No announcement yet.

GS1150 cheap rear shock upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm..wondering if will fit the 85 700???

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Hmm..wondering if will fit the 85 700???
      The 700 shock length is probably the same as the 750 and the Ducati unit is just long enough. If the CBR shock is shorter than the Ducati, it's too short.

As for the Ducati unit Dan did you use the GS spring or the Ducati spring? I used the GS spring and the dust cover so when I mounted it upside down junk won't accumulate around the shaft.

Comment

Not mounted it yet as bike is still being built but intending to use the Ducati spring.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Not mounted it yet as bike is still being built but intending to use the Ducati spring.

Dan
          Cool. The Ducati spring is quite a bit shorter than the GS spring and I had to adjust the preload ring almost all the way out to use it. I delivered the bike to my son as soon as I finished it and didn't have time to sort the suspension out, but he says it rides pretty good anyway. Once you get it running give a report on how the Ducati spring feels.

Comment

Any idea how the Ducati's spring rate compares to the stock spring?

I searched around but never found data on the stock spring rate for the shock on my 550. It would be cool if anyone had any info on the stock spring rates for the mono shock bikes.

Right now I'm using the 550 spring on a 200x gsxr shock body. Seems to work pretty well. The gixxer spring was waaaaaayyyyy too stiff.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
              Any idea how the Ducati's spring rate compares to the stock spring?

I searched around but never found data on the stock spring rate for the shock on my 550. It would be cool if anyone had any info on the stock spring rates for the mono shock bikes.

Right now I'm using the 550 spring on a 200x gsxr shock body. Seems to work pretty well. The gixxer spring was waaaaaayyyyy too stiff.
              My guess - note guess - is that the Ducati's spring rate is stiffer due to the shorter length and thicker coils. With the GS spring installed and the preload adjuster almost all of the way out the GS750 rear felt pretty good by sitting on it and jumping on the pegs. I'll get a chance to ride it hard next time I'm in Chicago.

The old GS shock was complety worn out so this is a fairly decent and CHEAP upgrade.

Comment

So, to recap, what is the verdict on what fits on a GS1150? Will a CBR929 shock work?

-KR

Comment

I have only used the ones from 900RR's and they work great

Comment

Is the 1150 shock 300mm then or did I buy the wrong one?

Dan
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T112 View Post
                      I have only used the ones from 900RR's and they work great
                      The Works Performance Applications Guide lists the 900RR shock as 12.6" in length where the GS1150 is listed as 13". Did you notice any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Is the 1150 shock 300mm then or did I buy the wrong one?

Dan
                        The 1150 shock should be 13" or 330mm. 300mm is going to be way to short - unless you're lowering the rear.

Comment

That's what I thought... but I bought a 900RR shock as i saw one pretty cheap on Ebay & it is 300mm so now I am confused with either what I bought being wrong or what Big T thinks is a 900RR isn't...

The 900RR shock has compression damping on it & a cylinder so prob a better shock than the Ducati all told.

Here's some pics of the Duc shock fitted on my build thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=149334

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

the 900 RR

The 900 rr shock may be a bit shorter but it is stiffer and holds the bike up better. there is a lot less sag than with the 1150 shock. trust me it's a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T112 View Post
                              The 900 rr shock may be a bit shorter but it is stiffer and holds the bike up better. there is a lot less sag than with the 1150 shock. trust me it's a lot better.
                              It's better than the stock 1150 shock, but I doubt it's better than the Ducati unit that IS 13". Sag is a setting that you can adjust with preload and the right springs. If you want a lower rear get the 900RR unit. Personally, I don't want a lowered bike. It's all up to personal preferences.

Comment

lower

Yes I did not factor that in. I did want my bike a little lower but with the RR shock it still sat higher than wheb I sat on my 1150 shock. it did not go down near as far. I found it to have a superior ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X