GS1150 cheap rear shock upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 cheap rear shock upgrade

Not sure if this has been told yet but a Honda CBR900RR rear shock is a bolt in upgrade for the GS1150 shock. I have not tried a 929 or a 954 yet but if you want a better ride and better 60' ft times get you a CBR shock off of Ebay. They are cheap.

Does it matter what year 900rr? I wonder how cleanly the stock shock adjusters near the side cover can be removed? I also wonder how much a 900rr weighs?

I want to do this, along with clean up my linkage. The PO got battery acid all over my rear shock and linkage and never hosed it off.

Comment

shock

Mine I think came off of a 96 model. It has a nice red spring and is much firmer than the GS shock. plus it s fully adjustable. I did run the spring tension up though. I simply just took the adjuster off. Currenly I am looking at the Kaw ZX11D rear shock. It might be a better choice. What I would like to do is upgrade the whole Susp. to the newer type GSXR parts.

Comment

I have one off a Ducati Monster 900 that fits... it's a Showa unit. Fully adjustable. (Preload & rebound anyway).

I'd like a look at the CBR unit too - thanks for the tip.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What did you do with the Canister??

1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm in the process of putting the 1150 spring on a Hayabusa shock.

Comment

shock

I mounted it under the rear. The busa shock has a clevis on the bottom the 1150 does not?

Comment

Yes. You mount it upside down and use the top eye of the 1150 shock as a spacer for the clevis, apparently.

Honestly, if this works better I'll abandon this and go with the CBR shock.

Comment

i

I see. I didn't think of that. If it works that is great. I have my 07 ZX14 shock that i replaced on it for a dragshock. I might see if I can do something with that.

Comment

Any chance of some pics?

The Ducati SHowa shock is pretty much a straight fit. I had to grind off the machine "split line" on the casting by the mounting eye but that was it.

Not tried it yet. Think the spring might be a bit soft for the 1150 - hoping it's perfect for the 750 though....

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

pics

I picked up a nice Ohlins race shock for the 1150. it's a cool looking billet shock that does not have a remote resivor. But I think the spring may be a bit soft for for my 225 lbs. I will get some pics up

Comment

I'm very interested in what will fit, as the shock on my red '85 ES is toasted. The '84 is still serviceable but if cheap replacements are available it'll get replaced this winter too.

Comment

The Ducati one definitely will fit. I paid about $35 for one.

Just ordered a CBR one for less than $30 to have a look at too.

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            The Ducati one definitely will fit. I paid about $35 for one.

Just ordered a CBR one for less than $30 to have a look at too.

Dan
                            I got a CBR one as well. I have no interest in making the 'busa one fit.

Anyone wanna buy a cheap 'busa shock?

Comment

Anyone want a CBR Shock? It's too short for the 750... 300mm instead of 330mm. Maybe the 1150 is different. I know the swingarm is slightly different as I've compared them side by side.

$40 shipped anywhere in the 48 US.

Dan
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                              X