1982 1100 EZ Oil Filter Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 1100 EZ Oil Filter Cover

After spending way too much time in the junkyard, I've decided to just break down and buy a new filter cover. I have two questions regarding this. First, did any 82 1100 EZs come out of the factory with an oil cooler? My second question is regarding Suzuki's OEM replacement covers. There seems to be two different covers available, does anyone know the difference between the two? My filter cover appears to be a solid plate of smooth metal with no markings, and two fittings that were previously affixed to a poor performing oil cooler. I'd like to remove it for the time being, until I can get proper non-leaking fittings, and a better heat exchanger, and want to make sure that any cover I order doesn't have any provisions for an oil cooler. Thanks for any help you guys can offer! I'll post some pictures of my current setup in the morning.

Originally posted by Turtleface View Post
    After spending way too much time in the junkyard, I've decided to just break down and buy a new filter cover. I have two questions regarding this. First, did any 82 1100 EZs come out of the factory with an oil cooler? My second question is regarding Suzuki's OEM replacement covers. There seems to be two different covers available, does anyone know the difference between the two? My filter cover appears to be a solid plate of smooth metal with no markings, and two fittings that were previously affixed to a poor performing oil cooler. I'd like to remove it for the time being, until I can get proper non-leaking fittings, and a better heat exchanger, and want to make sure that any cover I order doesn't have any provisions for an oil cooler. Thanks for any help you guys can offer! I'll post some pictures of my current setup in the morning.
    Note: This whole discussion reflates to 16V 1100 motors only.

U seem to have an aftermarket cover. At least one reason (I think) for all these aftermarket covers is because of the expense of getting OEM 12mm banjo bolts and fittings to fit the oil ports either side of the oil filter cover. If you can find fitting to use the factory intended method for attachment of a cooler then you need an 84-86 GS1150 cover. They used to be about $30-$35.

There are pictures floating around of the difference between 1100 and 1150 filter covers; the 1150 cover blocks off the flow to the filter and re directs it (via the right hand banjo port) to the cooler. After going through teh cooler it is returned to the left hand banjo port.Your aftermarket cover captures all the flow in the cover rather than redirecting to the banjo port.

If you want to temporarily run without any cooler , it would be best to get a stock 1100E cover. Without a cooler if you dont use the stock 1100E cover, you will most likey have an oil port blockage that could result in you burning up your engine.To run a cooler, you will either need to A.) go back to your aftermarket cover or B.) use a 1150 cooler cover and connect to the banjo fitings.

Not sure there was ever a factory option for a 1100E cooler, but the 1150 came stock with one. Many 1100's are fitted with after market coolers or 1150 cooler.

Note this has been discussed at length here on the board, but I would not want you to burn up your engine because you mis read something.

Last edited by posplayr; 09-19-2009, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Posplayr, you're the best! That's more or less exactly what I need to know.
      Here's some more story about this odd contraption bolted onto the front of my bike. The fittings on this plate are located approximately where the fittings on the 1150 plate should be. On the internal side of the plate, there are two tubes brazed onto the fittings, which extend into the motor. I assume this is for blocking oil flow to the filter, and rerouting it into the cooler. I received the cooler in a plastic bag, as the PO took it off, since it was causing an overheating issue. I have the fittings "jumped" with a short piece of hose, and a pair of hose clamps. It seems to work well enough, but the clamps do leak every now and then, plus, this rubber hose is bound to swell and fail one day. So, looks like I'll be purchasing a new oil filter cover.

The plate looks very well made, albiet a bit dirty. I was considering taking it down to it's components when I get the new one on, and maybe trying to set it up for proper use. Is it wise(r) to use AN fittings, if I can retro-fit the plate? I like the look of a nice stainless steel line, and wouldn't mind using them, provided I can get it to not leak. Well, too much, anyways.

Comment

If adding the cooler caused overheating problems, something is not right with the way that method routed the oil. I would use the factory provision, with an entire GS1150 cooler assembly (cooler, lines, filter cover, banjo bolts), or use your existing cooler with the 1150 lines and banjos connected to the factory-provided outlets. If you don't plan on using the cooler for now, simply take the modified plate off and use a stock OEM 1100E filter cover as shown in Pos's pic (the EZ cover won't be painted black). I'm using the 1150 set-up and it works pretty well, with no leaks.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
        Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Yeah, I'm mostly looking to put it back into a stock configuration for the moment. It made it through the summer, and now that the weather's finally turning cool, I just want to be able to ride without dripping oil on my exhaust. It's been doing just fine without the cooler, and I'm going to research building my own over the winter, and hopefully have it installed before it gets back to 115 degrees next year. I know the OE stuff is pretty decent, and certain to work, but I'm looking for a certain aesthetic that the stock unit can't provide, and am willing to spend a little cash and time to get it just the way I want it. I'll bookmark this thread and post pictures of this oil filter plate and cooler, once I get the new filter cover installed, and see if anyone can identify it. I suppose it's possible it was fabricated.

I'd like to take a quick moment and remark on the attitudes and people on this site. Sometimes, in other corners of the web, people can be...well, let's be straight, people can be a bunch of elitist pricks. I've been mocked and ridiculed for asking questions that seemed stupid or easy to veteran members of other sites. I don't get any vibe like that here. Everyone's more than happy to share information and ideas, and help out in every possible way. It's really quite astounding in today's age of constant shauden freuden. Bravo, people of GS Resources, bravo. I think I'll make myself at home, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
          X