No announcement yet.

What kind of exhaust is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up the same MAC pipe from a member here a while back. There are no indications on it as to the make, but it is ceramic coated. One of the telltale signs that it is a MAC versus the Kerker counterpart is the quality, and strength of steel in the flanges. The MAC flanges bend quite easily when tightening them up. The almost Identical Kerker pipe on my CB750 has much stronger flanges, and is marked Kerker.

I agree that MAC pipes are a tad lower on the quality side, but if they are taken care of, and the flanges aren't torqued to 200 ft pounds, they are a great exhaust. The ceramic coating on my cheapo MAC is very nice...

I would assume yours has the removable baffle?

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Yah, it must be mac exhaust then. The baffle comes out, but I haven't taken it out. I have little problems fitting the exhaust as far as mounting the muffler end. Does anyone have pics of their 4 to 1 installed?

Comment

On the back end you'll have to probably fabricate a little bracket or something. They're kind of "universal" so they dont really fit right up to every bike without some doing. Ive used a simple piece of steel or alu bar stock with appropriate holes drilled into the ends to make it work..its just support.

Comment

Here is a pic of mine mounted. I bent up a Small piece of stainless stock for a bracket as it didn't come with one...

I just used a stainless bolt in the slot on the can and made up the little bracket to mount it to the stock exhaust mount...took 5 minutes.

Hope you can see it ok..

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Ah, that's exactly the same exhaust on my bike haha. I Guess I'll have to figure out a bracket to support the end. I've just been idling it to cure the paint tonight. I was kinda wondering why the exhaust flanges weren't flush, but looks like that is normal.

Comment

Yeah...just a simple piece of stock will hold it, just use lock washers. Did you replace the crush gaskets?

Jeff (teet)

Comment

I think mine is a MAC as well. There are no markings on it at all.

Comment

Yah, exhaust looks the same. Where did you mount the muffler to. I can't see it in pics.

Comment

Originally posted by dlanes View Post
                    Yah, exhaust looks the same. Where did you mount the muffler to. I can't see it in pics.

Sorry these aren't the best, but I just ran out and snapped them in the dark....little dirty under there...lol

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by teet View Post
                      Sorry these aren't the best, but I just ran out and snapped them in the dark....little dirty under there...lol

Jeff (teet)

Those are great pictures. I think that explains what you were talking about perfectly.

Comment

Yah, those pictures are perfect. I was thinking how I was going to mount it at that point and how I would have to bend the mount.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreef1999 View Post
                          Those are great pictures. I think that explains what you were talking about perfectly.

Thanks! Theres no substitute for a picture when trying to explain something!

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by dlanes View Post
                            Yah, those pictures are perfect. I was thinking how I was going to mount it at that point and how I would have to bend the mount.
                            Glad I could help! Let us know how you make out with it.

Jeff (teet)

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                              sleek rainbow titanium finishes.
                              ...which is very pretty, but actually indicates that the titanium reached a critical temperature without being properly shielded, thus dragging in atmospheric contamination. It looks very pretty, but it is not as strong. The only color that should ever appear in a titanium weld is a light yellow--shiny, chromey look is preferable.

I hope to pick up a used Kerker pretty soon for my GS750. First, I need to get it running.

Comment

Working...
                              X