Quiet Pipe for GS1000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quiet Pipe for GS1000?

I recently bought a GS1000S that has a V&H pipe on it. It's waaay too loud. The insert has a 2.75 inch hole that you can put your hand down.

Is there a quieter insert that will fit this pipe? Do all V&H pipes have this large an insert?

Is there a quieter pipe option?

I have stock pipe, but they will need to be rechromed before I mount them. Plus the PO cut off the left pipe mounts.

Take the baffle out and repack it. Here's how mine looked when I pulled it:

No packing whatsoever. I packed it with fiberglass and it toned it down dramatically. It's still kind of loud, but nothing like it was. I would consider it acceptable. I guess that depends on your standards though. Alternatively you could search high and low and pay through the nose for a stock exhaust.

Comment

You're right. i haven't even pulled it out to look. I'll try that.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi,
        mine is smaller than that,i'm not at home right now but if i remember the baffle is only 1 1/4''.I'm seeking one with more flow to put on a propipe.Maybe we can swap them?
        Marc
        https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
        1978 GS1000C X2
        1978 GS1000E X2
        1979 GS1000S
        1979 gs1000
        1983 gs400e

Comment

Well, I pulled mine out. It was clean, clean, clean. No packing at all.

However, my core is still much larger and shorter than the one pictured. I will see if V&H will sell me one like yours.

I did repack, and it really took the edge off, but it's still too loud.

Thanks, all!

Kochic, if I can find or buy a small one, I'll send this one to you.

Comment

Hush!!!!!!!

I just made up a silent(more or less)set up for the '81 1100e I recently got. I swapped a V&H Sidewinder for an normal under bike header w no silencer. I grafted a FZR1000 muffler on to it and have a nice stealthy beast that purrs along nicely but gives a wonderful intake howl when it is opened up. Guzzi John-Champlin,Mn

Comment

I thought about doing that, I even have a leftover YZF1000 muffler handy, but it just wouldn't look right.

Comment

Update:

I called V&H, and they told me I need part # 21257, available from Parts Unlimited. Turns out I have part # 21260, Competition Baffle on mine.

It's a $22 part. Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                  Take the baffle out and repack it. Here's how mine looked when I pulled it:

No packing whatsoever. I packed it with fiberglass and it toned it down dramatically. It's still kind of loud, but nothing like it was. I would consider it acceptable. I guess that depends on your standards though. Alternatively you could search high and low and pay through the nose for a stock exhaust.
                  Now, drhach...about that lime green swingarm. I think we need to see the rest of the story.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for sharing info.
                    I will probably order one.
                    Marc
                    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
                    1978 GS1000C X2
                    1978 GS1000E X2
                    1979 GS1000S
                    1979 gs1000
                    1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by piers006 View Post
                      I just made up a silent(more or less)set up for the '81 1100e I recently got. I swapped a V&H Sidewinder for an normal under bike header w no silencer. I grafted a FZR1000 muffler on to it and have a nice stealthy beast that purrs along nicely but gives a wonderful intake howl when it is opened up. Guzzi John-Champlin,Mn
                      Hey piers006 that's an Interesting setup. Do you have a pic or two you might post of your setup?

Comment

Originally posted by piers006 View Post
                        What did you do with that V&H Sidewinder?

I bought a 4-1 V&H recently, a street version, and I love the sound, it's quiet enough you can hear the engine purr, but it makes a great noise when the throttle wide open.

Of course, seeing as I intend to spend a lot of time at the drag strip with it, I should have found a Sidewinder to start with for better clearance...

Comment

Working...
                        X