No announcement yet.

GS1150 cheap rear shock upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I'd known it was shorter at the start... I really don't need mine lower as the wheel swap is already costing me clearance.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Big_T112 View Post
      Yes I did not factor that in. I did want my bike a little lower but with the RR shock it still sat higher than wheb I sat on my 1150 shock. it did not go down near as far. I found it to have a superior ride.
      I doubt if it sat high without a rider. With a rider, if you dropped that much then your spring is wrong for your weight, or your preload isn't adjusted correctly, or both.

With the 900RR the rear will sit lower due to the length of the shock being shorter. Stiffining up the spring isn't the answer to compensate for a shorter shock unless you want a lower rear to begin with. It sounds as if you do.

Now, if you lower the rear, you really should lower the front accordingly or you screw with the bikes geometry. If you lower both the front and rear then you loose cornering clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        I wish I'd known it was shorter at the start... I really don't need mine lower as the wheel swap is already costing me clearance.
        Get the Ducati shock then. You can even swap the GS spring to the Ducati shock (it fits) if the GS spring rate is good for your weight. They are decent shocks for cheap.

The are two problems with this arrangement - depending on what you classify as a problem.

1) You need to do some trimming on the top (bottom) shock eye for clearance. (The ducati shock must be mounted upside down). This is pretty minor stuff.

2) Since the Ducati shock is mounted upside down it has the potential for road crud to accumulate around the piston seal. This can be dealt with by using the stock GS dust cover, so it's not really a problem at all, just a warning.

Again, this is about the closest shock you'll get as far as length goes and it's a heck of a lot better than forking over a few hundred for aftermarket. If you have the money get a Works (or similar), they are superior to the stock Sachs unit, but they come with a price.

Comment

As above:

Here's some pics of the Duc shock fitted on my build thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=149334

I already had the Ducati shock on the shelf I just also wanted a look at the CBR shock so I bought one of those as well. Had I known it was shorter I wouldn't have bothered.

The Ducati Shock has a shorter stroke so I expect a little less rear travel. I am trying the Ducati shock (on a 750) as my GS spring was soft. (Previous owner was a BIG guy).

With the Ducati spring you can't use the dust cover. I figure if this one works well I'll just hunt out a spare but the lip seal on the shaft should be pretty good at keeping crud out....

I did have to "massage" the top eye a little, basically just removing the split line where it was cast.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

As above:

Here's some pics of the Duc shock fitted on my build thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=149334

I already had the Ducati shock on the shelf I just also wanted a look at the CBR shock so I bought one of those as well. Had I known it was shorter I wouldn't have bothered.

The Ducati Shock has a shorter stroke so I expect a little less rear travel. I am trying the Ducati shock (on a 750) as my GS spring was soft. (Previous owner was a BIG guy).

With the Ducati spring you can't use the dust cover. I figure if this one works well I'll just hunt out a spare but the lip seal on the shaft should be pretty good at keeping crud out....

I did have to "massage" the top eye a little, basically just removing the split line where it was cast.

Dan
            Yea, there's a little less travel, but you're not riding the dirt. How much travel do you need?

For the money I don't think there's a better alternative out there.

Comment

I'm not concerned just stating for "full disclosure". I'd hate for someone else to get a surprise they didn't expect.

It will be magnified by the link so I expect to lose at least a quarter of the travel, I don't see that as an issue but some might.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

They are a lightweight shock meant for a quad... I doubt they'd handle the forces & weight in a mono-shock situation
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

They are a lightweight shock meant for a quad... I doubt they'd handle the forces & weight in a mono-shock situation
                  You're absolutely correct. Even if they were able to handle the load they wouldn't fit due to reservoirs.

Comment

Working...
                  X