Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni RS 34mm carbs

Hi,
    Can you put Mikuni RS 34mm on a GS 1150 ? I see here the only difference is the main jet, spacing is ok. Mine is stock with a Yosh pipe.
    I see where 36mm is available, but like the smaller bore since my bike is stock internally

Thanks

I run 34's on my 700 and they work fine. The 34's will give you lots of down low grunt but the 36's would absolutely scream up top for you.

Comment

I'm running 34's on my 80 GS1100ET. Like Billy says, the 36's would give you more power, especially on that 1150. If I could do it over, I would have bought the 36's. I run K&N pods with a Kerker 4-1 pipe. Dyna coils, wires and the coil relay mod but the engine is stock. I went with the 34's because the general consensus at that time was that the 34's would allow for better all around "rideability" and I don't race my bike. From what I can tell though, I don't THINK the 36's would have that much of an adverse effect but I don't have real time experience with that. Hopefully, someone else here will and chime in. What makes me think that is that the newer big bore bikes come stock with 36mm carbs. For my personal tastes, my bike has all the power I need with the 34's to be happy. I just wish my speedo registered more than 85mph so I could tell exactly how fast I'm really going.

Good luck and that's my .02 worth so take it for what it is.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
        I just wish my speedo registered more than 85mph so I could tell exactly how fast I'm really going.
        keep a lookout on ebay uk in that case.... for some proper clocks

Comment

36's on an 1100 or 1150 would be a better match than 34's.

Comment

Carbs

Thanks for the help. Where's the best place to purchase Mikuni carbs and best price?

Alan

Comment

$400 to $425 used on ebay, $700 to $725 retail. Places like Sudco sell retail just type in Mikuni RS flatslide into your Google search window.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                $400 to $425 used on ebay, $700 to $725 retail. Places like Sudco sell retail just type in Mikuni RS flatslide into your Google search window.
                If you wanna go really fast; there is a guy over at Gixxer.com under the oiler classified section that is selling fresh rebuilt/jetted and pods 38mm RS flatslides for $350 delivered in US.

Comment

Send RapidRay a note. He may have some ready to go now. The GS Zone http://www.gszone.biz/carbs.html has them but they're new. I went the new route because I was worn out dealing with carb adjustments. With new, they're pretty much set up correctly right out of the box. Just a bit of tweaking for your specifications and you should be good to go. www.carbparts.com or www.sudco.com are also options. RS Flatslides work best with individual pod filters and you can buy a brand new set of Ape pods from the GS Zone for $59.95. If you do have to get in to carb adjustments, it's WAY easier on the RS carbs than CV carbs. Something to keep in mind though, the throttle spring is A LOT harder on the RS carbs, even at the lightest setting. (there are 3 settings for that) And you need the Push-Pull throttle so there's another $37.95.

You know, you could look around for a nice set of 36mm CV's off a GSXR-750 or 1100 for around $250, maybe less. Give some serious thought to this before your pull the trigger. CV's are much smoother overall.

Don

Comment

Carbs

Thanks for the info..

Comment

And you need the Push-Pull throttle so there's another $37.95.
                      What cable and throttle grip/tube did you use? Was it necessary to use a throttle tube assembly from another bike, or were you able to use the one from your GS1100E?
                      Thanks!
                      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                      s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                        What cable and throttle grip/tube did you use? Was it necessary to use a throttle tube assembly from another bike, or were you able to use the one from your GS1100E?
                        Thanks!

I bought the Motion Pro push/pull and the tube is part of the unit. Just slips on over the handlebar. You can use any grips that you want to. I have a pair of Bikemaster foam grips that I like.

Comment

... And you need the Push-Pull throttle so there's another $37.95...Don
                          You could use a right hand control from a '79 GS850. It is rigged for twin cable throttles and it ties right into your existing wiring.

Comment

I bought the Motion Pro push/pull and the tube is part of the unit. Just slips on over the handlebar. You can use any grips that you want to. I have a pair of Bikemaster foam grips that I like.
                            Thanks!
                            2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                            1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                            2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                            s)

Comment

Hello Just wondering are all flatside carbs, RS or are there different types of flatside. reasoning I'm asking is when looking at ebay and other sites, I've seen flatside carbs, but no mention of being RS models. thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X