Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwy Gorilla???

Anybody seen one of these before?

No...sure haven't. Is that a straight cut gear? I can't tell...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

When we were discussing Nessism's welding job on the basket I voiced whether you could drill & tap the rivets once the heads were cut off & bolt. That looks like exactly what has been done here....

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        When we were discussing Nessism's welding job on the basket I voiced whether you could drill & tap the rivets once the heads were cut off & bolt. That looks like exactly what has been done here....

Dan
        Unfortunately we don't have anybody willing to fess up as to having done this and lived to tell about it .

The clutch vibration could easily shake loose even red loctited screws that were torqued with those flimsy Allen heads .

I for one would not trust it especially in comparison to a welded alternative.

Comment

I don't disagree... I'd rather have a welded one too. Maybe if you drill a stepped hole & put a small spring in under the head (as per the bolts on the other side), that might work, they don't come loose
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That's a new one to me! In all the years I've been building & racing them, & time at V&H, I've never seen that before. I can't say it won't work but I still kind of like welding over that idea. In a positive, I've bought from, & talked to the seller & he is an upfront guy. Want his phone #? Ray.

Comment

I agree with the welds being a better choice - especially for a street bike. The reason I say that is racers will pull the hub much more frequently and check it over, while street riders just ignore them until problems come up.

Comment

Working...
              X