GSXR cams in a GS motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR cams in a GS motor?

Anyone put GSXR 1100 cams in a GS1100 motor? I've been told they look a lot different but bolt right in. wondering if anyone else has done it and was there a major power gain?

Originally posted by jeffd View Post
    Anyone put GSXR 1100 cams in a GS1100 motor? I've been told they look a lot different but bolt right in. wondering if anyone else has done it and was there a major power gain?
    It has been done; not universally recommended because of the differences in cam journal sizes; Rapid Ray does it.

Comment

Over 130 HP at the rear wheel with 88 GSX-R 750 cams. They are .350 lift on the intake & .330 on the exhaust. A friend of mine on this site, GregB, has a set in the 1229/1150 motor I built for him & it hauls the mail! PM me for my # if you want to call to talk about it as there are a couple of things to watch for when doing it. Ray.

Comment

Man that is an impressive gain. other than the cams and head, is money/work needed anywhere else and is that achievable on an otherwise stock 1075cc GS G?

I have a 8 valve 1985 (1st registered 87) GS1100G (see profile pic) and most of a spare motor in parts. Have someone wanting the head, but I have some time with it so am thinking maybe I could have the work done on the spare head and swap it over for mine

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        Over 130 HP at the rear wheel with 88 GSX-R 750 cams. They are .350 lift on the intake & .330 on the exhaust. A friend of mine on this site, GregB, has a set in the 1229/1150 motor I built for him & it hauls the mail! PM me for my # if you want to call to talk about it as there are a couple of things to watch for when doing it. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Green View Post
          Man that is an impressive gain. other than the cams and head, is money/work needed anywhere else and is that achievable on an otherwise stock 1075cc GS G?

I have a 8 valve 1985 (1st registered 87) GS1100G (see profile pic) and most of a spare motor in parts. Have someone wanting the head, but I have some time with it so am thinking maybe I could have the work done on the spare head and swap it over for mine
          Your G is 8V right? Wont work GSXR is 16V and is only feasible for 16V GS's

Comment

Yeah I kinda figured the extra lobes would be hard to accommodate, but I had to ask .

Comment

Working...
            X