps the HD springs would be the best choice for you.

Comment

Well, I am 240 lbs or so and ride 2-up fairly often so I hope the MDI's I ordered are going to be ok

Comment

Well, I am 240 lbs or so and ride 2-up fairly often so I hope the MDI's I ordered are going to be ok
                            No one on the forum had any feedback on these shocks? They must be stiff according to the OP's comments. Hopefully they will work out for you.

Comment

MDI's: They work fine on my friends 550. Too stiff for me at 165lb but not impossible. About right for him at 230 -240 ish. A couple of clicks on the preload for his girlfriend on the back (about 120 at a guess looking at her).

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X